Best method to cast Poweramp to a Windows 10 pc while phone is also connected to a DAC?

Karitora

Hi all,

So, I absolutely adore Poweramp's visualization, so much so, that I want to be able to cast it to my PC and have it on display on my second monitor. Now, I feel fairly certain the best method would be USB C to HDMI, but this would mean I wouldn't be able to connect my S10+ to my DAC. I've been trying to think of a solution (ie, being able to connect my phone to my dac and have Poweramp cast to my second screen.) but I can't think of any way around the issue, do any of you have ideas?

TLDR: I'm looking for a means to cast Poweramp to my Windows 10 PC, in full screen, at 60fps, while also being able to connect my phone to a DAC.

Poweramp itself does not cast its screen anywhere. There are Android options such as Chromecast and Android Auto that will send audio and a limited interface to other devices, but not PCs per se.

There are lots of apps around that will mirror your phone's screen to a PC though, or just use Window 10's built-in 'Your Phone' feature to run an Android app from your phone in a window on your PC:

image.png

Andre

15 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Poweramp itself does not cast its screen anywhere. There are Android options such as Chromecast and Android Auto that will send audio and a limited interface to other devices, but not PCs per se.

There are lots of apps around that will mirror your phone's screen to a PC though, or just use Window 10's built-in 'Your Phone' feature to run an Android app from your phone in a window on your PC:

image.png

Andre

I appreciate the response Andre! That said, the issue with casting apps is they tend to have compression and latency issues, do you know of any in particular that work better? 

Edited by Karitora
Redundancy

Casting apps could well have a lag, yes. As I said, PA is not designed to cast its visualisation to a PC monitor.

How about using a Chromecast dongle plugged into the HMDI input of your monitor, and clone your phone's screen that way? Of course the audio will most likely get sent that way too, you'd need to experiment to see if you can get PA to output to a DAC while you are casting the screen. 

Andre

On 11/26/2020 at 8:29 PM, andrewilley said:

Casting apps could well have a lag, yes. As I said, PA is not designed to cast its visualisation to a PC monitor.

How about using a Chromecast dongle plugged into the HMDI input of your monitor, and clone your phone's screen that way? Of course the audio will most likely get sent that way too, you'd need to experiment to see if you can get PA to output to a DAC while you are casting the screen. 

Andre

I don't actually own a chromecast, however, I will purchase one and see how if it works out, if not, I'm sure I can find some other use for it.

Additionally, I'm thinking the best course of action would be to get a phone with two USB C ports, and use one for display output, and the other for connecting to a DAC. Unfortunately,I can currently count the number of phones with two USB C ports on one hand, and whether both USB C ports can be used simultaneously for casting display and audio is another question entirely. It's essentially a question of the phone's capabilities.

Thanks for the suggestion Andre!

Edited by Karitora
Additional Info

15 hours ago, 6b6561 said:

How about a usb-c hub?

I did think of that, but the problem is I'm not entirely certain the S10+ has the software to recognize and send two streams of data (audio and display) through the same cable, and then split it at a hub. However, I don't know much about hubs, do you think that would work?

• 2 years later...

It sounds like you were trying to do something pretty cool with your setup. Did you consider using a Miracast or Chromecast device to cast your phone's screen to your PC? That way, you could still connect your phone to your DAC and have Poweramp on full display on your second monitor.
Alternatively, you could have tried using a USB switch or splitter to connect both your DAC and an HDMI adapter to your phone's USB-C port. That way, you could switch between the two as needed.
Also, if you were looking for cheap windows keys, you could have checked out Reddit for some legit options. You would have had to be careful to avoid any scams or illegitimate sellers.

Poweramp visualizations are milkdrops, there is a plugin for Foobar2000 that adds milkdrop visualizations for the player (I think its called shpeck or something like that) so you can have it on your PC without needing the phone at all and without a delay as well, plus it is configurable.

If you absolutely must have the audio coming from your phone, you could use icecast, and stream the audio from your PC to Poweramp or some other player that supports radio streams. There is a plugin that does that for Foobar2000 as well (I think its called vorbis streamer) that streams in ogg vorbis, but you can easily set up a flac stream with ffmpeg and icecast as well.

Or just use the visualization plugin and connect the DAC to the PC