Poweramp Future Updates and Feature Packs Discussion

6 hours ago, André Inácio said:

Is everything ok with the Poweramp developer? the last update was last year, I'm getting worried now

Like 4 months ago the app was updated. The developer last visited the forum a week ago. Reading the tea leaves, it's none of my business.

@Fitzian Poweramp is actively developed, but I would say, in 2021-2022-2023 - it was too much, so it felt as never ending race of updates. I tried that continuous development cycle and incremental updates but that doesn't do any good actually and I would prefer to have like 2 "good" major updates per year, instead of the series of neverending beta builds and smaller post-updates (for this and that small request).

Also being on forum means no any development/planning/etc. at that time. So it's usually waste of the resources (for me).

The next release is going to be the current beta + package implementation, so it's available as beta build anyway. Thanks!

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

@Fitzian Also being on forum means no any development/planning/etc. at that time. So it's usually waste of the resources (for me).

The next release is going to be the current beta + package implementation, so it's available as beta build anyway. Thanks!

@André Inácio there's your answer.

11 hours ago, maxmp said:

@Fitzian Poweramp is actively developed, but I would say, in 2021-2022-2023 - it was too much, so it felt as never ending race of updates. I tried that continuous development cycle and incremental updates but that doesn't do any good actually and I would prefer to have like 2 "good" major updates per year, instead of the series of neverending beta builds and smaller post-updates (for this and that small request).

Also being on forum means no any development/planning/etc. at that time. So it's usually waste of the resources (for me).

I'm glad everything is fine with you, your vision really makes sense, thank you. I look forward to new updates!

35 minutes ago, André Inácio said:

I'm glad he's okay, I'm looking forward to new updates, unfortunately in the last update, my smartphone stopped working hi-res. sad

Last update of Android, or Poweramp? What device? Rather than using the experimental High-Res Output mode, try something like AAudio or AudioTrack which on recent Android versions support high-res settings.

Andre

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Ash Roarshock @FaizuanZainal As far as I know from Max's most recent posts (and I'm not really involved in the loop in terms of the specifics of what he's working on) the next release will be primarily to bring all of the current Beta features into the main Stable channel, and to implement the required mechanisms to support the planned future Feature Packs addon purchase system. I don't think anything much new will be in the next release, beyond the assorted minor bug fixes that have been discussed over recent months.

I am assuming (and again, do remember that I'm not in the coding loop here) that purchasable addon Feature Packs will tend to be broadly themed rather than just a bunch of random ad hoc items - e.g. one pack for Player Screen customisation mods; one for improved editing features for Tags/Lyrics/Embedded artwork; packs for specific Output features such as a direct USB-DAC driver; one for Library access for music on NAS/personal cloud storage, etc. That just makes more sense to me than having a series of unconnected Packs with random features in each. And all of this will take time - we're talking years, not months, of development.

Andre

it's not possible to open some kind of gofundme account or paypal so people who want to support the development for new features could donate?

it would be nice to have that option at least to help the developer, the app was supported for a long time having updates most of the time monthly and just with one cheap purchase and i didn't see that consistency on other apps.

58 minutes ago, ihaspei said:

it's not possible to open some kind of gofundme account or paypal so people who want to support the development for new features could donate?

it would be nice to have that option at least to help the developer, the app was supported for a long time having updates most of the time monthly and just with one cheap purchase and i didn't see that consistency on other apps.

If it was between that and actually purchasing the features that are developed and ready, I would choose the second one.

I have to say, last time I looked, there was at least a dozen features I would pay a good amount for that were voted in the top 20, but now there's 1 in the top 10 and another in the top 20. I'm not sure how it took such a turn from library sorting features to niche stats. I can't see waiting around years to see if some of those core features finally get added. 

56 minutes ago, Ash Roarshock said:

I have to say, last time I looked, there was at least a dozen features I would pay a good amount for that were voted in the top 20, but now there's 1 in the top 10 and another in the top 20. I'm not sure how it took such a turn from library sorting features to niche stats. I can't see waiting around years to see if some of those core features finally get added. 

An icon to indicate high resolution content (something already possible with metadata info line on now playing) got more votes than no-resample mode. Ain't that a head scratcher...

2 minutes ago, Fitzian said:

An icon to indicate high resolution content (something already possible with metadata info line on now playing) got more votes than no-resample mode. Ain't that a head scratcher...

Apparently more people are just interested to know if the files are hi-res rather than actually have them play at the native rate.

6 hours ago, Fitzian said:

If it was between that and actually purchasing the features that are developed and ready, I would choose the second one.

i mean, even if there will be paid features would be nice to have some paypal account pin in this forum to donate the developer

18 hours ago, Ash Roarshock said:

I do agree 100%.

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 9:45 PM, Fitzian said:

The thing about this option that bothers me and means I would never use it and didn't vote for it, even though I would like to have it. It says no icon if under 88khz... I have over 7000 rock, hip hop, pop, and mainstream 24bit songs in my library. A very very small percentage of those songs  that are encoded 88khz or higher actually show audio spectrum over 88khz. I know this because I check every one of them and tag it according to the actual mix and not the encoded file. Meaning the studios/websites are just encoding them higher to make you think they're better quality than streaming so you think you have to buy it to get the best quality. It's a marketing gimmick. You can look on some sites and see a 24bit album @ 88khz and the exact same album on another site at 24bit 44.1khz. Run them both through spectrum analyzer (I have done this with some of my favorite albums just to be sure) and you'll see they are the same exact mix @ 44khz but one has a much higher ceiling full of nothing..  all streaming and purchase websites consider anything 24bit as Hi-Res. So this option only showing 88khz and up (which are mostly hollow encodes) is highly inaccurate.

Maybe this is different when it comes to classical music, which I could see being higher, but I mean how big is that audience compared to mainstream/pop/Rock/hip-hop? I certainly have never seen classical on the charts.

Edited by Ash Roarshock

4 minutes ago, Ash Roarshock said:

It says no icon if under 88khz...

The way it worked in UAPP (not that behavior should be lifted from another app for parity's sake) was if SR ≥48kHz, or bit-depth ≥24, it slapped the Hi-Res Audio logo on the bottom right corner of the cover art.

Regardless, (exactly as you said) it tells us nothing of the actual spectral content, bits used, or PLR (crest factor).

Should Poweramp ever have a built in "replaygain scanner" (with knowledge other tools for this already exist) it would be great if it would integrate and display these more functional catnip numbers into library display and category metadata.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Fitzian said:

The way it worked in UAPP (not that behavior should be lifted from another app for parity's sake) was if SR ≥48kHz, or bit-depth ≥24, it slapped the Hi-Res Audio logo on the bottom right corner of the cover art.

Regardless, (exactly as you said) it tells us nothing of the actual spectral content, bits used, or PLR (crest factor).

Should Poweramp ever have a built in "replaygain scanner" (with knowledge other tools for this already exist) it would be great if it would integrate and display these more functional catnip numbers into library display and category metadata.

I'm not sure if I consider 16bit 48khz Hi-Res, but definitely 24bit 44khz, especially since most of the 88khz content is usually 44.1-48khz

Edited by Ash Roarshock

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Ash Roarshock said:

I'm not sure if I consider 16bit 48khz Hi-Res, but definitely 24bit 44khz, especially since most of the 88khz content is usually 44.1-48khz

100% agree, that's the only one that I'm like "... you don't count"

Edited by Fitzian

On 5/25/2024 at 11:11 PM, Fitzian said:

100% agree, that's the only one that I'm like "... you don't count"

I personally go by how Qobuz lists it, where there's MP3 (LoRes) CD (MeRes) and Hi-Res (anything above CD)

On 5/28/2024 at 1:47 AM, Odio said:

I personally go by how Qobuz lists it, where there's MP3 (LoRes) CD (MeRes) and Hi-Res (anything above CD)

Yeah theres Hi-Fi, Lofi, HD, SD etc etc. I like what the pirate scene created as a standard:

Anything with compression (mp3, mp4, ogg, wma, etc)=Lossy 

No compression (Flac, Alac, wav)=Lossless

24bit Flac, Alac, wav=Hi-Res