Recently Added

Stonedowner

• 4 months later...
58 minutes ago, w3wilkes said:

+1.  Currently when you select the Albums radio button in the Recently Added section it gives an "unknown" list of songs 

The Recently Added list is the 200 (I think) most recent music files that have been scanned into your music library. This can also refer to the most recently created or updated files (using the system's Last Modified time/date stamps on the files). The information applies to each song-file individually, there is no real concept of a physical Album as an entity anyway, it is merely a grouping built up from a series of tracks that have the same Album Title and Artist (or Album Artist) tags. Thus sorting the Recently Added list by album is not necessarily going to give you any sensible results.

Andre

16 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Thus sorting the Recently Added list by album is not necessarily going to give you any sensible results.

Andre

I understand that an Album is really just a collection of songs with the same Album title and same Album Artist or Song Artist. With so many other places in PA that understand the concept of an Album I would presume that the Recently Added - Album radio button would give a listing of the most recently added albums in descending order of date/time that the album was added to the Library. Otherwise I see no rhyme or reason for a Album radio button in the Recently Added library section.

As far as the 200 number goes that is selectable with several different values of which 200 is the smallest number.

I will admit that I'm "old school" and still think of music coming in Albums. When I buy music, I buy Albums (CD's now days, but I still consider a CD an album). Typically if an artist can't create an album of fairly decent songs I don't buy music by that artist unless it's just a stand out song like "96 Tears" by "? & the Mysterians", "Renegades" by "X Ambassadors", "Shape of Things to Come" by "Max Frost and the Troopers", etc. Then I'll typically buy their album and find that there's a couple other gems by that artist. These type songs are generally also available on compilation albums like the Time Life series of the 50' and 60's, which are again, Albums. My current music collection consists of more than 1,600 albums. In all of my >23,000 songs I have less than 50 that I've acquired as singles which I have grouped into (you guessed it) an Album.

1 minute ago, blaubär said:

Then you surely have a subfolder for each album's files and can use the folder category ordered by Date Added?

As a matter of fact I do and all tracks are properly tagged so "Albums" show properly in every Album view option with the exception of "Recently Added" - "Album" radio button. I am curios as to what "Recently Added" - Albums radio button selected means if not recently added albums? But, you're right, if what I think should be the meaning of "Recently Added" - Album radio button selected isn't correct then the Folder option you suggest works.

1 hour ago, w3wilkes said:

As a matter of fact I do and all tracks are properly tagged so "Albums" show properly in every Album view option with the exception of "Recently Added" - "Album" radio button. I am curios as to what "Recently Added" - Albums radio button selected means if not recently added albums? But, you're right, if what I think should be the meaning of "Recently Added" - Album radio button selected isn't correct then the Folder option you suggest works.

As to what the "recently added" for albums might be : I would expect Poweramp to have a database with all existing combinations of "album artist" and "album" tags, these are then the albums, and "date added" should be the date when a specific entry has been added to that database.

9 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

currently when you select the Albums radio button in the Recently Added section it gives an "unknown" list of songs that I can't figure out how they apply to Recently Added - Albums??

That is another problem - in V3 Poweramp uses the "Album Artist" tag rather than "Artist". These effects mostly are due to empty album artist tags. Try Settigs > Library > Lists > Join Albums and then a full rescan, that might improve the situation.

EDIT : when I look into the category "Albums" and sort that according to "date added" that works well for me.

I would expect that using "Date Added" when applied to a Folder or Album would simply use the date picked up from one of the songs within that group. Possibly the last one in the raw database scan sequence, or the last one in the user's preferred Sort Order? There is no saved date value for the Folder or Album as an outright entity of its own though.

Andre

Just updated to 820 - phone is Moto x4 - Android Pie (9)

Folders no longer work in "By date added". When using setting "By date added" the folders are listed in folder name order. I've done a Full rescan and Lists has Filesystem date/time turned on.

Archived