[Output] FEATURE REQUEST - Use Oboe output in Poweramp

John Titor

Any reason Poweramp is not taking advantage of the new open source Oboe audio output for Android by Google? 

I looked at output settings but I only found OpenSL ES, AudioTrack, Hi-res output option. I could not find any option to switch to AAudio output.

AAudio output API was developed for newer devices (Android 8+) some time ago and it improves the performance.

They have also launched Oboe, an audio API for low latency output.

> Oboe takes advantage of the improved performance and features of AAudio on Oreo MR1 (API 27+) whilst maintaining backward compatibility (using OpenSL ES) on API 16+.

Quoted from https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2018/10/introducing-oboe-c-library-for-low.html

• 3 weeks later...

I have created this thread few weeks ago. I haven't recieved a reply yet. So I am guessing External API category is the wrong place. This is a feature request so I am dropping it here. (I don't know how to move a thread to another category) anyway this feature is much wanted,at least for me, AAudio has lower latency.

• 3 months later...

Hi again. According to https://developer.android.com/ndk/guides/audio/aaudio/aaudio , AAudio has two output formats `AAUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_I16` and `AAUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_FLOAT`. Does the later format allow 24bit output? If yes, can it be used to create low latency audio stream? Current (OpenSL ES) Hi-res output produces sound of high bitrate but at the cost of high latency.

Oboe is a wrapper over AAudio. AAudio is wrapper over (Native) AudioTrack API for media player case scenario (it’s a bit different for low latency use case, but that is not intended for media players). 

AAudio is actually implemented in Poweramp, but disabled as it gives zero benefits.

PS On second thought, I will probably re-enable AAudio output to avoid further requests and questions 😉

16 hours ago, maxmp said:

AAudio is wrapper over (Native) AudioTrack API for media player case scenario (it’s a bit different for low latency use case, but that is not intended for media players). 

So basically it just calls java layer to produce the audio stream? Like how AudioTrack does? AudioTrack is a very old native API IIRC and AAudio was implemented in Android 8.0, so I was kinda expecting some improvements. And since Oboe just falls back to OpenSL ES on android 7.1 or older. I thought it was better than OpenSL ES.

16 hours ago, maxmp said:

AAudio is actually implemented in Poweramp, but disabled as it gives zero benefits.

Oh I was thinking of using it as an alternative to OpenSL ES.

🙄🤔

• 4 weeks later...

Archived