Getting 'Failed to play - Storage Unmounted' after latest update

Thanks for details, but to get help, please provide more context.

Poweramp reinstallation or Full Rescan (last item in Settings / Library, the top Rescan is not a full one) surely will fix issue with invalid file entries in the database, so that's not it

This leaves us to:

- "hacked" Poweramp. Please post your screenshot of Poweramp Settings / About.

- Poweramp can't access/read SD card (due to the broken card, issues with permissions, roms, etc.). This is unfortunately out of Poweramp or my control, but we can try to investigate further.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having the same exact problem with "Failed to Play-storage unmounted" I have tried installing and uninstalling several times. In my case it is happening after moving my music from SD Card to internal storage on my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone running Android Pie, so it couldn't be from the fact that I transferred the SD card from my Motorola Z2 Force to my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone. All files are visible but don't play. They play fine on the VLC player in both storage areas...curious? I will try and reinstall the app again and try some of the things mentioned. I have tried previously checking the storage location and it auto rescanned and showed all the files present but still gave me this message even though all the albums are visible on the interface. I have no problem with this on my Galaxy Tab A tablet running Android Oreo v8. I have Poweramp Max MP running ENTIRELY from the SD card on that and it runs beautiful! I've bever experienced a problem like this with any other app on the Android OS! I'm wondering if this is a DMA channel or interrupt issue.

Edited by Al35540
misspeling

I GOT IT! After checking the folders where your music is do a FULL RESCAN! It's playing great on my Samsung S9 now! Apparently, even when I moved the music from my SD card to main storage, the old tags from my Motorola Z2 Force transferred over. Poweramp reads these and apparently VLC and others do not! Now I just have to put the album covers back in and that works great. WOOHOO!

7 hours ago, Al35540 said:

Poweramp reads these and apparently VLC and others do not!

Poweramp has its own database, it does not use the Android library at all (apart from to initially import any system-based playlists).

When you move files from one place to another (or replace the SD card, which will generate a new name/path and thus PA thinks they are 'new' files) then any old saved links to audio files will be broken. Hence the suggestion to do a FULL Rescan to remove any old erroneous entries (which will always fail) and scan for 'new' files.

Andre

Thanks andrewilley. I did finally do a FULL RESCAN and it worked! I had to make sure I set the folders,(on both drives), that I was going to use then do a full rescan which I found at the bottom of the menu. Poweramp works like a charm now, just like on my tablet! I mostly run Poweramp on the tablet, the Bluetooth audio is phenomenal, but the phone is now a very close second! Both have APT-X HD Bluetooth circuitry. I am running the high end audio plug in as well.

• 1 month later...

I ran into this problem when i changed my SD card.  

I found out why ar first a scan or full scan does not work for some people and what fixed it for me. 

If from inside Poweramp go to settings >> library.  From  there you can try a scan if that does not work before you try a full scan you might want to try this easy fix, as full scan may cause you to lose some things like tags.

Under Full Scan, go into the Music Folder Tab. If like my case you will the SD card icon is unchecked. I guess Poweamp saw it was missing when i changed it. 

Since all my music is on my SD I unchecked all others. Once I left the SD as the only source to scan, Poweramp automatically scanned the card on its own.

Hope this helps get your music back!

4 hours ago, Hawkman said:

If like my case you will the SD card icon is unchecked. I guess Poweamp saw it was missing when i changed it. 

What happened is that Android gave your new SD Card a completely new name (usually made up of eight random digits, but different to what it was before) instead of always just treating it as simply "ExtSdCard" like it used to a few versions ago. It's rather like Windows suddenly deciding to call your D:\ hard drive Q:\ instead, and thus breaking any programs that are reading their data from D:\Foldername\etc.  

Andre

• 1 month later...

Clear the data and cache. 

Settings / Apps / Poweramp / Storage / Clear data (which should clear the cache too).

This worked for me.

Info for those that like me, landed here looking at how to solve the problem.

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2020 at 10:47 AM, Vanyar said:

Clear the data and cache. 

Settings / Apps / Poweramp / Storage / Clear data (which should clear the cache too).

This worked for me.

Info for those that like me, landed here looking at how to solve the problem.

This just worked for me, also. Very pleased about that. Google Play Music had been working pretty well for me but is less slick and now they are pushing you over to YouTube Music

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

Having this storage issue for a few days now, did not notice if there was a recent update on Poweramp...

I can access the folder fine with other apps and listen to them, only Power Amp display this "storage unmounted" error.

A full rescan did not work.

I tried to uninstall but I'm not that surprized it does not work either: Power Amp can't forget the settigns, I even removed the full license app but to no avail. When I resinstall Power Amp shows me imediatelly the last song I tried to play with the dreaded error message.

Is there a way to properly clean-up Poweramp from the phone prior to re-installing ?

Edit : There's also a weird behavior of PA: I removed the folders on the SD Card from the "Music Folders" settings and then re-authorized them. PA then does a new full rescan and display the actual number of files and folders ! So the rescan seems to be able to read the content of the SD Card but I still get the "Storage Unmounted" error when I try to play... 🤨

Edited by Samuel

1 hour ago, Samuel said:

Is there a way to properly clean-up Poweramp from the phone prior to re-installing ?

Poweramp always clears its settings when you uninstall/reinstall, however Android has a Google option to backup and restore app data from the cloud which can bring back your old settings.Try doing a Clear App Data in Android Settings > Apps instead. Do you have any duplicate entries from old scanned files that are no longer present? You can check that by looking and Info/Tags for one of the files that refuses to play - does the filename and full path point to a valid storage location?

Andre

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah - I took some screenshots if that helps. The app doesnt see the SD card at all anymore, but android can when I choose add additional folders/

EDIT: I was able to clear data & cache, and get it working again, Thx!

Screenshot_20201225-075839_Poweramp.jpgScreenshot_20201225-075852_Files.jpgScreenshot_20201225-075924_Poweramp.jpg

@maxmp i like your <rant mode> </rant mode> tags. I agree google seems to be determined to get rid of external sdcards and with each new release they try and fix the screw up of the previous one. I think in the end they will have to relent as too many apps will not be a able to implement the new requirements. As an example, android 10 _DATA was deprecated, android 11 it is back!. Same with libraries apps use. What a mess!! Feels like the uk government is in charge 🤣🤣

Hello,

I'm getting this same issue today and it happened after an Android software update. I tried a Rescan, a full rescan, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling Poweramp. I downloaded a random free music player and it had no problem finding and playing the music on my SD card. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

11 minutes ago, pyrochronos said:

I tried the suggestions from Max and had no luck. It did look like the permissions were denied. I granted all permissions and am still having no luck with a rescan or a full rescan.

Revoke app access permissions first (in Android settings) then check that PA's File Access Legacy Mode is turned off, then go to Settings > Library > Music Folders and grant access permission again to the folder you want to use (not the whole drive root level) and then tick the folder to allow PA to scan it. You may then need to do a Full Rescan.

Andre

I tried that and it did not work, but it did figure out how to get it working:

1. Uninstalled Poweramp 

2. Reinstalled Poweramp

3. Prior to opening Poweramp, granted storage permissions in the Android app settings 

4. Opened Poweramp and chose my initial music root folder and it automatically started scanning properly.

Thanks for helping me and hope that might help people who might also run into the issue.

Matt