Poweramp showing wrong Bluetooth devices

This bug has been around since the beginning on version 3.   It happens every now and then.   Now i have a new Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and it's started up again.   When i go to the gym i have to manually change the EQ presets for each song which interferes with my cardio performance.   The headphones connect as the car stereo so the EQ keeps changing to the car preset.  I have to turn the headphones on and off up to 10 times to get it to recognize the headphones.  Repairing the headphones doesn't help.   Tonight it kept doing it at home.  I tried everything short of rebooting the phone. 

I hope the screenshots help to see what i mean. 

Screenshot_20230317_234951_Poweramp.jpg

Screenshot_20230317_235002_Poweramp.jpg

Screenshot_20230317_235132_Poweramp.jpg

Screenshot_20230317_235349_Poweramp.jpg

Screenshot_20230317_235506_Poweramp.jpg

Edited by hypomaniac-eric

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sometimes see my car (Bluetooth connection) listed as the output device, even when I'm sitting and home using Poweramp and the car isn't running or anywhere near. Poweramp outputs correctly to the phone speaker or headset though, it's just the Audio Info display that gets confused. Very intermittent though.

Andre

@andrewilley on Android, the info about "audio routing" we can collect is completely detached from the actual output device. In part this is due to the fact that there is no single output device. The audio stream may be routed to any number of devices connected to the phone. Sometimes system is not aware of the output device at all - e.g. on some MIUI firmwares system may think it plays via bluetooth, but actually it's a speaker.

To apply preset, output preferences and other settings assigned to the output device, Poweramp selects some output based on system reporting and priorities.

If there is some reproducible scenario, the priorities and the logic can be changed for the scenario as needed.

On 3/18/2023 at 11:27 AM, maxmp said:

What does Audio Info show as the output device at the moment incorrect preset is selected? Thanks!

It's in the last screenshot.   It shows the car stereo that is a Pioneer brand.    It was connected to the headphones in all the screenshots.

On 3/18/2023 at 11:27 AM, maxmp said:

What does Audio Info show as the output device at the moment incorrect preset is selected? Thanks!

Did you get my reply?   Is there a way to force android to find the correct device connected?   I tried unpairing and repairing  or tuning the device on and off like 10 times in a row.  Not fun when I'm trying to workout.   

• 1 month later...

From a separate conversation I've been having with Max, I suspect it may be the connected Watch4 that is causing the mis-reported Bluetooth routing. Next time it happens, please try breaking the BT connection to the Watch (just tap on that item in the main Android Bluetooth panel) and see if that resolves the issue.

Andre

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am running into this same issue, and I have a Galaxy Watch 4 as well
Disconnecting & reconnecting the watch doesn't seem to have any effect unfortunately, and I haven't been able to find any consistency about when it seems to "update" the device that it thinks is connected

If there's anything I can do to help gather logs for you guys or anything please let me know - the auto-swapping EQ is one of the big reasons I bought the app in the first place, so I'd really like to have it working again

The only other things of note I can think of are...
- This 'desync' would happen occasionally on Android 11, but after my phone (forcibly) updated to A13 it has been a much more consistent issue
- On the upside, as of the A13 swap it no longer re-changes the selected EQ every time the song changes (so when it's wrong I only have to change it once, at least)
- Tasker will occasionally bring up the "new bluetooth device" detected menu I have set up randomly while devices have already been connected (ex. while driving for 15+min it will show up again), so I'm wondering if that lines up with when it "updates" which BT devices are being seen?

My Device Info:
- Phone Model: OnePlus 8T
- OS Version: Android 13 (similar behavior occurred previously on Android 11)
- Bluetooth Audio Devices: 4 unique pairs of BT headphones, 1 car BT connection, & 2 BT speakers (all have been 'mis-identified' at least once)
- Other Bluetooth Devices: Galaxy Watch 4 (as well as some BT keyboards/mice occasionally)

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

@Jaxas Scarlet Max said this issue should have been resolved around PA build 967, which build are you using?

Andre

build-967-bundle-play [967004-988edd05]
Full Version
64 bit

Also, if you need logcats or anything let me know and I can grab those too

Edited by Jaxas Scarlet
Extra info

Just now, andrewilley said:

@Jaxas Scarlet Then please could you update to 973 and see if you still have the issue.

Andre

I checked in the Play Store and it's not showing an update ("last updated Jul 8, 2023") - it looks like it's still called "Poweramp Music Player (Trial)" though; is that the wrong one?

51 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

You can download the latest update here. Install it over what you have now.

Okay, I grabbed it - thanks!

I'll report back if I have any further issues - if not, assume it worked lol

Unfortunately the issue is still happening; I've attached screenshots of the Audio Output screen as well as my phone's Bluetooth menu (and a confirmation that I'm on the version linked above)

I did test disconnecting the watch as well, but the issue persisted

Screenshot_2023-08-15-18-19-44-66_41a74ddf68be21faad2fbbb691b15143.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-15-18-20-02-43_345bb2134bfb84a7decceb0b36861421.jpg

What I was seeing (but seems to have been fixed by @maxmp in recent PA builds) was a BT Stereo connection was getting reported, and EQ/output mode/etc were assigned accordingly, when nothing was actually active - e.g. my car stereo would be listed as the Output device when it was not even turned on. In my case, it seemed to be the connection to another (non-audio) BT device that was causing the errors. However when an active BT A2DP connection was established, it was reported correctly, which does not seem to be happening for you. You could try unpairing and re-pairing all of your BT items?

Andre

Nope, no luck there either - I unpaired all BT devices (except the watch, since that would force a wipe > reinstall to re-pair, thanks Android Wear 😅) and had this pop up when I tried to go in and re-assign EQ Assignments

Screenshot_2023-08-16-09-30-26-90_41a74ddf68be21faad2fbbb691b15143.jpg

@Jaxas Scarlet please provide steps to reproduce your issue exactly (i.e. one device connected, another connected, first disconnected, etc.) starting from the fresh (just rebooted) phone state, as genrally this is not reproducible, so this can be the specific issue with set of devices, settings, phone+firmware. Thanks!

Sure thing!

1) Unpaired all bluetooth devices (excluding the Galaxy Watch 4) & unassigned all Bluetooth EQ assignments

2) Rebooted phone (watch automatically pairs ASAP)

3) Open Poweramp: EQ is correctly set to "Phone Speakers" (assigned to "Speaker")

4) Pair "F2" headphones
- assign F2 EQ preset
- disconnect (power off) F2 headphones
- (EQ correctly returns to "Phone Speakers")

5) Pair "K23" headphones
- Poweramp... assigns the K23 EQ preset, but doesn't display it as having been assigned when I go to the "Assign Preset" screen?
- re-assign K23 preset
- disconnect (power off) K23 headphones
- (EQ correctly returns to "Phone Speakers")

6) Power on F2 headphones
- Poweramp applies the K23 preset

7) Settings -> Audio -> Audio Info displays "Output Device: K23"
- Phone's BT connections display "Galaxy Watch4" and "F2" as the only connected devices

(Edited for readability)

Edited by Jaxas Scarlet
readability

1 hour ago, maxmp said:

@Jaxas Scarlet unfortunately, not reproducible (Poweramp player build 974, OnePlus 8 Pro @ Android 13). Though I tested without the watch connected, but with other non-audio BT device. Can you please try to just turn of watches and try to switch between F2/K32? Thanks!

Sure, I turned my watch off and connected/disconnected the F2 a couple times, and the first few times it was going to K23 and then this last time (after I turned my watch back on) it went to F2

With it somehow going to K23 without the assignment in the previous test, I'm thinking it might be some sort of issue with the EQs/assignments - is there a way I can fully clear that (without completely wiping the app > reinstalling)?

Right, sorry - I'm not sure I was clear; I was specifically confused because when I connected the K23 headphones in the earlier test, it assigned the correct equalizer despite me having previously removed the Assignments

You're right though that that would likely be a separate 'issue', since the Audio Info's detection is where the problem I'm running into is

-----

Anyways, I'm actually much more confused now - I saw that there was a "Send a log" option in the settings, but it was only a snapshot (so it couldn't display info on the state changes as I connected & disconnected the devices)
So I went and took a full logcat from the Poweramp app where I went through and connected the F2, then disconnected, then connected the K23, then disconnected again, and the logcat is returning the correct device while the "Output Device" is still showing the wrong one

Timeline:
1) Neither connected
2) Connect F2: Logcat says "Audio routes updated: AudioRoutesInfo{ type=SPEAKER, bluetoothName=F2 }" | Output Devices says "F2"
3) Disconnect F2: Logcat says "Audio routes updated: AudioRoutesInfo{ type=SPEAKER }" | Output Devices says "Speaker"
4) Connect K23: Logcat says "Audio routes updated: AudioRoutesInfo{ type=SPEAKER, bluetoothName=K23 }" | Output Devices says "F2"
5) Disconnect K23: Logcat says "Audio routes updated: AudioRoutesInfo{ type=SPEAKER }" | Output Devices says "Speaker"

I'm emailing you the full log now - hopefully there's something helpful in there?

@Jaxas unfortunately this is not reproducible on the recent Poweramp builds. Thanks for the detailed info. The issue is localized on your device, so no way I can investigate it using any of my devices. If you're willing to investigate it further, I can prepare a Poweramp build with extra logging around routing, so we'll know why on your system F2 is shown when K23 is connected.