Duplicates

Rudy

What sort of duplicates? You can already prevent duplicate occurrences of the same song file (i.e. same path and filename) occurring when you add items to Playlists.

If you place the exact same filename into two different folders, PA will indeed read it twice into the Library - is that what you mean? I'm not sure how blocking that would help though, as you could have (for example) several files with the same filename but very different contents - such as Films/Blade Runner/Main Title.mp3Films/Back to the Future/Main Title.mp3 and Films/Star Wars/Main Title.mp3 - where you would want all of them to be included in the Library. Or song files from a live album which also appear with the same song name in various studio albums.

Andre

2 hours ago, Bencherished said:

Some request are made just to pull this Music app backward, being able to see duplicate, helps me to delete multiple same files, therefore regaining storage space. 

Duplicates like this would have to be in separate folders, as the same file name can't exist twice within a single folder. If that is the case, then Poweramp won't be able to distinguish between similarly named tracks that could be by different artists or entirely different songs with the same name.

My best suggestion is to ensure your music files are properly tagged with song names, artist, album, album artist, etc. You could then use any music editor to search for true duplicates and delete some that way. This shouldn't be the job of a player like Poweramp.

I started writing that I don't see it as an unreasonable request to have a "hide duplicates" in the library view settings, but after looking a bit at my own library I no longer feel the same way. What I realized is that have a lot of tracks with numerous versions, original albums, compilation albums, various artists albums...

Bare minimum for a duplicate match would be: Same artist, album, track name and format... all of this would require quite a lot of rules and probably someone would anyway come up with a scheme that brakes the logic.

So I would tend to agree with @MotleyG the best thing is to clean up your library once for all and then be strict when you add new items. It's a pain and hazle to do but it will be worth it at the end. I have gone through my library a number of times and I have most of the tracks properly tagged and organized nowadays but I do still have some minor flaws that I should fix, but they are so minor so that I don't see a need to go through it.

There seems to be software out there designed to fix music dups, but I have no experience with them as I have never had the need for it. You could take a look at https://blogs.systweak.com/4-best-duplicate-music-files-finder-software/

You can also find duplicate filenames if you have (for example) a best-of style collection album and also the original studio album, how is Poweramp meant to decide which one you want in the Library and which one you want to remove? And how would you wish it to handle remasters, where you have the original and a recent remix/remaster both of which have same artist-title filename, but are in different folders? I would suggest using a duplicate file finder program, ideally with your SD Card installed on a PC as it would be much easier than trying to do it on a fiddly phone screen. e.g. https://sourceforge.net/projects/doubles/ 

Andre

Archived