Iso files and iso sacd stereo and multichannel

ulysse

The trouble with ISO files is that they are not music files per se, they are disk images that can contain lots of different content - e.g. a DVD or BluRay with menus and many different elements. What parts of the disk would you expect PA to play when you clicked on one? PA's audio processing is two-channel PCM, so any multi-channel recordings would need to be downmixed to stereo anyway.

Andre

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2023 at 5:22 AM, andrewilley said:

The trouble with ISO files is that they are not music files per se, they are disk images that can contain lots of different content - e.g. a DVD or BluRay with menus and many different elements. What parts of the disk would you expect PA to play when you clicked on one? PA's audio processing is two-channel PCM, so any multi-channel recordings would need to be downmixed to stereo anyway.

Andre

Hello! So why Neutron Music Player can open Image (.iso)?

7 hours ago, CallsignN39 said:

Hello! So why Neutron Music Player can open Image (.iso)?

Because Neutron been designed to open such archive files I assume.

Poweramp does not currently support opening of ISO, ZIP, RAR, etc files. Songs must be in audio format files and available in the regular Android storage system.

If you can find a way to mount an ISO disk image so the contents are visible in the device's storage directories (easy on a PC, not so sure about Android though) then PA should be able to scan for any contained songs. This would only work if the ISO file contains a valid file directory, it would not work if it is a ripped Audio-CD disc image (which is a horribly inefficient way to store music anyway; it's completely uncompressed and contains no useable song naming information).

Andre

2 hours ago, FabioGnecco said:

now you got me curious.... what about MIDI files ?

i know they are different from mp3s files, and probably not really worth the trouble to make them playable, but why they are so different from MP3s ? hm

Midi is like the recipe of a song. There's no ingredients present. You still need a soundfont to apply it to.

3 hours ago, FabioGnecco said:

now you got me curious.... what about MIDI files ?

i know they are different from mp3s files, and probably not really worth the trouble to make them playable, but why they are so different from MP3s ? hm

MIDI is more like the music note papers, tells how the instrument is to be played but doesn't include the instrument so you will not get any sound out of MIDI. This is how the MIDI files are so small as there is no audia data in them. Originally MIDI was used to push the data to a synthesizer that produced the audible sound.
If Poweramp would support MIDI, then there would be a need to add a 3rd party MIDI library (doubt that Max would code his own engine) that could generate the audio.

On 11/28/2023 at 8:36 PM, maxmp said:

@CallsignN39 very high bitrate dsf may require more CPU than device provides by default in the background mode, so Poweramp (+Unlocker) should be allowed to run in background unrestricted, and optionally Audio Buffer option can be increased in Poweramp (but usually this is not required at all).

I'm using fiio m11 plus ltd, of course Poweramp unlocked and there are still lags when dsf playing. 

2 hours ago, CallsignN39 said:

I'm using fiio m11 plus ltd, of course Poweramp unlocked and there are still lags when dsf playing. 

What are you meaning by "lags"? Are you saying that your music takes a while to buffer and start playing - aka some sort of latency issue? You should be able to check that in the 'Audio Info' display during playback. Or are there glitches or other issues once playback has commenced, which Max addressed above?

Andre

• 2 weeks later...