Windows Media playlists (.wpl) not syncing

Old Timer

I've been a Poweramp devotee for years, syncing up my Android phones via Windows Media Player on my PC. A while back (months, maybe a year) I tried to sync a new playlist: no joy, at all. I have a new phone now and find that no .wpl playlists will sync.

I can transfer the lists manually, but because the files are arranged differently when they arrive on my phone's SD card, many tracks are missing (as well as the fact that I get an ugly ".wpl" extension in the actual list name - but that's minor).

So am I right in thinking that Poweramp no longer syncs with .wpl lists? Or is this an Android thing? Right now I'm facing manually entering a big chunk of them (tedious). Can anyone offer suggestions to make it work again? Or any fix beyond "find a life outside Windows"?

Poweramp does not sync anything - audio files or playlists - it merely checks in the folders that it has been told to scan and adds anything it finds there into its database. If a playlist-format file is found, it should be added into the Playlists category (as you say, showing the full filename) and assuming that the same referenced audio files are present on the device (and in scannable folders) then the songs should be visible in that playlist.

How are you syncing your files/folders from your PC, and what actually does get shown in the Playlists category in Poweramp?

Andre

Thanks for the post Andre. I'm syncing via the Windows Media Player on my PC, which used to work fine. Now, however, all the music comes over but no playlists ie in the Playlist category in Power Amp there is nothing.

I'm beginning to think the problem is in the sync between the Media Player and the phone and it is this behaviour which has changed. My music collection on the PC is fragmented and disorganised (eg some Kraftwerk albums are in a Kraftwerk folder, others are in a Krautrock folder), though I have organised it via the Media Player library. When I look at how the music is dumped on the phone, it is all reorganised much more logically (ie all Kraftwerk albums in a Kraftwerk folder). This is great, except that the pathways contained in the playlists are no longer valid for all tracks. Maybe that's why the playlists won't sync or have been stopped from syncing any more.

All I can do is fill in the blanks on the phone, though it would be good to back them up once done. presumably the export option allows that.

Cheers

Yes, if whatever you are using to copy files and folders from one device to another is changing the folder structure, but not matching those changes within any playlist files that it copies over, then those playlists will definitely fail.

.wpl is an XML based format, so not always very easy to get into and change manually in the same way you can easily edit .M3U files, but this is the sort of section you need to be looking for:

<media src="\\server\vol\music\Classical\Bach\OrganWorks\cd03\track01.mp3"/>
            <media src="\\server\vol\music\Classical\Bach\OrganWorks\cd03\track02.mp3"/>

Have you tried exporting your Windows Media Player playlists as M3U format?

Andre

Archived