On Queue End

griff

Hi everyone. 

The latest version of Poweramp that I have (v3-build-830-play), has a feature in Settings > Library > Queue, called On Queue End. I'm not sure which of the two options it contains to use, as I am unsure what they do... The options are: 1. Stay in Queue / repeat Queue, or 2. Return to previous category. I've set it to the second option because I don't want my queue to repeat, however, I'm not sure what the "category" is. Is that the music I was listening to on the fly (prior to queueing any music up)? 

Recently when using Poweramp in Android Auto, I might be listening to some music I'd previously queued up on my phone, and I get the urge to listen to something else. So I say "OK Google, play BAND NAME, ALBUM NAME, album." And it will play. BUT after the first song, it reverts back to the queue. Is this On Queue End setting affecting this? 

When you queue up some specific tracks (or even whole albums) they will interrupt your 'normal' playback category (album, artist, folder, etc) until all of the queued tracks that you have requested have been played. This can happen Immediately, or after the end of the current track (which is what you are experiencing), depending on the option in Settings > Library > Queue. If you decide you no longer want to listen to the rest of your queued tracks, view the Queue in the library screen and tap the three-dots menu icon and 'Clear Queue'.

The 'On Queue End' option tells Poweramp what you want to do once the last song in the Queue has been played. The default is to return to playing where you left off in your chosen playback category (i.e. go back to the album/artist/folder etc that you were listening to before you enqueued the temporary songs).The other option tells PA o stop at the end of the Queue (or to repeat the Queue, depending on how you have set the Repeat icon in the Player screen).

Andre

Thanks guys! Ok, I am clear on what is exactly what now. 

So now to my main reason for asking about this... I think I've found a bug, but it might only occur when using Poweramp in Android Auto. Here's what has happened (a couple of times now). 

I have been playing some albums that are queued, and playback is NOT in Android Auto (I'm using headphones plugged into my phone). Then I jump in my car and I continue playing the same queued music with Android Auto. But now I use Android Auto's voice control to select a new album to play, and it begins playing it (this interrupts the queued music). However, after the first song on the album, playback jumps back to the queued music. And this is annoying because I was expecting the whole album to play, and really it should. This has only happened to me when using Poweramp in Android Auto.  

So my question is this... Is this a bug that Poweramp is having with Android Auto not knowing it was instructed to play a whole album or is there a Poweramp setting that I need to tweak so this will work how I want it to? 

EDIT: After going back over the answers you guys have given, I'm 99.9% sure the 2nd option in On Queue End, needs to be set. I think I had it on the first option. So I will test and get back to this thread. 

37 minutes ago, griff said:

I have been playing some albums that are queued, and playback is NOT in Android Auto (I'm using headphones plugged into my phone). Then I jump in my car and I continue playing the same queued music with Android Auto. But now I use Android Auto's voice control to select a new album to play, and it begins playing it (this interrupts the queued music). However, after the first song on the album, playback jumps back to the queued music. And this is annoying because I was expecting the whole album to play, and really it should. This has only happened to me when using Poweramp in Android Auto.  

So my question is this... Is this a bug that Poweramp is having with Android Auto not knowing it was instructed to play a whole album or is there a Poweramp setting that I need to tweak so this will work how I want it to? 

IMHO : Feature, not Bug. Why ? Because the normal mode of playing is NOT the queue. The queue is the excpetional way of doing things in Poweramp, and as such it takes precedence. The rule is : as long as there is anything in the queue, play it. There is something in the queue, so it is played. the question would be : Would it not be more sensible for Poweramp to interpret the command to play a single song ( in this situation where it is playing the queue ) as having to add the song to the queue ? Which it does in a way : it adds it at the top of the queue. Or so I choose to see it.

What should you do ? Create yourself a playlist and play that instead of the queue. When you want to play a single song, album, whatever on the fly, queue that, and when in the car, tell the car to queue that. And set the queue up so that it return to the playlist when the queue is finished.

I still think it's a bug because when the same scenario occurs when I'm NOT playing music in Android Auto, this does not happen. Specifically by "this", I mean the following: I will have music queued, I play some of it. Then I decide to play something else, so I select a new album, and it will play that whole album. Not just the first song. But in Android Auto it plays just the first song, then goes back to the queue. 

Thanks for your suggestion! I don't think it's all that practical for me though. I would need to create playlists in advance for the music I want to listen to, which could be anything from my very large library. To save time I could create just 10 or so playlists, let's say one for each of my favourite albums. But then that limits my listening choices to just those 10 or so playlists. 

Hmm, if there are any unplayed items left in the Queue, Poweramp normally would continue to play them (by default, the queue starts after the end of any currently playing track). So if you start something else playing manually without either finishing the Queue first, or Clearing it, the queue ought to continue resuming, to play the tracks that it has been told to, until all of your queued material is finished. However I've just checked it, and this does not seem to be happening in the normal phone interface (i.e. unfinished queues are no longer resumed). I'd have to try it in Android Auto to see what happens there.

Andre

Ahhhh... That make perfect sense then. I wish there were an Android Auto voice command that would allow us drivers to clear the queue! And / or I wish Poweramp had the settings for Queue that it had in version 2, where we had greater control over the music. 

Just for clarity here's what happens with this scenario for me when currently playing music from the Queue. My settings are "Stay in Queue..." along with Start Playing Queue immediately is OFF (so it starts after current playing song).

• Music playing from Queue
  • "Hey Google - Play Album Harvest"
  • 1st song of album Harvest plays
  • When 1st song of Harvest finishes the Queue is resumed at the next song 

Since I requested PA to play an Album it seems like the whole album should play before PA goes back to the Queue where it left off.

Just did another test. This time NOT using Android Auto.

1. Music is queued and playing. 
  2. I change playback to another album (Ladel O' Deth by The Flaming Intestines), it plays all the way through (first song to last). 
  3. Playback stops, and queue does not resume.
  1. Then I decide to go back and play the music that was queued.
  2. It all plays, then I get the last song from Ladel O' Deth again. I don't know why.

My settings are as follows... 

Settings > Library > Queue: Start Playing Queue - Immediately DISABLED
Settings > Library > Queue: On Queue End - Return to previous category

18 minutes ago, griff said:

Just did another test. This time NOT using Android Auto.

1. Music is queued and playing. 
  2. I change playback to another album (Ladel O' Deth by The Flaming Intestines), it plays all the way through (first song to last). 
  3. Playback stops, and queue does not resume.
  1. Then I decide to go back and play the music that was queued.
  2. It all plays, then I get the last song from Ladel O' Deth again. I don't know why.

My settings are as follows... 

Settings > Library > Queue: Start Playing Queue - Immediately DISABLED
Settings > Library > Queue: On Queue End - Return to previous category

Yes, that's a bug ... one you probably like though 😀. It should have switched back to the queue after each song that you manually started.

2 hours ago, blaubär said:

Yes, that's a bug ... one you probably like though 😀. It should have switched back to the queue after each song that you manually started.

Can anyone else confirm that this is indeed a bug (unplayed queued music should automatically resume playing after one manually selected song is played)? It's not that I don't believe you blaubär, it's just that this has only ever happened to me this week, and I've been using Poweramp for 9 years. Granted, the way queue works has changed significantly from v2 to v3 (we have less control over it now IMO). But also this seems very user-unfriendly to me. 

55 minutes ago, griff said:

Can anyone else confirm that this is indeed a bug (unplayed queued music should automatically resume playing after one manually selected song is played)? It's not that I don't believe you blaubär, it's just that this has only ever happened to me this week, and I've been using Poweramp for 9 years. Granted, the way queue works has changed significantly from v2 to v3 (we have less control over it now IMO). But also this seems very user-unfriendly to me. 

What's missing is an option to start the queue neither immediately nor after the currently playing song but after the current album/category has ended.

I tried this in Android Auto by the way, and can confirm the queue does continue to restart until of of the queued tracks are finished.

Actually, to be honest, I found this out purely by accident as I'd left some items in the queue while doing the earlier testing and when I later connected to my car it restarted the queue as @griff has described.

This is actually how I would have expected PA to behave normally, I'm not sure why it is only happening in Android Auto. One result is intended behaviour, and the other is a bug... but I think it depends on your point of view as to which is which! :) We need some input from Max on this one I think.

Andre

1 hour ago, blaubär said:

What's missing is an option to start the queue neither immediately nor after the currently playing song but after the current album/category has ended.

Agreed!

13 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I tried this in Android Auto by the way, and can confirm the queue does continue to restart until of of the queued tracks are finished.

Actually, to be honest, I found this out purely by accident as I'd left some items in the queue while doing the earlier testing and when I later connected to my car it restarted the queue as @griff has described.

This is actually how I would have expected PA to behave normally, I'm not sure why it is only happening in Android Auto. One result is intended behaviour, and the other is a bug... but I think it depends on your point of view as to which is which! :) We need some input from Max on this one I think.

Andre

Yes, we need to know which is intended. Hopefully Max chimes in. :)

Queue won’t be started if all tracks in it have “played” status (no >> icon next to tracks in Queue, queue counter is like 10/10). Queue still continues to contain those played tracks and can be played manually again.

53 minutes ago, maxmp said:

Queue won’t be started if all tracks in it have “played” status 

The question here was what should happen if there are still unplayed tracks left in the queue, but you manually start playing some other music - e.g. from one of the library views. In the main app, the queue currently seems to stay dormant and does not re-trigger again in order to play the remaining enqueued tracks. However in Android Auto, the queue automatically restarts again at the end of any currently-playing track and continues to do so until all of the queued items have all been completed (which I thought was expected behaviour).

(Which reminds me by the way, is there any chance you could re-add the original option for Start Queue at End of Current Category to the Settings page, as a lot of people seem to miss that feature from v2. Thanks)

Andre

Archived