AUTO VOLUME/NORMALISE FEATURE

garryramp

I second Garry's request; I have purchased some MP3 and encoded other myself and the volume is not always the same level. Please consider auto-volume function in addition to the equalizer auto limiter: these are two different functions.

This is not progressing; why is it so difficult to implement it? If when I listen to different soung the volume is suddlently much louder than the previous song, requiring manual intervention, for sure the software can do it for me! We have the technology :idea: , just use it! I am not asking Poweramp to make coffee for me ;) !

• 2 months later...

I'd also like to see this feature in future. Not just a limiter, but a auto gain feature for qieter songs.

I allready bought this app today, but this feature would be must have feature compared to all other android players.;)

• 1 year later...

Yes, absolutely. It should have a few options for compression strength.

Some examples:

* Listening to (especially classical) music on an airplane: here it's desirable to absolutely crush the dynamic range - it may ruin the expression of the music, but it's the only way to compete with the background noise.

* In a car via bluetooth: peak limiting is desirable.

* Audio book on handset speaker, (eg while getting dressed, moving around the room). The track should have fairly little dynamic range anyway; we want to boost it to as loud as possible (even accepting higher distortion than we would for music)

Yes please!

It would be hard to make this possible because some songs really aren't meant to be as loud as others and Poweramp would end up making either everything quite or really loud, plus wrecking the quality of the song because it's modifying the way it sounds... which might not really be a good thing. That's just how I see it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Of course you'd have to be able to turn the feature on and off as the situation dictates. I have some classical music and instrumental soundtracks that may sound wrong, but normally skip those in a random shuffle anyway. When I'm in the mood for instrumentals, I use a playlist. As a matter of fact, that reminds me about a feature request I've made but never heard one-way-or-the-other about. Is is possible to implement a feature by which the user could designate an album or song to NOT be included in the shuffle-all mode. I have a few polkas, holiday music, instrumentals that I rarely want to hear and they keep popping up when shuffling all.

"Is is possible to implement a feature by which the user could designate an album or song to NOT be included in the shuffle-all mode. I have a few polkas, holiday music, instrumentals that I rarely want to hear and they keep popping up when shuffling all."

I second that!!! Fabulous idea, would be a very useful feature!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
5 hours ago, AKswirz said:

It is now 2020. Has this just been ignored?

I don't think it was ever stated as being on the to-do list was it? ReplayGain is fully supported, but not 'on-the-fly' normalisation (or Automatic Gain Control) where music gets louder and quieter during listening to one track.

Andre

I'm not asking for  Automatic Gain Control. I have about 5000 songs taken from many sources, Each source has a different recording level. Most of the time you can detect the different levels immediately. It too tedious to preprocess each song to adjust the volume manually with external software. The app should be able to detect changes on the fly in most  cases and make the necessary adjustment.

This situation is really annoying whether you're playing the audio through earphones or external speakers. It degrades the listening experience if you're always reaching for the volume control to avoid damaging your hearing.

Thanks

6 hours ago, CanuckWheels said:

I'm not asking for  Automatic Gain Control. I have about 5000 songs taken from many sources, Each source has a different recording level. Most of the time you can detect the different levels immediately. It too tedious to preprocess each song to adjust the volume manually with external software. The app should be able to detect changes on the fly in most  cases and make the necessary adjustment.

What you describe is indeed AGC, also known as Normalisation. PA cannot read a whole track in advance of playback commencing, which would be the only other way to discover the peak level of the current file if the ReplayGain tag has not been correctly set in advance.

Adding RG tags to MP3 files is pretty trivial, just use something like foobar2000 to do them all in one operation as a batch process. Open the whole top-level music folder from your SD Card using foobar on a PC, select all tracks, and in the right-click menu there's an option to scan and apply RG to all selected items. It's a one-off task, and on my system took about 15 minutes to check about 6,000 files. 

Andre

Archived