Making all songs play at the same volume?

I have many songs in many folders.

I often just go to Home > All Songs > Shuffle.

However, some of my MP3s are 25% or so quieter than others, requiring me to constantly turn the speakers up and down, almost per song.

Is it possible to make all songs play at the same volume in Poweramp?

Poweramp does not have a dynamic 'on the fly' volume adjustment facility, but you can use ReplayGain to make sure that each track's peak volume level is the same as the others.

Your files must have the correct tags embedded within them in advance for this to work. If they don't, lots of programs (such as foobar2000) can add them as a batch task. Once you know all your music is correctly tagged, just turn the feature on in PA Settings > Audio > Replay Gain. For All Songs Shuffle I would suggest using the Track Gain option rather than the whole-album setting.

Poweramp's Info/Tags view for a track, showing that the song contains ReplayGain data:

image.png

Foobar2000 track listing for the whole album:

image.png

For more info, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

Andre

7 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Yes, as I said in my reply, Normalise/AGC is not a feature Poweramp has. The stand-alone EQ module has a Compressor feature (dynamic range reduction) which is somewhat similar, but the main app just has Replay Gain at the moment.

Andre

Do you think there would be an option to add this?

6 minutes ago, King Mustard said:

Do you think there would be an option to add this?

A dynamic Normalise feature has been requested quite a few times in the past, but as yet has not made it into the main app. I'm guessing that Max is more focussed on features that make the sound reproduction more accurate rather than less. But as I said, as long as your music files are properly tagged, Replay Gain does quite a good job in the meantime.

I'll move this thread over to Feature Requests.

Andre

One thing that would be great would be a automatic mode for album/track gain selection. If the user would kick off play in a track category, then track gain would be used while a folder category would use album gain.

I'm using 50/50 folder and track playback so for me it would be a hazle to keep on changing the setting.

An automatic mode would be nice - but designed so that if you play from any of the drill-down levels which lead to album-based views it should use Album mode, but from All Songs, Folders, Playlists, or any of the recent/counts/ratings views (or in shuffle modes) it uses Track mode.

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

An automatic mode would be nice - but designed so that if you play from any of the drill-down levels which lead to album-based views it should use Album mode, but from All Songs, Folders, Playlists, or any of the recent/counts/ratings views (or in shuffle modes) it uses Track mode.

Andre

Yup, this would be great.

• 2 years later...
On 3/30/2021 at 9:23 PM, andrewilley said:

Poweramp does not have a dynamic 'on the fly' volume adjustment facility, but you can use ReplayGain to make sure that each track's peak volume level is the same as the others.

Your files must have the correct tags embedded within them in advance for this to work. If they don't, lots of programs (such as foobar2000) can add them as a batch task. Once you know all your music is correctly tagged, just turn the feature on in PA Settings > Audio > Replay Gain. For All Songs Shuffle I would suggest using the Track Gain option rather than the whole-album setting.

Poweramp's Info/Tags view for a track, showing that the song contains ReplayGain data:

image.png

Foobar2000 track listing for the whole album:

image.png

For more info, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

Andre

Thx bro...