Audio cuts out

Brad Dofner

While playing the file continues playing (usually) while the audio will randomly cut out for a second or two. The progress counter of the file continues to count up while the audio is not playing while a few times the progress has stopped as well. I am running build 860 on a Samsung Galaxy A20 running Android 9. This happens on all files and will sometimes happen all the time and other days not at all. It seems to be getting progressively worse over time. I primarily use the headphone jack to patch into my cars audio system. (However, this happens with the speaker as well. I have yet to notice it over bluetooth) At first lowering the volume seemed to make a difference but not any more. A few times recently Poweramp stopped playing with a toast message saying there was a problem and I had to restart the song. I tried resetting to default setting by clearing data and cache as well as clearing the phones cache and performing multiple restarts. Please help as I love Poweramp and want to continue using it to play my music.

This ONLY happens with Poweramp and no other apps that play music or videos.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you guys might have.

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2020 at 12:56 AM, andrewilley said:

Try increasing the buffer size in Settings > Audio > Output > (your chosen output method).

Andre

Hi, I am also currently facing this issue and your suggested solution doesn't seem to work.

I'm unsure if this would help, but the issue seems to have started only recently after an update to android 10 and the recent app updates.
Will try previous versions of Poweramp and will report if issues disappear.

Device : POCO F1 (Android 10, MIUI 11.0.6)

Audio cutouts (on wired connection) means your device is very busy with something and Poweramp is not given enough CPU.  Especially if the phone gets hot in such moments. 

I don't think modern hi-end devices require any buffer changes at all. But those device usually have "smart" optimizers which decides the audio playing app may be paused and should sleep in the background.
For Samsungs / Xiaomis (+ Huaweis and few other OEMs) I would recommend excluding Poweramp (+ Unlocker if you have it installed - system can't distinguish between app and Unlocker) from battery optimizations:

Samsung:
- device Settings / Apps / Poweramp / Battery / Allow background activity (check). (Same for Poweramp Full Version Unlocker)

Xiaomi:
- device Settings / Installed apps / Poweramp / Battery saver / No restrictions. (Same for Poweramp Full Version Unlocker)

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2020 at 2:24 PM, Brad Dofner said:

While playing the file continues playing (usually) while the audio will randomly cut out for a second or two. The progress counter of the file continues to count up while the audio is not playing while a few times the progress has stopped as well. I am running build 860 on a Samsung Galaxy A20 running Android 9. This happens on all files and will sometimes happen all the time and other days not at all. It seems to be getting progressively worse over time. I primarily use the headphone jack to patch into my cars audio system. (However, this happens with the speaker as well. I have yet to notice it over bluetooth) At first lowering the volume seemed to make a difference but not any more. A few times recently Poweramp stopped playing with a toast message saying there was a problem and I had to restart the song. I tried resetting to default setting by clearing data and cache as well as clearing the phones cache and performing multiple restarts. Please help as I love Poweramp and want to continue using it to play my music.

This ONLY happens with Poweramp and no other apps that play music or videos.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you guys might have.

I got the A20 too just a week ago from Best Buy, and I have had no problems with cut outs but I got the newest version on the phone of PA. I got android 9 PIE and have not received the update to android 10 yet. So far it runs just as good as my old S7 edge, which had to get another phone, and on a budget had to get the A20, which is still pretty good without all the features I never used on the s7 edge, except I can't use Samsung Pay, which I did love to use. I also do not use more than 5 apps in recents at same time anyways.

Archived