What is the purpose of scrobbling toggles in PA settings

John Titor

The last time I checked, scrobbling via last.fm scrobbler apps (simple/official) works without having to enable either of these settings. The scrobbler apps just need notification access. So what does these toggles do exactly? Does enabling them send some kind of broadcast to these apps? Or something else?

IMG_20210408_160558.jpg

TBH I would rather have a direct last.fm scrobbling feature. As in entering last.fm credentials in Poweramp and Poweramp sending track info to last.fm via API. It's how Freezer app does 🙄. Current toggles are not so much useful, they don't affect scrobbling so far I have observed.

Recent Androids have enough APIs for music info and everything usually works out of the box, but older ones (Androids 5-7, which are still supported by Poweramp) may need those options to be activated for the scrobbling support.

On 4/10/2021 at 4:31 PM, FabioGnecco said:

One of my phones (a Samsung J2 Core with Android Go 8.0) doesn't enable Notification Access, therefore i cannot use a scroblble app

Yeah that's a problem. I too, have an old Android go device too and as notification listener module is missing, I can't enable give notification access to third party apps. I tried giving bind notification listener service permission via ADB but it didn't work  :( So probably there's no way around this except using native scrobbling features.

I would support a last.fm integration inside Poweramp. And looks like last.fm already has an official API for scrobbling https://www.last.fm/api/scrobbling

Archived