Tracker files playback

The Android platform lacks a good tracker player. True, there is an XMP Mod player but it lacks many features and runs on an old API. It would be nice if Poweramp had the OpenMPT library implemented.

Edited by IngvarrX

Are you talking about the old audio synthesiser format that worked a bit like MIDI to store sequences of discrete notes and timings, a used by some game platforms? If so then no, Poweramp is a music player aimed at playing digitised audio recordings that can be resolved to PCM, not synth control data. 

Andre

No, Tracker files like ImpulseTracker or Scream Tracker have PCM samples contained within so there is no synth, only mixing.

Support for example IT is shipped on many players like Winamp, VLC and even on WMP.

Those are still sequencer formats, not final consumer stereo recordings as far as I can see? If FFMPEG (which is PA's audio decoding engine) supports converting them into two-channel PCM, it would be possible for Poweramp to support them. But what music is released to consumers in that format?

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, FFMPEG supports this through the optional libopenmpt module so PA could play them.
I understand that these formats may seem unpopular but are still used by game developers (especially indie) or the demoscene.

Edited by IngvarrX

They are still not music playback formats, they are sequencers which trigger the playback environment to create and mix the notes, sounds and clips. PA could indeed include extra modules (and thus bigger code) which can create its own sounds from those instructions - but that's not really the point of Poweramp, which is to play finished musical recordings. If the modules are tiny, maybe Max could add them at some stage, but there would need to be a significant demand and a supply of such files to the consumer market.

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, i do also want this to be implemented, but as far as i know, tracker music consumers is not much and since people use Poweramp to play mp3, flac, or hi-res audio files.

Tracker music in the other hand uses a compressed samples which the tracker file stores the composition and the sample files, like a MIDI but with its own soundfont stored in the same file.

So, I think it is not necessary, but it wll be great to see the implementation in Poweramp so that this app can support even more audio formats, and playback with Poweramp's powerful EQ and audio codec would be interesting to see!

• 2 months later...