Relative path names in m3u playlists

Vincent9756

First, I have to thank you for the great m3u support. I really like that I can copy the playlists from my PC and Poweramp reads and maintains them. I've been through quite a few apps and Poweramp is the only one I've found that will update them. Very helpful.

The only difficulty I'm having is that when Poweramp saves them, it uses absolute path names. Unfortunately I can't just sync them back. I have to edit each one and replace the text "/storage/extSdCard/Music/" with "../" so they function properly on my PC. I have a lot of playlists.

The request: Please add an option to use relative path names.

Thanks very much

Poweramp can USE relative paths in M3U files, but it writes them as absolute. Once you've edited out the root paths and re-saved the file/s, it should work on both the phone and your PC.

I guess this ties in with the recent request to allow the user to choose where Poweramp saves the M3U files too, as it'd be pointless using relative paths if it can only save the M3U file in internal memory while your music is on an external SD card.

Andre

I use MediaMonkey on my PC. I have it write the playlists using relative paths and Poweramp has no problem reading/playing them. I keep the playlists in /Music/playlists. Relative paths work perfectly on both internal and external storage. However, when I change a m3u playlist with Poweramp, it writes it back out using absolute paths. I would like it to save the changes using relative paths (optionally of course) so I don't have to keep editing them.

I'm only talking about the m3u lists it finds in my folders, not the playlists that it keeps in its own internal database.

• 3 months later...

Vincent, if you want to be able to select whether you want the relative or absolute path, try my app "Playlist Manager". Not only does it offer this option, it also distinguishes between Unix(android) and Windows so you could copy the playlists to your pc and play them there assuming you have the same filestructures.

The Playlist Manager also offers some additional  innovative features such as random selection of albums or tracks.

Archived