Support for multiple ARTIST field for vorbis tag

Hive

I use multiple ARTIST fields in my FLAC audio file to save multi-artists information. However, Poweramp does not seems to support it now.

Any plans to support this feature? 

Further more, the ALBUM_ARTIST field can also be supported.

+1, I also use multiple artist fields in FLAC files (as encouraged by xiph) but they don't show up. Requesting support for multiple artist tags, separated by comma (,).

Would also request that multiple artist tags in mp3 files are separated by comma. RIght now they're just separated by a space, so you can't differentiate between the artists.

If this is hopefully implemented I think the current delimiter of ";" or you can set your own in Settings -> Library -> Scanner - Other - Symbols to split multiple Genres. This will hopefully change to split the multi-entry fields of Artist, Album Artist and Genre.

3 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

Settings -> Library -> Scanner - Other - Symbols to split multiple Genres. This will hopefully change to split the multi-entry fields of Artist, Album Artist and Genre.

That would make a lot of sense to me. Plus Composer, for those who use it. Some tagging formats (such as Vorbis) allow multiple instances of the same tag too of course, which makes the task easier still.

Andre

19 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

If this is hopefully implemented I think the current delimiter of ";" or you can set your own in Settings -> Library -> Scanner - Other - Symbols to split multiple Genres. This will hopefully change to split the multi-entry fields of Artist, Album Artist and Genre.

Appreciated to know that, However It only works with Genre and currently there's no delimiter available to split any tags other than Genre.

I vaguely remember someone saying this is a limitation based on androids os. It's only possible by a few apps that are embedding additonal information during a PC to Phone Sync and it's not possible using a tag alone. You would think it would be possible to circumvent this if you really wanted to.

6 hours ago, Absinthequ said:

I vaguely remember someone saying this is a limitation based on androids os. It's only possible by a few apps that are embedding additonal information during a PC to Phone Sync and it's not possible using a tag alone. You would think it would be possible to circumvent this if you really wanted to.

Well, may be. But I can't imagine how Android OS can make such a limitation. Currently I've found foobar2000 that supports multi-comment for Artist, both on Windows and Android. Though it has some problem on Android like that it doesn't show all artists in listviews, but I can search all artists that exist in the vorbis comment, and the results, the songs related to those artists, is able to show.

I doesn't use any sync utils for foobar in Android. Thus, analysing multiple tags(vorbis comments) is still possible, I think.

That's what I've seen. I've experimented in other android players and there's a bunch of conflicts displaying artists. It would be nice if this is a limitation of android, if Poweramp could read a different field like "comments" for example, and pick up on artists featured on those songs. I love Spotify's "Appears On" that shows underneath the artists main discography. That would be really nice and I wouldn't care about multiple artists so much if this existed.

• 2 months later...

Support for multiple Artist / Album Artist would be the Bee's Knee's. Use the same delimiter that's specified for multiple Genres. This would correct an issue for those of us that have tagged multiple Artist / Album Artist that is supported in other software on platforms PA doesn't support. I have several collaberation albums like "Union - Elton John;Leon Russell", "Raising Sand - Robert Plant;Allison Krauss", etc. As it is now these show up as Artist / Album Artist "Elton John;Leon Russell", "Robert Plant;Allison Krauss" which is a separate Artist / Album Artist. I would really like these albums to show up under each of the Artists / Album Artist. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since I believe that @maxmp has built his own database I do not think PA would be limited by what android does. To me, the support for multiple Artists / Album Artists is the biggest thing missing from PA's music organization functionality.

1 hour ago, w3wilkes said:

To me, the support for multiple Artists / Album Artists is the biggest thing missing from PA's music organization functionality.

I must admit it would be a nice feature, ideally implemented just like multiple Genres and using the same user-configurable delimiter.

Andre

On 1/19/2020 at 2:57 PM, w3wilkes said:

Since I believe that @maxmp has built his own database I do not think PA would be limited by what android does. To me, the support for multiple Artists / Album Artists is the biggest thing missing from PA's music organization functionality.

It's the biggest thing missing from any player in android. This would bring in so many users looking for this feature.

If multiple Artist names were supported, it might reduce the crazy-long 'Artists' list on my device. I have so many duets/etc (especially in soundtrack albums) which currently create a lot of 'phantom' artist entries such as "Idina Menzel ; Kristen Chenoweth", "Idina Menzel ; William Youmans", "Idina Menzel ; Joel Grey", etc.  (it's Guess the Album time... :) )

Of course on the downside, there would then be a lot of duplicated tracks within Artist view, because each song that was by more than one artist would have to appear twice (or more), once for each contributing person.

Andre 

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Of course on the downside, there would then be a lot of duplicated tracks within Artist view, because each song that was by more than one artist would have to appear twice (or more), once for each contributing person.

When "All Songs" is listed by "Song Title" the "Artist"(s) could scroll back and forth and include all "Artists" specified in the tagging. When "All Songs" is listed by Artist you would then see a song listed multiple times under each of the artists in the Artist tag, but the duplicated songs would not be together. I don't see this as a problem, but as it should be.

I decided to experiment with this over the weekend to see what this would look like. I used Genre to make this happen (because it works with multiple tags like we want "Multiple Artists" to work) and I used the artist "Lil Wayne". I used him because I know he has tons of Guest Appearances. I tagged every single song in my library with him using "Lil Wayne" as a Genre and pretended this was a "Multiple Artists" enabled category. This is what I found:

In the "Artist" category, for Lil Wayne, I have 171 songs and 42 albums listed.
In the "Genre" category (that I'm pretending is "Multiple Artists"), for Lil Wayne, I now have 241 songs and 109 albums listed.

You can see I have 67 albums that feature Lil Wayne and only 42 albums of his own releases. This is great that all of the songs with him are listed under Lil Wayne, but.. I found it congested because of the sorting. Most of the sorting options leave Lil Waynes albums lost in the crowd. Lil Waynes albums need listed first and then the list generated by the "Multiple Artists" designator should follow.  It would be nice if this was set up something like Spotify, where all the main albums are listed, then the features are listed under "Appears On".

I'm not going to be picky though. This could really just be a new category that generates a giant list and we keep the original Artists and Album Artists as is. That would be good enough for me.

There could be some clever logic that looks at the Album Artist tag, and where it matches one of the Artist tags then the album is treated as being handled first, but if not it is treated as being a 'featured on' artists and so comes later in the list? But it's this sort of anomaly that makes me think there is probably more work in implementing this feature than initially meets the eye.

Andre

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, w3wilkes said:

Was hoping multiple Artist / Album Artist would show up in 862, but I won't give up hope.

From what Max was saying in other threads, I think it might not be quite as simple as we are all assuming, and it's perhaps not something that's on the imminent list.

Andre

On 3/15/2020 at 12:35 AM, w3wilkes said:

Was hoping multiple Artist / Album Artist would show up in 862, but I won't give up hope.

I'm still hoping too. Let's look forward together. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived