AGC feature (Automatic volume balanced)

Djfox

Every time I listen to music,The volume of each song is different. I hope that I can get a feature that can balance the volume of each song,so I don't have to adjust volume every time,Thank you Poweramp team.

It's called ReplayGain, and is in Settings > Audio > Replay Gain. Your music does have to be tagged correctly in the first place for this to work though (lots of encoders add it anyway, or use something like foobar2000 if you want to add it later).

Andre

26 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

It's called ReplayGain, and is in Settings > Audio > Replay Gain. Your music does have to be tagged correctly in the first place for this to work though (lots of encoders add it anyway, or use something like foobar2000 if you want to add it later).

Andre

Sorry, I don't understand what do you mean music have to be ragged,Is it mean I should add music tag info like artist and album information at first?

By the way,which source should I choose between album and track?

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Djfox said:

Sorry, I don't understand what do you mean music have to be ragged,Is it mean I should add music tag info like artist and album information at first?

If you want Poweramp to play your music with a defined volume level, it has to know the existing volume in the first place, so that it can then adapt its preamp accordingly.

This information resides in the metadata, the so called tags. You'll have to obtain a software that measures the volume and then fills the tags, then Poweramp can use this information.

Whether you want each song to have the same maximum volume or preserve existing differences in volume between songs of an album is up to you.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:34 AM, Djfox said:

Thank you!

This way so you don't have to re-add your music to your device. Foobar2000 for android has a built in RG scanner, just scan your library in that, it will edit the tags. Uninstall foobar2000, go back into Poweramp and turn on replay gain normalization.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:34 PM, Djfox said:

Is it mean I should add music tag info like artist and album information at first?

The same tag area that contains data like artist, title, album, etc can also contain a tag called 'ReplayGain'. All this contains is one value that logs the maximum volume that occurs anywhere within the track.

The playback software (PA) can then adjust each track separately so that the peak level gets raised or lowered so as to match your desired listening level. Normally this would not be 100% by the way, the track is maximised to about -14dB below full-scale (this is adjustable within PA's settings) to allow for processing headroom by EQs etc.

The difference between using 'track' and 'album' modes occurs at the tag creation stage. With 'track' gain, each track only has its own individual gain value for its own particular maximum peak level. With 'album' tagging, the software also scans ALL of the tracks from one album, then finds the single loudest peak across all of them and adds an extra tag to each track based on that overall album maximum. Selecting this mode means that some quieter tracks will remain quieter than others, but they will all have the same relative volume across one album. This is useful if you are dealing with a continuous, gapless concert for example, where one movement is deliberately gentle/quiet while others are much louder - you don't want the quiet section to suddenly jump up in volume compared to the others, so the gain setting is based on the loudest bit of the whole album rather than track-by-track.

For more info, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain .

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

I have another question about replaygain. If I select to use Album Gain in PA but there is not Album Gain information, will PA default to using Track Gain or No Replaygain? I ask this because I have some compilations that require to be normalized based on track, but overall I prefer to use Album Gain, so in these instances, I only scan for track gain.

Archived