Add Year as a List Option in the Library

niczoom

Poweramp already supports year sorting for albums and tracks.

I did see these options.

But no, I meant as I first said above. In the main 'Library' area (All Songs, Albums, Artists ..... etc) to have another 'coloured circle' with 'Year'. This would then bring up a similar look to either the Artists or Albums page but all songs (tracks) would be organized in whatever their 'Year' tag is set too. Blackplayer added a similr option a few months back and I found it useful to shuffle play my collection based on the tracks year. Ive added an attachment to show how Blackplayer integrates this.

Hope this clarifies my request a bit better!

bpYear.jpg

Edited by niczoom

• 2 weeks later...

Max, any thoughts on my suggestion from a while back of creating a user-definable Library category option? I know it would be a bit more work initially, but it would easily handle all of the varied requests for special/new categories that pop up periodically, and save a lot of work long-term. It would make Poweramp's already-impressive Library system hugely more flexible, and be a great selling point.

The basic premise was simply to allow the user to define their own Library Categories as follows:

• First choose the sorting order from a list, with tickboxes to enable items such as Artist, Album, Genre, Year, Composer, Disc#, Track#, Folder, Filename, Date Modified/Added, etc. Drag items up and down the list to set the order.
  • Optionally then choose (again using simple tickboxes) which of those items should act as a 'layer separator' to determine how many drill-down levels would be available - e.g. setting no grouping at all would result in one long flattened list.

I added a few more thoughts on possible expansions to that basic concept in this thread:

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to currently use release dates for sorting? My problem is for example, one artist I listen to has released 4 albums this year. When I look at his album list (I sort by year) they are completely out of order for when they were released for 2019. I've seen some websites that started adding the date following the year in the year tag field (ex: 2019-11-30) and I tried that for both albums but it didn't work. The year still shows, but Poweramp still sorted alphabetically. I'm guessing Poweramp completely ignores everything after the first 4 digits. Is there currently a method for this or does this need to be a request?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 7:46 AM, maxmp said:

Got it. So it should be Years leading to the albums for those years with songs inside just for those years, right?

That would be amazing! I had a Windows Phone for much longer than I should have, but I got very attached to the way Groove organized music. My library was sorted Year>Album, clicking on the album opened up the tracks screen. If you could do that on Poweramp I'd very much appreciate it, thanks!

On 11/16/2019 at 5:47 PM, andrewilley said:

Max, any thoughts on my suggestion from a while back of creating a user-definable Library category option? I know it would be a bit more work initially, but it would easily handle all of the varied requests for special/new categories that pop up periodically, and save a lot of work long-term. It would make Poweramp's already-impressive Library system hugely more flexible, and be a great selling point.

The basic premise was simply to allow the user to define their own Library Categories as follows:

• First choose the sorting order from a list, with tickboxes to enable items such as Artist, Album, Genre, Year, Composer, Disc#, Track#, Folder, Filename, Date Modified/Added, etc. Drag items up and down the list to set the order.
  • Optionally then choose (again using simple tickboxes) which of those items should act as a 'layer separator' to determine how many drill-down levels would be available - e.g. setting no grouping at all would result in one long flattened list.

I added a few more thoughts on possible expansions to that basic concept in this thread:

Andre

Very well put, Andre! That sums it all up! Yeah, hope @maxmp can... he can!

40 minutes ago, invaderzim said:

Very well put, Andre! That sums it all up! Yeah, hope @maxmp can... he can!

Every time I see feature requests pop up for pretty-much anything in the Category options / sorting areas, I keep thinking that this User-Customisable Category concept that I've been banging on about for years would actually achieve the desired result perfectly. :)

I can only assume that my idea either does not fit in with @maxmp's long-term roadmap for PA, or it would involve a lot more internal re-coding than would appear to be the case just looking from the outside.

Andre

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 10:10 PM, maxmp said:

Custom categories is a planned feature, but (static predefined) Years category will be there too.

This is planned to be implemented after the next major update which is equalizer focused (parametric/configurable equalizer and relted). Thanks!

Was reviewing this thread and got excited to have read again your response, Max. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 11/16/2019 at 5:47 PM, andrewilley said:

Andre

This Andre.