Getting 'Failed to play - Storage Unmounted' after latest update

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a similar problem. My android phone, Samsung, recently had an update. I went to Poweramp and it said 'storage unmounted'. Storage was fine so I did a full rescan and now it says ''Doesn't look like anything to me' The titles of my playlist are there but no music files anywhere. I unmounted and mounted the storage and did full rescan again, still nothing. I get something called Folders Selection but it only has Internal storage listed. It is like Poweramp cannot see my SD card that has 90GB of music on it. Help!

On 12/28/2020 at 11:15 AM, andrewilley said:

Revoke app access permissions first (in Android settings) then check that PA's File Access Legacy Mode is turned off, then go to Settings > Library > Music Folders and grant access permission again to the folder you want to use (not the whole drive root level) and then tick the folder to allow PA to scan it. You may then need to do a Full Rescan.

Andre

I didn't understand the posts where you moved my original posts because I was looking for settings>misc under my phone, not the PA app! I decided to look for other posts with the same issue and found this one. When I got to Music Folders I didn't know what to do there because I assumed Enable meant enabled. Finally I hit it and it took me back to the Library page where it showed folders being scanned and in seconds a beautiful Bach cantata started playing (must be the first 'song' in my library). I have had this app for years, back in the days where you got to choose the album art out of 4 choices. I don't know how I found this app so many years ago when I moved all my music from CD's to Itunes then to phone. Finding an app that handles classical music is difficult because most assume everything is a song. But I stuck with PA and it has paid off. Thank you Mr. Willey, you have saved this not so technically advanced musician from being really depressed in the new year.

@GustavMahler1911 @rtolway Glad you both got this sorted. This seems to be related to Samsung's Android 11 update implementation on some of their devices, which breaks permissions that had previously been granted. Sadly there is nothing PA can do about it internally as the permission needs to be granted again at a system level.

Of course the real underlying issue is Google's ridiculous desire to limit/obfuscate users' access to their own purchased storage, which is completely contrary to an OS's primary design functionality:

An Operating System (OS) is an interface between a computer user and computer hardware. An operating system is a software which performs all the basic tasks like file management, memory management, process management, handling input and output, and controlling peripheral devices such as disk drives and printers.

Andre

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the "storage is unmounted" issue as well.  My music plays fine thru other apps.  I have done a full rescan and now have no folders artists or songs in my library.  When I go to the device sidebar and select the folder in my SD card it tells me unmounted and to select folder thru device sidebar.  All proper permissions are enabled. What gives?

@patpprice Has your Android recently updated itself, perhaps to 11? That can sometimes break permissions.

Try revoking all of the PA app permissions from the Android > Apps menu, then go back into PA Settings > Library > Music Folders and Grant Access again to the specific folder you want to use (not to the root of the SD Card). Then having done that, go back into the Music Folders menu and tick the folder for PA to scan.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I had the same problem. I eventually deleted both Poweramp apps, turned off phone and restarted the phone reloaded both apps again and worked ok, lost playlists though, I thought I had saved them. I am now happy it is working again as I have had the app since 2014 and very happy with it.

BB

I fixed it.

Go into settings for Poweramp, library, music folder, then select all the nessary music folders, then do a rescan. 

After the latest update the settings were set to default. 

Enjoy this amazing app

• 3 months later...

Same issue.  As another app played the tracks I knew the "unmounted SD card" warning was poor guidance in my case.  I solved it with selecting "settings" then "folders" and choosing the music folder where I knew  my tracks were installed.  It then auto scanned just this folder and all is well.  A full rescan of that folder is possible but I never needed to.  Basically "et voila", just remember to rescan if you add tracks and any issues / repeat all above if any issues again.

• 6 months later...
On 5/18/2020 at 5:24 PM, sledgey said:

Clear the data and cache. 

Settings / Apps / Poweramp / Storage / Clear data (which should clear the cache too).

This worked for me.

It works. But you will lose all your Poweramp configuration and playlists 😕

• 2 months later...
On 5/19/2019 at 1:45 AM, Stallion777 said:

The thing is that I'm only getting this problem in Poweramp. As I mentioned in my post, other music players are having no problem reading the music on my SD card, only Poweramp after this last update. And the other reason I know it's not my SD card is that one of my music folders was not on the SD card, but on the smartphone's storage, and I received the same error message when trying to read music from it. My other music app is 'Player Pro', so right now, I'm using it because I'm not having this issue with Player Pro. I really like Poweramp, but right now, with the problems caused by recent updates, I have to say that I'm not too happy with it.  

I had same issue. Go to permissions in Poweramp settings and you have to allow it to read the sd card. For whatever reason the update must've changed that setting. It's nothing to do with the sd card, it's the app settings

• 1 year later...

I have contacted power amp technical support multiple times . They don't give a hoot about your problems.. they're doing absolutely nothing to fix this.. The bottom line is they don't know how to fix it...they don't have the technical skills.. go with another music player like I did..

5 hours ago, Wvad said:

I have contacted power amp technical support multiple times . 

I don't see a single post from you here in the official Support forums - did you perhaps use a different account name? For most people, general Google/Android storage permission issues are resolved by the advice mentioned in this thread and in the FAQs. 

If you still need help, please could you outline exactly what is (or isn't) happening on your device - with details of your device, Android version, etc. and I'll try to help.

Otherwise, if you are happy using a different app now, not sure what the point of your post is?

Andre

• 1 year later...