WavPack incompatibilities? +DSD

ScarletNeko

So, I've said about this here and there already but I decided to make a topic here on the bug reports. Basically, Poweramp doesn't seem to care about WavPack files (.wv) with higher sample rate than 88,2kHz. I didn't tested this on Poweramp V2 yet but, the V3 betas/alphas, since the 790, for some reason doesn't add WavPack files to the library...

But Poweramp can play them. If you go to where the file is with a file explorer, and try to open it with Poweramp (sometimes it can take more than one or two tries), Poweramp play the file normally, and show all the info, like tags, the file type, the profile, data rate... But as soon as the song ends, the player just refreshes itself and go to the "all songs" tab, and the WavPack file vanishes again.

Something weird I noticed is, I have one album that is on WavPack+cue, and it is 32-192. That single album, Poweramp adds to the library. After this I tried tons of different programs, configs, profiles, different ways to make WavPack files, and as soon as the sample rate go beyond 88,2kHz, the file is not added to the library. It also seems to work with embedded cue sheet files, but as was said, as soon as this file is beyond 88,2kHz, it's not added to the library anymore.

Now about the DSD part, one thing is: Poweramp seems to work wonderfully with up to DSD128, beyond that, like DSD256 for example, it's not added to the library and if you try opening it with some external app, it also don't work. Not really a bug report I think, more of some compatibility issue maybe.

The other thing is: since WavPack 5, it got the ability of compressing and carrying DSD files on a lossless (and even reversible) way, which seems to work normally with players that supports this feature. And, yeah, Poweramp doesn't support WavPack files which carries a DSD stream on it. This is more of a report for a, maybe future update to add support to it, not exactly a bug report. But with the very nice hi-res capabilities of Poweramp as a player, it's indeed something to consider.

LG G7 ThinkQ, Stock LG UI ROM with Android 8.0.0, no root. By the time of this comment, build 805 of Poweramp is used.

Update on nov/10/2018

With the new build version, 806, WavPack files works nicely, being added to the library and played without issues, but not all of them:

The main WavPack options work, such as normal, high or very high compression settings and the tags (might have a few points about the tags that I'll leave to be said on the last lines), but the player still ignores WavPack files that was encoded using the extra processing line (for example: -hh -x4) on any of the levels, that goes from 1 to 6. The player can play them if you open the file with some external file explorer (which also might take a few tries to work), but as soon as the music end, the player refreshes itself and go back to the all music screen. This happens with any WavPack file that was encoded using the extra processing line, no matter what is the audio settings (sample rate, bit depth, data stream size and et cetera).

This might not be too big of an issue since those files with extra processing aren't all that common and also the extra processing can't be  used with DSD streams, but is a point for a few people.

The thing about tags is, I'm not sure what tag Poweramp chooses to display (there's id3v1, id3v2 and ape tags for WavPack files if I remember correctly), but seems like id3v2.3 tags, which usually is created when encoding DSD files, aren't shown, so sometimes a bit of extra work might be needed to make everything look as it should be. Again this part isn't exactly a bug report since this isn't a common tag type, just consider it as a suggestion.

Making it short: most WavPack files work flawlessly now, including the ones which carries a DSD stream on them. The only thing that doesn't work (the file is not added to the library but can be played if opened with a file explorer) is WavPack files encoded with extra processing line, and the unusual id3v2.3 tag.

Even tho, thanks to Max now we can enjoy most of the WavPack points with Poweramp already, which deserves a really nice and big thank you '3'

Archived