Choose which file extentions are played mp3/mp4/flac...

spongezob

Hi!

First of all great app!

I would like to be able to choose which kind of files are played.

For example it does not make sense if Poweramp plays a video mp4 (just the sound).
In this case it would be cool to turn off mp4 as a file extention in settings.

What do you think?

cheers,

It's too time taking process.

Let's take my example.

I often download video and audio with my browser.It downloads both of the file in same 'Download' folder.

In this situation I have to move my downloaded video each and every time when ever I download a video. 

Even an ordinary music player has this tiny option.

I wonder why PA doesn't have this option. It can save huge amount of time 

Thank you so much

• 2 weeks later...

Please add this feature

Separating music and video isn't always practical. In my particular case I use Plex to sync my media (both audio and video) and play in other locations but the in built music player in Plex is dire. So I point Poweramp at the data directory Plex syncs to. But that directory contains both audio and video with completely random file names.

The benefits of using Plex to me outweighs the pain of having video files picked up by Poweramp so for now I'm living with it and in parallel trying to get used to musicolet which is still better that the Plex player but not half as good as Poweramp. It does however have the feature to filter out by file type.

But I don't want to switch to musicolet (up down swipe for next previous track? Who thought that would be a good idea!) 

@maxmp would it be possible to perhaps expose a table of extensions that are permitted to be scanned by PA as a plain text file in the app's user directory? That way if people really have the need to do this, it would be possible to just edit the text file, but without having to clutter up the Settings > Library> Scanner menu?

Andre

From my reading the majority of people moaning about this are simply asking for PA to exclude video files.  I dont know what the number of users who use PA to actually genuinely play the audio from video files is, but I'd hazard a guess it would be insanely small.  It seems to me if you are smart enough to download a music video from you tube or what have you and put it on your phone you should be smart enough to extract just the audio from that video file and save your self some storage.  Unless people are listening to movies as audio as sort of a poor imitation of an eBook or something.

To keep it simple I'd love to see PA simply excluding video by default and a simple option of "Include video files in library scan".  Job done.  

The file type filter would be nice for advanced users

49 minutes ago, didster said:

I dont know what the number of users who use PA to actually genuinely play the audio from video files is, but I'd hazard a guess it would be insanely small.

More than you would think. One of the library updates a while ago broke the ability to play the audio portion of some MP4 encoded files, and quite a few people got upset about it. However at the end of the day, PA is an audio player and the ability to output sound from a video file was more of an unintended bonus rather than a designed feature.

Personally, I've always used folders to tidily manage my music and video collections, and would never allow direct scanning access by players such as Poweramp or Kodi to potentially random folders such as a Download location. 

Andre

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

More than you would think. One of the library updates a while ago broke the ability to play the audio portion of some MP4 encoded files, and quite a few people got upset about it. However at the end of the day, PA is an audio player and the ability to output sound from a video file was more of an unintended bonus rather than a designed 

Surprising!  But I guess each to their own.  I agree on the audio player - I tested maybe 10 other players and only one other could do video audio, most just silently ignored mp4 files, although all play mp4 audio files (m4a).

I also used to manually manage music until I started using Plex.  The ability to access my media from anywhere - both audio and video - and simply press a button on a web app and have it sync albums, playlists, songs, videos and what ever to my phone for offline playing really just changed the way I personally do things.  Its just a bummer Plex gives no control over how it organises the files on the target device - syncing them into random folder names with random file names.  But thats because you are really suppose to be using their own player and not poking around in the plex data directory.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to respond and I really hope in one way or another this can become an option in the future.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived