Please Add Full Support To USB DAC!!

Lazarus

I've been using Poweramp Pro for over 10 years. It is by far the best music player in the app store. I only have one issue! A few months back I purchased a USB DAC to listen to lossless flac music. Unfortunately the USB DAC isn't usable with Poweramp. The reason being is that the sound is really low, even at max volume. As a result, I had to resort to using other music player apps like "USB Audio Player Pro", which does use their own exclusive driver. As a paying user, I'm requesting for the developer to add exclusive driver support. Thank you.

Without knowing the hardware in question, that would be impossible to answer.  I have a cheap Ugreen USB-C to 3.5mm DAC which works fine with my new Samsung A54-5G for example.

Well, it works fine apart from an annoying very low level hiss in the analogue output stage, which is only really audible when I'm listening late at night with the audio playback volume set down to about 2 (of about 100 steps). Going to have to investigate an alternative.

Andre

I have a Helm Bolt DAC/AMP. I already went through the troubleshooting. Checked all the settings, nothing changes. The volume is still low. It's the same for pretty much all music players in the app store. Note: I'm using a Galaxy S23 Ultra. I also had the same issue with the Galaxy S22 Ultra. About 3 music player apps in the Google app store support my Helms DAC with no problem. My issue is I don't like their user interface. I prefer Poweramp's user interface. All the Poweramp developer has to do is add support for an exclusive driver that would allow my DAC to work properly.

Screenshot_20230908_194853_Samsung Internet.jpg

How "low" is the volume? Could something like ReplayGain (which generally reduces volume in most cases) be affecting it? Or also try enabling or disabling DVC for that output method. But you don't want to push the internal gain in PA up too far in case you introduce distortion or clipping in other parts of the audio chain.

But if most other apps produce the same volume, I would suggest that Helm's Android drivers are the culprit, not the players. I can't say for sure, but I would think it's rather unlikely that Max would consider spending the time writing a custom driver to correct issues with one specific company's hardware.

Andre

Apple's USB-C to 3.5mm DAC adapter also has the same problem. Whether it's by EU interference, lower voltage levels, or just Apple being Apple, I found its audio output was about 25dB lower than anther comparable adapter (UGreen). Going to try Samsung's own in-line adapter next, there's gotta be one out there that gives a decent output level but with no background hiss.  

Andre

On 9/11/2023 at 10:16 AM, andrewilley said:

Apple's USB-C to 3.5mm DAC adapter also has the same problem. Whether it's by EU interference, lower voltage levels, or just Apple being Apple, I found its audio output was about 25dB lower than anther comparable adapter (UGreen). Going to try Samsung's own in-line adapter next, there's gotta be one out there that gives a decent output level but with no background hiss.  

Andre

Sadly it's a known issue  android not able to fetch the driver correctly and directly unless you are rooted messing with ALSA at linux level, it can fetch dacs made for these phones or some brands standards normally tho like samsung or pixel's dongle but google made some implementation in kernel here in pixel for android https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/google-modules/aoc/+/32b45e2e08bcb3b6306ec9796d1f50ef44d0d514

https://www.xda-developers.com/pixel-6-direct-usb-access-android-12l/

This what uapp and other players using for now having such an implementation for Poweramp max doesnt see it a convenient way to go he mentioned there is new apis he will look at so i hope we get to see in the near future

Cuz these app communicates with dac and sets vol to max once you exit the driver remains mounted at same vol till replugged again and the request is done by app triggering some system dialog which is not convenient either as its not systemwide implementation but another trick to go around

About apple dacs its already reported there is some dirty fix i tried to compile kernel for but it didnt work using the quirks mixer

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/242221770

One of testers in audiosciencereview showed that with this implementation it only works in the app that have direct access at 100% voltage and once switched to other apps around 90% voltage

Still better than the default 50%

So i hope users to be patient about it if the new apis Max has mentioned serve us any good would be better than doing the job twice and waste time cuz there is around 10secs of no audio between initializing direct access to dac and might throw some crackling here and there in some apps and in some not

IMG_20230913_084340_567.jpg

20220902_121551.jpg

20220902_121404.jpg

Edited by Ibrahimbo101

• 1 month later...

I bought a new Galaxy A54, and somewhat Poweramp doesn't do Hi-Res in both my USB headphones (AKG - Original, worked at 192Khz before with my A30) and another headphone jack one via a USB to Headphone Jack adapter. It defaults to 16 bit 48Khz, in both. 

Any way I can fix this?

Edited by Rachidulric

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 5:19 PM, andrewilley said:

It's very dependent on the DAC. I've got an A54 too, and have been trying to find a DAC without any low-level hiss. The ones I've tried so far are all meant to support 24-bit 96kHz, some worked at that res and some didn't. Samsung's own didn't in fact.

Andre

God, just bought the official Samsung adapter, and while the sound is crystal clear now, it's stuck in 16bit/48Khz and it's hurting me lol 

• 1 month later...

I am having the EXACT same problem that @Lazarus is having. Same DAC even, i haven't been able to find a workaround at all and have tested with multiple galaxy s23 ultras as my friend has the same phone. I really hope this is something that could be fixed if possible, otherwise i guess i just gotta buy a new DAC. Never gonna switch off Poweramp tho lol

S23 should be fine for hi-res. Depending on your Android version, you may want to stick to 192kHz and below if you want to use DVC though. I also noted somewhat lower volume with 384kHz too, so another reason to avoid that before Android 14. You may want to try AAudio output too, works well for me on my A54 anyway.

Andre

Unbelievable that a flagship phone would have this issue. I even tried using USB Audio Player PRO and that got rid of the volume issue because that app uses a different way to control the DAC i believe. Oh well. I tested what you described andrew, and even so it is still very quiet. Guess ill just wait

Some support will be eventually added as the idea here is voted, but it's not even of first page of requests - please vote (https://forum.powerampapp.com/ideas/idea/40-bit-perfectno-resample-mode-for-usb-dacsdaps/ ). 

I would add that this kind of usb "driver" solution (it's not a driver) is not a silver bullet. It won't work for all USB devices + Android phones. I would say that native Android DAC support works with larger number of devices vs any of the players utilizing libusb, just because Android uses narrower subset of DAC features. For example some Pixel devices may just disallow direct DAC access completely. Or particular DAC won't work on Samsung OneUI 5.x, not matter what, etc.

• 2 months later...

On 12/25/2023 at 3:25 AM, maxmp said:

Some support will be eventually added as the idea here is voted, but it's not even of first page of requests - please vote (https://forum.powerampapp.com/ideas/idea/40-bit-perfectno-resample-mode-for-usb-dacsdaps/ ). 

I would add that this kind of usb "driver" solution (it's not a driver) is not a silver bullet. It won't work for all USB devices + Android phones. I would say that native Android DAC support works with larger number of devices vs any of the players utilizing libusb, just because Android uses narrower subset of DAC features. For example some Pixel devices may just disallow direct DAC access completely. Or particular DAC won't work on Samsung OneUI 5.x, not matter what, etc.

Oops!

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2I161/1

why it's happening??