How to properly use TPE tags

6b6561

I'm just a litte bit confused about how to "properly" tag MP3's. I'm using EAC to rip my CD's to mp3 format and EAC writes "CD Artist" into TPE and if a Artist is given for a track then it's written to TPE2.

http://id3.org/id3v2.3.0 defines the following tags for artist information:

• TPE1 - The 'Lead artist(s)/Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)/Performing group' is used for the main artist(s). They are seperated with the "/" character.
  • TPE2 - The 'Band/Orchestra/Accompaniment' frame is used for additional information about the performers in the recording. 

It looks like Poweramp is using the tags in the following way.

• Artist = TPE1
  • Album Artist = TPE2

Should compilation / various artist albums be tagged as:

• TPE1 = Track Artist
  • TPE2 = Various Artists

What about "normal" albums with a single artist? Which tag should hold the name of the album artist? TPE1 or TPE2 or both?

Kim

I assume Max is following regular ID3 conventions, so TPE1 should contain Track Artist (with multiple artists presumably separated by "/",  ";"  or "//" ) and TPE2, if present, is Album Artist. If there is no Album Artist tag supplied, I assume the fallback process should be to use Track Artist in its place for any album sorting.

Andre

Thanks!

*sigh* for some reason EAC has mixed the order of TPE1 and TPE2... I will release the fury of a script on my various artist folders and swap the order of the fields.

What is the right thing for single artist albums, should TPE1 and TPE2 then be set to the artist name?

• 2 weeks later...

I use DBPoweramp to RIP as it's a little more flexible than EAC, both use "Accurate RIP" data base, but DBPoweramp isn't free. DBPoweramp uses TPE1 as track artist and TPE2 as album artist. so in compilation albums I use "Various" as the Album Artist (TPE2) and the performer of each track in the Artist (TPE1) tag. For regular albums and greatest hits albums I set TPE1 = TPE2. For multiple artists I would stick with ";" or "//", wouldn't want "AC/DC" to show as two artists. This approach gives me what I want for both my phone (Poweramp) and my home stereo where I use Logitech Media Server (LMS) to send music from my server PC to the stereo(s).

As an aside it sure would be nice if Poweramp showed TPE1 or gave an option of using TPE1 for track listings when accessing music through the Album Artist library method.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, loaded my first compilations, and I set up album artist as "various", but in album view I don't see them listed as "various" but seems like Poweramp grabs the last artist on the album. Images attached. What I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Screenshot_20190117-124508.jpg

Screenshot_20190117-124326.jpg

Screenshot_20190117-124333.jpg

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Then try using Album Artist view. Also there are some options in Settings > Library > Lists for setting Album Artist tag usage which might help you.

Andre

Great, it was the settings you mentioned. Album view works fine now. Thanks! 

Archived