How does PA determine if track is gapless?

storoa

I have a compilation of mp3 files that I found online. When I play them in continuous mode there is an audible gap between tracks with no crossfade enabled. When I enable to crossfade non-gapless/non-cue tracks, PA crossfades the comp even though there are gaps of 2-3 seconds between tracks. Checking the tracks info/tag, none are marked as gapless, though it is a continuous compilation of individual tracks. My question is how does PA determine whether a track is gapless? And how could I mark or tag a track as being gapless? I checked both tagscanner and mp3tag but didn't see a 'gapless' tag.

Ok, thanks but I didn't get what you are saying. I installed iTunes (what shite) but didn't see anything in there to address gapless. Search of zing didn't turn up anything of any relevance. Not a big deal but just coureous how PA IDs tracks as gapless.

The problem with audio files is that they may contain very short patches of silence at the start or end, due to the block-based encoding systems. You might be lucky and these could be so small that you don't hear them when two tracks are played back to back, but usually there is some audible jump. The gapless flags can tell the player how to handle this, and exactly where the change-over point should be so you don't hear a tiny glitch between songs - and also to suppress any crossfade process of course.

PA does not introduce any extra silence though, even with non-tagged tracks, and it plays songs as closely together as possible (but that might include portions of silence at the start or end which are included in the track).

Andre

I figured it out. I re-encoded the files using a LAME front end I found online. No loss in quality. Checked spectrogram and listened on PC using foobar with ABX comparator. All files now flagged as 'gapless' by PA. Re-encoding added 2 KB to file size. Thanks for the help.

Yes, I think re-encoding is the best answer as I believe gapless is not just an on/off flag, it also gives offset information as to exactly where in each file the cutover should take place (to allow for slight overruns caused by block sizing I assume?).

Andre

Archived