Installing skins on Fiio M9

Hello,

I'm very happy with Poweramp on my Fiio M9 DAP, but now I'm looking for a way to customize the look; specifically to get it to display larger album art and without text and icons on top of the album art. I have tried to download a couple of 3rd party skins as .apk, but can't install them on my player. Does anyone know if it's even possible to use 3rd party skins for Poweramp on the M9, and how to install them, since it has to be done without Google Play?

4 hours ago, flyingdutchman said:

@Daniel Knollwhen you say they do not install, what actually happens. I know i can search for the spec but for the benefit of the forum users, what is the android version. As for how to install, if you have the .apk, just tapping it will start the install.

The Fiio M9 uses a "highly customized Android 7.0 system". The way to install apps on the M9 is to put the .apk file on the SD card and then in the File manager just tap the file. When I do this with the skin apk, it looks like it very briefly starts preparing to install, but then immediately aborts. Nothing more happens, and the skin is not installed.

• 4 weeks later...

hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone could point me to any alternative themes for the Fiio m9, specifically anything that would allow much smaller icons and text when navigating in folder view. 

i can't read enough of the folder/ filename!

any help greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

The reason for the skin not installing will be that fiio use a whitelist to limit app installations to tested, approved apps. Is there any other way to install Poweramp skins?  Manually placing files or anything? Otherwise every skin would need it's APK registering on the white list, something I don't think fiio will do.

The only way to install a skin is from the Play Store or from an APK file (if the developer will provide you with one). If Fiio restrict you from doing that though (they sound like Apple!) then you need to take that up with them - or root your device and regain your own control of it if they refuse.

Andre

Their reasoning for not providing the play store and whitelisting APKs is that they are concerned about app performance with the processor used, the device is an MP3 player, not a phone and has hardware designed for that purpose, they'd get a lot of complaints about apps not working if users had the freedom to install anything they wanted. it's annoying but I can understand their reasoning.

for skins that leaves the only way to install them would be to change the package name (or whatever they whitelist by) to match a whitelisted app

I realise it's not something an end user can do, only the skin developer however it does mean it would be possible to develop your own skin for a fiio mp3 player if you wanted (not ideal but possible)

Archived