Poweramp doesn't show Track Title (Build 933)

Skakner

Hello everybody!

I use two mobile phones. The first one, Samsung Galaxy A3 2015 (Android 6.0) has build 925 and the other, Samsung Galaxy J5 2017 (Android 9.0) has build 933. I use the second one (build 933) just for a few days but I already have noticed a major inconvenience with Build 933.
Both phones have the exact same library in their SDcards. All files are tagged according to this pattern: ARTIST - ALBUM - TRACK NUMBER - TRACK TITLE
The track shown in the screenshots has this filename
BEETHOVEN - Piano Sonatas 09-16 (Pollini) - 26 - no.16,op.31.1, I  Allegro vivace
and the subsequent tags are
Artist: BEETHOVEN
Album: Piano Sonatas 09-16 (Pollini)
Track number: 26
Track Title: no.16,op.31.1, I  Allegro vivace

As you can see, Build 925, correctly, shows Track Title in both screens (main playing screen and track list screen) but Build 933 shows the whole filename and this is quite inconvenient because it makes the queue procedure quite difficult. I have to view Info/Tags for each and every track just to know which tracks I put in queue. 

I've searched the Settings area but I haven't found something.

Is this a bug?
Is there a solution?
Do I have to roll back to the previous build?

Thanks!

build-925-a.jpg  build-933-a.jpg

build-925-b.jpg build-933-b.jpg

15 minutes ago, Skakner said:

It's not selected.

That's the only setting to have the Title overridden by the filename. Are you certain that those tracks have a valid Title tag in them, if that setting is not the issue? AFAIK the filename is displayed there only if this option is set to ON, or if there is no Title field in the metadata.

11 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

That's the only setting to have the Title overridden by the filename. Are you certain that those tracks have a valid Title tag in them, if that setting is not the issue? AFAIK the filename is displayed there only if this option is set to ON, or if there is no Title field in the metadata.

100%!!!

Poweramp at the first phone, and two pc players (MusicBee, Nemp) read the very same files without problem.

Try a FULL Rescan (in Settings => Library), as usually a lack of tag info means that PA has found the filename during its directory crawl, but wasn't able to open and read the tags during the second more extensive phase. Even worth de-selecting the entire storage in Settings => Library => Music Folders and re-enabling it, forcing a clean start.

It's not likely to be a difference between PA 925 and 933 (they are very similar in most ways) but between the two different devices and/or Android versions.

Andre

All of those tracks show perfectly for me, so it must be an issue with the in-depth scanning process.

My next suggestion would have been to do a clean uninstall and reinstall (or a Clear App Data in Android Settings) but seems like you've done that already - since going back to 925 requires a full uninstall/reinstall.

I would suggest you now try to update to build 933 over the top of your working version (just run the APK, without uninstalling first). I think you'll find it still works, but if it does indeed break again you can always roll back to 925 at any time. If it does break for you though, it would be worth trying to troubleshoot further while 933 is still installed as otherwise whatever the problem is will never get fixed for future releases.

By the way, I assume your encoding of (for example) "Beethoven" as the Track/Album Artist, rather than using the more usual Composer tag, is deliberate for your way of organising your music? Made me smile thinking of old Ludwig working away in the recording studio laying down some tracks for his latest CD. :) 

Andre

@Skakner If you have large library I would suggest keeping Poweramp on foreground (or playing something) while library is scanned. Unfortunately, modern Android firmwares are eager to kill apps in background thus large library scan may never finish. 

Additionally on Samsungs long press the app icon (Poweramp and Unlocker, if you have it), press (i) / Battery / Unrestricted. Poweramp still will be killed (if not playing) if you have other battery optimizations enabled on the phone (e.g. Power Saving mode, etc.).

I would suggest using Legacy File Access for large libraries as well - as it's faster.

8 hours ago, maxmp said:

@Skakner If you have large library I would suggest keeping Poweramp on foreground (or playing something) while library is scanned. Unfortunately, modern Android firmwares are eager to kill apps in background thus large library scan may never finish. 

Additionally on Samsungs long press the app icon (Poweramp and Unlocker, if you have it), press (i) / Battery / Unrestricted. Poweramp still will be killed (if not playing) if you have other battery optimizations enabled on the phone (e.g. Power Saving mode, etc.).

I would suggest using Legacy File Access for large libraries as well - as it's faster.

I never had problem with unfinished scans but I'll keep in mind your suggestions.

8 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I would suggest you now try to update to build 933 over the top of your working version (just run the APK, without uninstalling first). I think you'll find it still works, 

It works fine indeed! 😀

By the way, I assume your encoding of (for example) "Beethoven" as the Track/Album Artist, rather than using the more usual Composer tag, is deliberate for your way of organising your music? Made me smile thinking of old Ludwig working away in the recording studio laying down some tracks for his latest CD. :) 

I just wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Thoughts of reorganizing the library, come and go from time to time, I have to admit...