Well, That Was Fun....

D3Seeker

I've been enjoying my visualizers (yes, I'm one of them odd and rare folk), but it seems Android 11 broke that (among other things)

The folder location for 3rd party presets appears to no longer exist after the update, and the Android folder seems to be restricted so I can't even try to make the folder hierarchy now.

Gonna miss Atom Smasher, all thanks to the Android 11 update, or at least what ever nonsense Samsung did to it. 😭

/end random rant

Android 11 has changed the rules with regards to apps having access to a lot of storage locations (thanks Google 😠) and in particular it restricts access to the Android/data/ hierarchy apart from each app's own specific folder.

Thus from Android 11 onward, PA is not allowed to create an extra _com.maxmpz.audioplayer folder for its files, but only to use its assigned com.maxmpz.audioplayer folder (without the underscore). However I believe this should only apply to new installs; if you updated a device from Android 10 to Android 11, any previously installed apps that were already using different folders should be permitted to continue doing so.

So if you have installed PA fresh onto an Android 11 device, you'll need to use the com.maxmpz.audioplayer/milk_presets/ location now. You will also need to find a file explorer app that has has been Google-approved to access such a location too - such as Solid Explorer - or use a USB connection from a computer.

image.png

Andre

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Android 11 has changed the rules with regards to apps having access to a lot of storage locations (thanks Google 😠) and in particular it restricts access to the Android/data/ hierarchy apart from each app's own specific folder.

Thus from Android 11 onward, PA is not allowed to create an extra _com.maxmpz.audioplayer folder for its files, but only to use its assigned com.maxmpz.audioplayer folder (without the underscore). However I believe this should only apply to new installs; if you updated a device from Android 10 to Android 11, any previously installed apps that were already using different folders should be permitted to continue doing so.

So if you have installed PA fresh onto an Android 11 device, you'll need to use the com.maxmpz.audioplayer/milk_presets/ location now. You will also need to find a file explorer app that has has been Google-approved to access such a location too - such as Solid Explorer - or use a USB connection from a computer.

image.png

Andre

I'm definitely going to take a look into this. I screwed myself over with a factory reset a month ago (as well as updating to begin with....)

This security crusade is seriously becoming a pain (and a crux arguably)

@D3Seeker In which case your current PA installation would have technically been a 'new' installation on a factory-reset Android 11 device, so you need to look in the Android/data/com.maxmpz.audioplayer/ hierarchy (without the underscore). Also not all file explorers are able to access those folders, although a good many now can.

Andre

Solid Explorer definitely did it. May be a keeper lol

11 is quite the pest. Has to completely rescan the SD card should a restart happen (those are quite often depending on ones phone manufacturer) I could only imagine what a developer has to go through when Google drops this much of a change. Especially a one man army.

The forced-rescan-after-reboot issue was an early Samsung Android 11 ROM bug I believe, and I think has been corrected in their more recently firmware releases. Of course it takes ages for those to propagate via official OTA updates - my own Galaxy A70 still hasn't had an Android 11 update, although my wife's similar A40 has. I agree that Google's storage framework concept is horrible and I wish they would just go back to a simple permission system. But then if it was up to me, my devices would all be rooted anyway; my A70 is the first Android phone I've had that I haven't rooted, and I really miss it at times but the root hack is really convoluted and breaks a lot of apps these days.

Solid Explorer is a decent file explorer app. I chose it when I lost confidence in my previous favourite, ES File Explorer, when that got taken over by another company and the company got embroiled in an ad click fraud and was booted off the Play Store. Solid is a good replacement, with a nice interface, but I do miss being able to have more than two tabs open simultaneously. Also it can't modify file permissions flags, which seems an odd omission.

Andre

A Samsung rom bug? I knew it couldn't all be Google lol. Here's hoping that update drops sooner rather than later for this S10+ lol.

ES was amazing! Solid works, but without lan capabilities it would be a secondary thing here at best.

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Solid Explorer is a decent file explorer app. I chose it when I lost confidence in my previous favourite, ES File Explorer, when that got taken over by another company and the company got embroiled in an ad click fraud and was booted off the Play Store. Solid is a good replacement, with a nice interface, but I do miss being able to have more than two tabs open simultaneously. Also it can't modify file permissions flags, which seems an odd omission.

Yeah, ES was my favorite. But now it's just an adware+spyware...... If you want an all in file manager, I would recommend MiXplorer.  Personally I liked ES features and layout way too much, so it waa hard for me to find a decent file manager alternative. And oh MiXplorer can modify file permission flags (with root access of course) + multiple tabs. 💜

Found the SMB function lol. Seems a bit spotty, and perhaps that's another samsung/google underlying tentacles thing in my case. I'm have to test it out while I have the trial going. Feels a bit cumbersome compared to ES, and even Smart File Manager which I've been using since the whole ES debacle, but even that has become buggy as of late (definitely rom related)

Solid's SMB function works perfectly for me, I have my NAS listed in the quick-access list in the dropdown menu and it always works fine. I just wish I could have three tabs active by default - so fastest access for internal storage, SD Card, and NAS. Minor niggle though.

I also have MiX installed as I prefer its implementation of FTP Server (you can toggle it via the Quick Panel) but I find its file browsing interface is a bit clumsy and cluttered compared to Solid which is rather elegant (same with Total Explorer's Android app, too many unlabelled icons).

Andre

8 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Solid's SMB function works perfectly for me, I have my NAS listed in the quick-access list in the dropdown menu and it always works fine. I just wish I could have three tabs active by default - so fastest access for internal storage, SD Card, and NAS. Minor niggle though.

I also have MiX installed as I prefer its implementation of FTP Server (you can toggle it via the Quick Panel) but I find its file browsing interface is a bit clumsy and cluttered compared to Solid which is rather elegant (same with Total Explorer's Android app, too many unlabelled icons).

Andre

Yeah. Definitely not where I thought it would be. Seems to stop transferring when the screen turns off for me. I move music and videos between my phone and PC all the time so having only half the file show up in the destination is deal breaker. I'll keep testing it out and try MiX as well since those can write to the Android folder, unlike Smart lol

Archived