Chromcast no longer works

Fluvance

Casting audio from Poweramp was working fine a couple months ago. Then I went on a trip and didn't use the app for a while, and it no longer works. This phone wasn't in use, so nothing has changed other than app updates.

I can cast both local and streaming content from Shuttle, Blackplayer, Netflix, YouTube, and my own device screen casting. So there is no issue with the actual connection to the Chromecast. When I try to cast from Poweramp, the UI loads on the Chromeast, but the artwork does not appear. If I press play in the app, nothing changes on the Chromecast UI, but in the app the time bar starts to increment showing song progress but resets every few seconds to 0, and the elapsed time doesn't change. If I manually scrub to another time, it will update the time and timebar on the Chromecast UI, but again doesn't actually play music or show any artwork. I have attached a picture of the Chromecast UI.

I have tried resetting all Poweramp settings and performing a factory reset on the Chromecast. I have tried a small, medium, and large buffer.

I am running v3-853 on Android Pie. My Chromecast is version 1.36.159268. I have attached a picture of the version in the casting settings in Poweramp.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Fluvance said:

If I press play in the app, nothing changes on the Chromecast UI, but in the app the time bar starts to increment showing song progress but resets every few seconds to 0, and the elapsed time doesn't change.

How long did you leave it like that? I find that even after the device says it has been connected, there seems to be a period of up to 30 seconds where it must still be negotiating or transferring data (during which I see the same as you, the playback counter keeps bouncing back to zero) before it starts to play stably.

Andre 

54 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

How long did you leave it like that? I find that even after the device says it has been connected, there seems to be a period of up to 30 seconds where it must still be negotiating or transferring data (during which I see the same as you, the playback counter keeps bouncing back to zero) before it starts to play stably.

Andre 

The first time I had it going for a few minutes while I did something else. I just tried it again: left it sitting paused after first making the connection for 2 minutes, then pressed play and let it sit for another 2 minutes. Still no sound, artwork, or UI update on the Chromecast.

I should note that other than the artwork, the Chromecast UI works properly. If I skip to the next song, it updates right away, shows the upcoming song properly, etc. Although the timebar does not do the same jumping back that the app does. It just doesn't move unless I scrub it manually.

Thanks for the response.

Artwork in chromecast is very hit or miss, if it works great, but don't necessarily expect it to. Have you enabled 'Force Send Album Art' in Settings > Audio > Output > Chromecast? I also don't try to pause it while connecting, I just start playback and then press the Cast link and wait. 

Andre

Yes I've enabled that.  I don't care about the artwork in particular, I'm just describing the full extent of my problem.

I have tried multiple ways of casting and playing. None work. It wouldn't be so fragile anyway if it was working. In my experience casting is pretty robust when working from any local app, other than the delay.

Cheers

@Fluvance Poweramp casting is different in the sense Poweramp directly streaming your local files to the chromecast. Most of the other apps command chromecast device to connect to the internet and take stream from there.

The difference is that connection from chromecast to your device is required, and this connection should be allowed (by your local network / firewall on the phone if any / etc.). Happy new 2020!

6 hours ago, maxmp said:

@Fluvance Poweramp casting is different in the sense Poweramp directly streaming your local files to the chromecast. Most of the other apps command chromecast device to connect to the internet and take stream from there.

The difference is that connection from chromecast to your device is required, and this connection should be allowed (by your local network / firewall on the phone if any / etc.). Happy new 2020!

While I greatly appreciate you replying, you can't just paste the same reply you give to all the chromecast bug threads. I've already searched the forum for a fix and saw that exact explanation several times.

As I explained in my original post, I can cast both local and streaming content from Blackplayer, Shuttle, Netflix, and my own device screen casting.

So, Poweramp is the only app I have that will not cooperate.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

hello :)

have you solved this problem?

I have same problem with you. I can use casting with other apps but no artwork and no sound with Poweramp.

100% same problem with you.

even similar app(UAPP, HI-FI cast and so on) work well.

I cant find solution about it :(

@ksw7410 unfortunately the issue is not reproducible for Poweramp build-893 and a few Chromecast devices I have. As i can guess the original post symptoms are connectivity issue (which I can emulate locally, for example, by enabling “Isolate hosts” option on router) but this is something outside of the app scope.

You can help by capturing the system log on the device immediately after or during the connectivity issue (the log contains events for only few last minutes by default). It’s on the to of the device developers settings - log appears in notification shade - please send it to gpmaxmpz@gmail.com. Thanks!

Archived