Poweramp for Nvidia Shield TV

heula

Using Poweramp on my phone for a few years now and I like it.

I used to be a winamp user back in the day when I had a PC as media player in my living room. I have never found a media player that was that good that can be used on my Nvidia Shield TV.

I hope Poweramp can be used on the Shield TV someday.  I know I can cast to Google chromecast but it is not stable enough for me.

Thanks in advance.

I can install the apk via sideload and it works but I can't activate it because it's not supported. For that reason I can't import the settings I use on my phone.

Also the interface is not Shield TV friendly so selecting several options isn't real easy.

There is no support for external devices such as my NAS to import music. Only local.

So my request stands. PLease make the app Shield TV compatible because I tested playing some music and it sounded great.

Thanks.

Right, so the app will run but there are specific features that don't work.

An initial direct APK install won't find a Google Play licence, you'd need to be using a website-purchased licence (which is per device by the way, unlike the Google Play licence which is per Google account). Max might be able to tweak the app configuration so Google Play recognises yours as a valid device for installations, but there may be other underlying reasons why he doesn't want to do that.

NAS storage is not supported in any version of Poweramp - unless you use a separate app to create a virtual (symbolic) folder in your device's regular storage which points to the NAS's contents.

Andre

I can't find anything on the website how I can get a website-purchased licence to unlock Poweramp on my Shield TV.

Or how much that is?

I'm willing to pay for it and hope that Max will make it more Shield TV compatible. 

Also am I missing an icon on the main screen to start Poweramp now.

NAS support would also be nice. No idea what app can create a symbolic link to my NAS.

Thanks.

I've just done some searching, and it seems that Google may have borked Linux-style symbolic links in Android, unless you have a rooted device.

For making a website purchase of PA, please see https://powerampapp.com/buy-poweramp/ . However please ensure the trial version works reliably for you first, otherwise you would be wasting your money

Andre

Okay thanks.

I'm going to connect an extenal HDD to one of the usb ports on my Shield TV. Poweramp should see all music on this device I'm guessing.

If the my test period is succesfull I will do the payment. It is not that much. 👍

1 hour ago, heula said:

I'm going to connect an extenal HDD to one of the usb ports on my Shield TV. Poweramp should see all music on this device I'm guessing.

It should do, but sometimes USB-connected storage can be reported oddly by Android, and thus not show up in Poweramp's Music Folder list. You'll know soon enough though, it's either available in the list or not.

Andre

I have imported all my music from my external HDD and that works. Selecting the main folders does not work, I needed to select the sub folders but auto find was helpfull here.

My music sounds a lot better now than it does when playing it with Kodi.

So I have done the payment and I now hav alicenced version on Shield TV.

Still I like it to be more Shield TV compatible because with a lot of buttons you don't see what you select. In the library for example it is trying if you have selected the right button.

when Selecting the bass and treble buttons etc. I cab see what I'm doing.

If this can be improved it would be really nice.

Importing my phone setting worked great.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@heula Poweramp generally works fine with Shield and TV screens + TV remote in general, but it's not "certified" as TV app (it's too limiting for app like Poweramp to do that) so apk should be manually installed.

Okay thanks. It does work indeed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Does this still work? I tried installing the latest version - it installs and I can run immediately after installing.  But it doesn't add add an icon to the launcher to open it again, anyone know how to do that?  I have to re-install it each time I want to run it right now.  

@miketunes seems like some launcher issue, may be there is a setting to allow all apps or unknown apps or non-tv apps? Poweramp is not Android TV app and it's not possible to make it Android TV app (due to the strict limited AndroidTV/UI limitations), but it does work on any compatible Android device, Android tvs and boxes included.

• 3 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 3:55 PM, miketunes said:

Does this still work? I tried installing the latest version - it installs and I can run immediately after installing.  But it doesn't add add an icon to the launcher to open it again, anyone know how to do that?  I have to re-install it each time I want to run it right now.  

I think you need to take a look here.

http://atvlauncher.trekgonewild.de/index.php

• 3 weeks later...

I have it running quite well on my Amazon FireTV stick 4K.  I sideloaded the APK from the Poweramp website and was able to pay for the full version via PayPal from within the app once it was installed.  I have to use a mouse (bluetoothed in) in order to access some settings.  Once all the settings are set, the fire tv's remote works just fine.  The only other thing that is a slight annoyance is, its a little difficult to see selections.  The "halo" that shows up around an item when it is selected isn't as visible as I would like, but they're there.  I am super happy with the results I am getting on the firestick.  There really isn't anything comparable from Amazon, so I'm glad that Amazon doesn't have things locked down super tight.

Edited by bug67
clarity

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 2:25 PM, maxmp said:

@heula Poweramp generally works fine with Shield and TV screens + TV remote in general, but it's not "certified" as TV app (it's too limiting for app like Poweramp to do that) so apk should be manually installed.

Hi MaxMP,

I just installed/sideloaded the latest version of Poweramp (v3.905) on my Shield TV and it does work well but not perfectly.

I understand that making Poweramp Android TV compliant would be a chore but the Shield is a device used by tech savvy people and, like me, they will sideload it if it will work for them. For me, Poweramp's ability to play high resolution audio is key. No other music player does it well.

A few suggestions for a future version:
- Create left and right button commands while in the library to facilitate easier navigation through a large music library with a remote control
- While inside an Artist page, allow an option for smaller thumbnails or text only album names
- Make 'options,' that are in the foreground, highlighted in a way that makes it clear that clicking 'okay' selects them. (i.e. artists in music library or albums in artists)

Great App otherwise. I use Poweramp on Windows PC and love it!

7 hours ago, Stephen-loves-music said:

- While inside an Artist page, allow an option for smaller thumbnails or text only album names

Go into the menu and select List Options and choose the view type that you prefer. Can also be adjusted by pinch zooming on the list on normal Android touch-screens, but not sure if your device's interface supports that?

Andre