Sort option for beats per minute (BPM)

update.freak

Hello,

it would be great if a sort option by beats per minute (BPM) could be added -> from low BPM to high BPM.

With this I can start in the list with music which has a BPM of 128, which is mainly EDM for me -> save time of creating playlists.

The BPM should be analysed in the app. (VirtualDJ for example does this on PC). So not read out the BPM from meta data. 

23 minutes ago, Tapori Gaming said:

it will not take more time to scan

Yes it would take more time.

Reading a pre-existing BPM tag from file metadata would be simple, and could be added to the scanning process easily enough. However doing what the OP originally asked by decompressing and scanning the audio content for each of (say) 20,000 files and generating a new BPM value for each would significantly slow down the scanning process. It is also a process that is not really suited to complete automated batch operation anyway - for example you wouldn't want a BPM value associated with spoken word files, audiobooks, podcasts, radio shows, or any files with otherwise variable content (e.g. concert recordings which may contain several songs). 

Andre

It would be possible to add some code to interpret and display the current BPM during playback of any given file, but the OP was asking for a method to sort and group all song files in category lists by their BPM. Not everyone's requirement of course, but if a user's music collection had been suitably curated and BPM tag data embedded then it would be technically easy enough to do.

Andre

15 minutes ago, Tapori Gaming said:

BPM some times crashes app... while songs are playing

As Poweramp does not use BPM information at all, that is clearly inaccurate. BPM never crashes Poweramp.

As to whether there is any need for this, that's rather up to users' requirement - and this is a Feature Requests thread. There have been a number of other user requests over the years for PA to access BPM tag data (search for BPM).

Andre

There are future plans for a feature to scan through the whole library to update missing ReplayGain tags, and it would be possible to pick up BPM data during the same process. I'm not sure whether Max intends this to simply update the local library database or write the found data back to embedded tags - I suspect the former is more likely though, as batch writing to all files is a potentially problematical process.

Andre

37 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

There are future plans for a feature to scan through the whole library to update missing ReplayGain tags, and it would be possible to pick up BPM data during the same process. I'm not sure whether Max intends this to simply update the local library database or write the found data back to embedded tags - I suspect the former is more likely though, as batch writing to all files is a potentially problematical process.

Andre

Yes it is really good.

BPM data can be get from actual file of songs

or reverse the meta data to lib.so

Directly without data it can be possible from player with advanced BPM machanism 

Other players doesn't collects the data of full library for bpm.

Just Collection of One by One File Will Successful because full scan causes some times failure but try both ways and give in build 945-949

i know it will take more time for that.

but do the best.

There is implementation of BPM directly with tempo and an extra option for BPM in beta testing will give feedback about this.

Shubham

Edited by Tapori Gaming

50 minutes ago, Tapori Gaming said:

Work is in Progress of Implementation of BPM Counter.

Soon it will given in build 945-948(beta)

Huh? I don't recall seeing the developer make any commitment to this. There are many other feature requests that I would expect are in a priority of this, in my personal opinion.

9 hours ago, Tapori Gaming said:

Developer is busy in work of Build 944.

That may be, but unless you are the developer, you don't know what is being worked on for release at any time. Better to know when it is released, then to guess or suggest what is unknown.

42 minutes ago, Thomas Sebestyen said:

There's a tag in mp3s for BPM...

Reading from the tag (if present) into the library database would not be too hard, but BPM detection (i.e. decoding and examining and interpreting the audio data content) is more complex, and not something that will be implemented any time soon.

Andre

• 1 year later...

Allowing Poweramp to sort the music library using the BPM included in the Tag would be a small programming job and a big improvement.  Just as they do with other information on the Tag, I don't know why they haven't included it.  There is a big gap in the player music Android apps about this feature and Poweramp could continue to stand out among them all by including that option among those eligible to sort a playlist.