Poweramp
troutinabout

Genre>Artist List Functionality

I've searched through the forums and have seen posts on this topic since 2012 (at least), but never found an answer or valid response.  If this has already been asked AND answered, please direct me to that thread if possible.

My request is the ability to view a list of artists by genre, not the albums.  Once the artist is selected, THEN display albums.

For instance, take the genre of Jazz, I don't want to go see every album in that genre, but rather every artist in that genre.  Once I select an artist, then I'd like to see that artists albums.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

@blaubär

Thanks for the reply and thread link, but it seems like what @RasKafka was suggesting is assigning a specific genre to an artist (ie- Bob Marley is genre Reggae and nothing other than Reggae).  

Staying with the Marley/Reggae example, what I'm asking about is selecting genre Reggae, then seeing a list of all artists of genre Reggae, but what I'm seeing now is all albums of genre Reggae.  

52 minutes ago, troutinabout said:

Staying with the Marley/Reggae example, what I'm asking about is selecting genre Reggae, then seeing a list of all artists of genre Reggae, but what I'm seeing now is all albums of genre Reggae.  

Genre is a tag, and tags are given to tracks, not artists. Raskafka suggested to build a database to map artist to genre. If you don't want that, how should Poweramp decide which artists belong to a genre ? If there is any track by this artist that has the genre ? Or a minimum number of tracks ? Or a minimum percentage ?

I see the similarity in my request now, thanks.  Considering what you said about tags given to tracks not artists, let's say I manually assign the Reggae genre tag on every single one of Bob Marley's tracks.  Selecting Reggae in the genre list would still return albums and not solely the artist.  So you'e correct, there would need to be a db mapping between genre <=> artist, but also an update in list-view/drilldown to select this as a next option.

I think the only way to deal with this sort of fairly specific request logically would be if Max could add fully customisable library category options, allowing the user to create their own categories with various layers of grouping and sorting, so songs could be displayed in pretty much any sequence they want. I've no idea how complex that would be to achieve though.

I did provide a fuller suggestion of how this could work in response to another user request a while ago:

Andre