Statistics Page

I have checked in the frequently requested features and was a bit surprised this isn't one already requested frequently.

Basically a feature request for statistics page that contains several informations like: amount of tracks/artists/albums/genres, total durations, how many tracks played this month, how many tracks never played, most played tracks/artist/album, time listening this month, time listening all-time, etc.

maybe also populated with some tracks from the 'never played' list with title like "Try these new ones ..."

would be nice to see my stats as I'm still using local files exclusively and can only stare in jealousy when my friends share their spotify stats lol.

anyways, thank you for all the hard work.

Yes, that does sound like something for the Frequently Requested list (I have already asked people to suggest any items that I had missed in that thread).

Even if a least three of the more recent threads asking for such a feature were created by @monkeybutt in the first place... :)

I really don't understand the need for a "Try these new ones" feature though. Poweramp is a local music player, accessing you own personally curated music collection, not something like Amazon or Spotify which wants to suggest (aka sell you) something new. But if you do want to see a list of unplayed items, just view the All Songs category sorted by Play Count / Reversed.

Andre

A "try this" feature wouldn't be that usable for a single user local library, but for a streaming site it's possible to dig out something new that you would like by letting AI ("Artificial Intelligence") loose on the "Big Data" and find users with similar listening habits as you have and throw in something that is liked by that group of people as a suggestion for you.

What would be fun is "stats for geeks" and this is something where you would get a never ending stream of "feature requests" as everyone has their own stat that they would like to have...

• Library: number of tracks, artists, albums, growth trends, average length of tracks...
  • Listening events: Playback minutes per day, playback events... drill down per day... hour...
  • Artist: Number of albums, tracks, playbacks...

I have something like this in use on the iPhone, it's a separate app called PlayTally and it basically works so that it gets an notification on playback events and logs the event in its own database and completely disconnected from the music player.

Implementing "stats for geeks" would require a geek that has interest in stats and willing to invest quite a lot of time and effort in it.

The stats is a fun thing, but I don't see much of added value from it.

Seeing simple feature requests like these being dragged on for years really make me sad. Development is too slow. I read in the forums that the .lrc support request is pending for almost 10 years. True Poweramp is amazing that's why we are using it but it would be more amazing if now and then user requested features are added. A voting system can be established for example if a particular feature request gains 5k votes, it would be added in the next beta or the most requested feature request of the month would be added in next beta. Users will be happy and so will the developers. True feedback system I think.

Edited by James007

@James007 Poweramp is entirely the work of one developer, @maxmp. There are literarily hundreds (maybe thousands?) of feature requests ranging from tiny things to tasks that would take many months to develop (if they could be done at all). He has to weigh up complexity and development time against his overall vision for the project, along with what he feels is worth his time adding. And even small changes need testing against multiple devices and Android versions, and often new Android versions need coding changes just to work at all. There are only so many hours in the day...

. LRC file support for example had already been provided by a third-party addon, so may not have been given an especially high priority. It is on the imminent list though, so should be coming relatively soon within the forthcoming beta releases. Then karaoke fans can rejoice. :)

If I'm honest, a stats page doesn't really add anything useful or constructive as a music player app though, nor does it make usability any better in terms of listening to music. So while I agree it would be fun and nice to look at, I can't really say I personally would want it developed to the detriment of many other requests. It should probably be an easy enough item to add should Max want to though, as the database already contains (or can build) much of the necessary information.

Andre

Thanks @andrewilleyfor your time and reply. I can understand that there is a single developer. That's why I suggested a voting system / monthly top feature request. I know a bit about coding and I believe a month should be enough to develop and a test a user requested feature. Rest is up to @maxmp considering his priorities and work load.

Also, I really appreciate the indexed feature requests you have developed, really summarizes the requests in an orderly fashion 🙂

11 minutes ago, James007 said:

I know a bit about coding and I believe a month should be enough to develop and a test a user requested feature.

Perhaps if this was for a single entity feature. You have to remember that Poweramp already has a massive community. Any change to a single feature has an impact on many users that may not have wanted that change. So there is a lot more to it than just a simple “it works” and throw it into the wild.

When it comes to lyrics, there was already a functional plugin but some users wanted something better. Yet I personally have absolutely no use for this feature, I use Poweramp to listen to music, not watch the words. But I also understand development is based on what @maxmp believes the majority want. So there it is and it is close to release in an upcoming beta. 

52 minutes ago, James007 said:

I know a bit about coding and I believe a month should be enough to develop and a test a user requested feature.

Feel free to develop your own app then... :)

It all depends on the feature of course. Changing an icon or updating some wording (in fact a long-standing request of my own regards renaming 'Advance Category' in the Repeat list) might be done in a few hours. Adding native DLNA/UPnP/etc support for reading files and outputting audio, maybe a bit longer.

Andre

1 minute ago, andrewilley said:

Feel free to develop your own app then... :)

I probably would have if there was no Poweramp. Yet a good thing can be made better. I was saying if Poweramp goes by one top user  requested feature a month or two, it will be happiness all around. Bugs and other fixes can go side by side. Nevertheless, it all comes down to maxmp. 🙂