Is Poweramp corrupting my FLAC files?

• Poweramp version: 2.0.10-build-588-play (Full Version)
  • Device model: Sprint Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900P)
  • Android version: Oreo (8.1.0)
  • ROM: LineageOS (version 15.1-20180723-NIGHTLY-kltedv)

I noticed that after a while, some FLAC files on my phone start getting corrupted. I could tell because it would start always skipping at at the same exact point in a song. I confirmed that the files were corrupted when I copied them back on my computer and did the "flac -t *.flac" command using the flac.exe command-line tool. Maybe it's a bad microSD card (I'm using a genuine SanDisk Extreme PLUS 128 GB formatted as non-portable storage), but I doubt it since I believe I had this issue on my Extreme PLUS 32 GB card as well. I think my pictures and videos are fine and uncorrupted as well (I don't think I have the time to check them all, though).

Anyone else here ever have a similar issue? Is it a Poweramp issue or is it a bad microSD card? Maybe it's an issue with Android or LineageOS?

Thanks.

Very unlikely that Poweramp affects the track itself unless you edit tags. In my opinion, this is an sdcard issue. Check the folder LOST.DIR as this is where android (linux/unix) writes when there is some read/write issue. You will probably find lots of entries but it is not possible to find out to which tracks they relate.Simply delete them. There is a program to check the sdcard at low level, provided by a publisher called Heisse. I used it when my sandisc sdcard was corrupt. Under their guarantee my card was replaced .

h2testw.exe

readme.txt

7 hours ago, flyingdutchman said:

Very unlikely that Poweramp affects the track itself unless you edit tags. In my opinion, this is an sdcard issue. Check the folder LOST.DIR as this is where android (linux/unix) writes when there is some read/write issue. You will probably find lots of entries but it is not possible to find out to which tracks they relate.Simply delete them. There is a program to check the sdcard at low level, provided by a publisher called Heisse. I used it when my sandisc sdcard was corrupt. Under their guarantee my card was replaced .

h2testw.exe

readme.txt

I can't find my LOST.DIR folder. Is it because I formatted it as non-portable internal storage?

Probably. Not that it makes any diference though. I simply mentioned it as an indication of sdcard problems. Have you tried to verify the sdcard by itself?. I suggest you switch your device off before removing or inserting the card..

Just for interest

https://fossbytes.com/android-sd-card-internal-storage-adoptable-storage/

Same issue here. I got GS7 Edge with 64GB SanDisk SD card in it and after update to Poweramp v3 some of my audio files are corrupted in similar way. Every corrupted mp3 file have it's previous size but when I try to play it, every single music player shows only part of original lenght of the song. When I copy that file into computer same story happen. File just seems to be damaged.

To be specific about issue, in Poweramp I'm able to skip that corrupted part where the song break and it play till the end. But other players shows only part of the song from beginning to the corruption point. For example song has 4:00 and the "breakdown" point is in 1:00 then Poweramp shows full length but when it hits 1:00 just end the song and skip to another one. If I skip it with that "slider" to 1:01 then there is no problem. Some other players shows that song has only 1:00.

New Note 8 will not access my SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB to play my music files and it will stop. Went to Sprint and stated which I agree that the version 790 Build will not play anymore. The app states that Poweramp stopped. Deleted the version 790 and installed 709. Version 709 plays fine. 

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

After some more testing and experimentation, I have discovered that my files are actually getting corrupted as soon as I copy them to my phone, but I just didn't know it until I played the files. I just copied an entire FLAC album to my SD card using the USB connection from my phone to my Win10 laptop. I then copied the entire album back and tested it and a couple of songs were messed up. Re-copying only the affected songs to the phone's SD card seemed to fix the issue. In conclusion, this could be an issue with Win10 copying stuff to Android phones through USB. I still a little paranoid that my files might corrupt themselves over time, though.

Archived