Getting 'Failed to play - Storage Unmounted' after latest update

After the latest update (Build 828), after a while, when trying to play my music in folders, I get an error: 'Failed to play - storage unmounted'. At first I thought my SD card had gone bad, until I went to play my music using another app I have, and my music played just fine. I've done a re-scan, shut my device off (Motorola Moto G5+), even removed and re-installed the SD card, all to no avail. Then I realized I was having the same problem on another device, but only in Poweramp with the same update. Does anyone know what's going on with this?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This message means Poweramp tries to play song from missing storage. Poweramp doesn't remove tracks automatically from internal database when sdcard/storage is changed, so track entries stay there and attempt to play them will show the message.

If you changed sdcard permanently and don't want missing tracks to hang in Library use Settings / Library / Full Rescan (use once after such storage change).

Note that Poweramp builds prior 824 completely removed missing entries from custom Playlists for Full Rescan.
Poweramp builds 824+ will keep your playlist entries as is, optionally resolving them to the new storage locations (if files match by directory/name).

The thing is that I'm only getting this problem in Poweramp. As I mentioned in my post, other music players are having no problem reading the music on my SD card, only Poweramp after this last update. And the other reason I know it's not my SD card is that one of my music folders was not on the SD card, but on the smartphone's storage, and I received the same error message when trying to read music from it. My other music app is 'Player Pro', so right now, I'm using it because I'm not having this issue with Player Pro. I really like Poweramp, but right now, with the problems caused by recent updates, I have to say that I'm not too happy with it.  

6 hours ago, Stallion777 said:

I really like Poweramp, but right now, with the problems caused by recent updates, I have to say that I'm not too happy with it.  

Check that it is actually the PA update and roll back one version (all previous versions are available from the Downloads tab at the top of the page).

Andre

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just moved my SD card from my old Moto Z Play to a new S8. Getting the same unmounted storage message. I uninstalled/reinstalled Poweramp, no change. V3 Build 838, Unlocker 3 build 301  Google Music finds and plays the songs, no problem. 

Go to Settings > Library > Music Folders and ensure that your new SD Card storage folder is ticked. It's generally best to untick everything initially, and then tick only the folder (or folders) than contains all of your audio subfolders (all subfolders will be selected unless you manually untick any).  Then try a FULL Rescan in Settings > Library.

Andre

I had already checked that the the SD card was Selected in settings. Strangely, I went back and re checked and this time neither Box with selected. I selected the SD card again and the message still came up when I tried to play a song.

The reason I'm nervous about doing a full re scan is that there's a warning that says it will delete files that are not mounted. It seems to me that power app believes the SD card is not mounted when it actually is. Will it delete files?

It won't delete FILES from storage, but it will remove any entries in Poweramp's internal database for files which it can no longer find (i.e. clean up the database of any now-incorrect entries, which is what you want it to do). It will also remove any internal Playlist references to songs that are no longer present in the database.

Andre

OK, I'll try it. I saw that as a solution initially, but was apprehensive as I didn't understand the warning.

Love the app, but a lot of the instructions are above my level of understanding. Your support helps a lot. 

Hey!....It worked!

Thanks!

On 5/18/2019 at 11:47 AM, andrewilley said:

And if a Full Rescan does not work, try a clean reformat of your SD Card and then copy all the contents back again  (using a computer). Then try another Full Rescan, as Android will have invented a new name for the SD Card.

Andre

In my case I dont have a SD card, still I get the same error. I tried rescanning but didnt help. 

Sorry, just now I was able to resolve the issue. I couldnt figure how to delete my previous post tho.

• 1 month later...

I have been having the - failed to play. problem, i have done a full rescan and it seems ok, 

but i do now have another problem, after adding some new discs recently i have noticed a couple of tracks are missing even though they are definitely in the folder i copied over. So why has it not picked them up. For example i have a disc with 15 tracks and it has only picked up 12 , and the other player i have on my phone has picked them ALL up.

Normally that sort of thing will be caused by non-standard embedded tags, file formats that don't read cleanly, etc. Is there anything different about the ones that don't appear in the Library? What happens if you copy those files into a different location (copy them, not move them) and rescan?

Andre

• 1 month later...

@otomakascram that can be:

- broken storage (Poweramp won’t play it even if track is opened from file manager)

- no permissions (Poweramp actually checks them on start, Poweramp can play files opened from file manager)

- path to files changed (e.g. due to the recent ROM update). This is easily fixed by Full Rescan (last item in library settings)

- for non stock roms or any system level mods, something can be broken elsewhere, logs may help to investigate/fix the issue

- hacked/modified Poweramp apk. No fix here

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply.  Let me comment on each.

-Can you explain further what you mean by "broken storage"?  Data corruption?  How do i test/fix this?

-I assume I have permissions since I can open the app and move through the various options. The only thing I can't do is play tracks.  And if there was a permission problem, why wouldn't the message be some sort of security or access message instead of "Storage Unmounted"?

-Already did a Full Rescan (please see my email)

-Not sure what you mean by "non stock" roms or system level mods unless you are referring to some custom coding/changes that I or others have done which is not the case.

-I have not hacked/modified app in any way (see above).

Look forward to your comments.

Marc

• 1 month later...

Same problem here after changing my SD card. I've tried everything listed here in this thread but it just won't stop displaying the "Failed to Play..." message.

I listen to my music daily on the train but I'm now seriously considering another music player which would be a real shame. I've been a Poweramp user for years but this has made me think about switching... it shouldn't really be that hard!