Chromecast Audio Stuttering/lagging

Cshep

• V3 Build 823
  • Samsung S8
  • Oreo

Hello, I recently picked up a Chromecast audio when Poweramp added cast support. However I seem to be having some sort of connection issue between Poweramp and my Chromecast. The music will start but often stutters or stops completely, requiring me to pause the music and restart. I've experienced this across multiple devices. I tested VLC casting and it seems to work fine. I tried maxing out the buffer but it doesn't seem to help. See screenshot attached if that's any help. Any suggestions? 

Screenshot_20190326-160624_Poweramp.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

S8 was is tested with 821+ and it generally works fine with chromecast even with the default buffer size, but you may need to add Poweramp AND Poweramp Full Version Unlocker to battery “Non optimized’ apps list.

(Reasonings: while Samsung battery optimizer is smart enough not to stop Poweramp playback as it understands it’s a player playing some audio, while casting, Poweramp doesn’t play audio - it’s just a network streaming - thus device goes deep sleep. Also unlocker looks like idle app to it - and it is actually idle - but it shares same user id as Poweramp, making Poweramp sometimes looking as idle too).

I've been having the same issue since Chromecast support was added. I was super excited for this feature, so I'm happy to help troubleshoot. I'm using it on an S9 and typically cast to a Chromecast audio. I also tried maxing out the buffer setting, which didn't work for me either. My stutters occur randomly, maybe once or twice per minute, then may go 5 or 10 minutes without. I try closing all of the other running apps on the phone, but that didn't help. 

• 4 weeks later...

Poweramp streams audio right from your phone, so connection between phone and chromecast is essential for non-stop playback, though, large buffer already ensures short connection issues are tolerated, but if there is some interference/wifi/connection issue, this can cause stutter and playback stop. 

What I can do is to increase possible buffer size further.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update from my end. I've tried using VLC and it streams perfectly. So there must be something either with the settings in Poweramp or with the chromecast integration that's causing the stuttering. I'm willing to do some testing and send logs as I'd like to just use Poweramp for everything

• 10 months later...

@PrimalFaith Poweramp streams from phone itself (almost all other apps commands Chromecast to receive stream from the Internet). This is why connection between phone (or other Android device with Poweramp installed) to the Chromecast is important. Usually increasing Settings / Audio / Audio Output / Chromecast buffer resolves the issue. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Still experiencing this on my S8. Here's a debugging hint: If I force my screen to stay on in the settings, it seems to not happen or happen very infrequently. It's almost like the network traffic is being throttled somehow while the device is asleep. I have battery optimizations for the app and unlocker turned off, and nothing that should affect Wi-Fi behavior while asleep.

I've tested another app without issues (Hi-Fi Cast) which I imagine works in a similar way, but perhaps it is setting up a webserver in the background.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It does. Buffer size is set to max, 4000ms - it does not seem to change anything, stuttering starts immediately (with the screen on and PA in the foreground). Added both player and unlocker to the battery non-optimized list just in case - no effect. Attaching screens with audio info. Glad to help, if I can.

Screenshot_20201117-143732.png

Screenshot_20201117-143745.png

• 1 month later...

I have a Pixel 4a.  Since Google Play Music went away I switched to Power Amp (paid version). I have a Chromecast Audio device and it's constant pausing that starts immediately.  If I use YouTube Music and cast to the same device no issues.  I factory reset the Chromecast Audio and relocated my access point for better coverage and it still won't work.  The pausing is ridiculous.  I also increased the buffer to the max and same issue.  

And are these the same files (and same folder locations on your device) that seem to play OK from other apps? For local physical files PA has to stream the entire audio data over your LAN, whereas other apps may simple be asking the Chromecast device to play some online content directly from a streamed source.

Andre

1 hour ago, Gary Quiring said:

MP3's, most are between 160-190 bit rate

There goes that idea. I'm using flac.

50 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

And are these the same files (and same folder locations on your device) that seem to play OK from other apps? For local physical files PA has to stream the entire audio data over your LAN, whereas other apps may simple be asking the Chromecast device to play some online content directly from a streamed source.

Andre

Same files working fine on other apps such as Musicolet and Jetaudio+.

Archived