Arrange search results

It would be nice to give the possibility, in the settings, to arrange the order in which the results of a search are given. For example I see myself searching a lot for Artists, but when I search, the first results are all the songs of that artist, so I would like to put artists on top of search results.

• 2 months later...

You can enable/disable various types of results via the List Options screen if you don't want certain categories displayed, and change the view type (which is new) but you are right that you cannot alter the viewing order of those categories that are set to be displayed.

Andre

I am indeed aware of the possibility to exclude/incluce certain categories, but yeah my feature request is all about reorder them. Actually it would be nice to have the possibility to reorderd the categories also in the library view. The little menu of selecting categories that comes out might have some little icons on the right and once you press on them and slide the categories will order.

Here's a little concept I've thought about:

image.thumb.png.38622e35f815385762942a18b7ae7bf5.png

4 hours ago, shmykelsa said:

Here's a little concept I've thought about:

image.thumb.png.38622e35f815385762942a18b7ae7bf5.png

That strikes me as an excellent idea, it could be used in several screens such as the Library top level, and the Search results that you mention. Even for the pop-up menu (long-press on artwork) in the player screen, which would be nice to be able to add/remove items and re-order too.

Andre

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dont know if this has been already asked but didnt find an answer so maybe anyone could provide an input.

Is there a way to display the songs by album or any other listing option when using the search functionality? I have specified my search filter to look for only Artists, and currently after searching the Artist I want the result list comes with all songs by that given artist, which is not much useful, I would like to see the albums by that artist after searching in the same way it works when using the Artists view.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, supcube said:

You should specify it to not only Artists but All Songs and Albums as well. At least that's what does it for me.

Hi thanks for you reply.

This is however not what I enquired on my comment. What you mentioned is the search list options which appear in the results list once you search for something. So if you specify Artists, All songs and Albums in the list options, when searching for example for "Beatles", all songs/albums from band "The Beatles" will come up in the result list, as well as all artists where the name include "Beatles" as well as any songs/albums where the name contain the text "Beatles", even if they are not from the band "The Beatles".

That's quite powerful and handy if you want to search for some specific song which you know the name. But if you simply want to search for a given artist and then from there navigate to this artist's library the result list is not much helpful. So back to my initial comment, what I actually mentioned is the ability to display results in a more organised way. So using "Beatles" as my example. If I set my search list options to only Artists, when searching for "Beatles" I would only see in the results the artists containing the name "Beatles". I would then select the artist named "The Beatles", and I would expect to see all "The Beatles" songs organised by Album, in the same way as if I had opened "The Beatles" from the Artists option in Library view. What currently happens when using the search functionality is all songs and albums are returned when clicking on the artist, with no grouping -  You can sort the results, but the main issue is that the search results shows "All Artists songs" rather than being possible to customise how you want the results to display.

Unless this is introduced in a newer PA version, I dont think that's possible to do as of today.

• 9 months later...
On 11/11/2019 at 3:19 PM, Rogerio da Costa said:

Hi thanks for you reply.

This is however not what I enquired on my comment. What you mentioned is the search list options which appear in the results list once you search for something. So if you specify Artists, All songs and Albums in the list options, when searching for example for "Beatles", all songs/albums from band "The Beatles" will come up in the result list, as well as all artists where the name include "Beatles" as well as any songs/albums where the name contain the text "Beatles", even if they are not from the band "The Beatles".

That's quite powerful and handy if you want to search for some specific song which you know the name. But if you simply want to search for a given artist and then from there navigate to this artist's library the result list is not much helpful. So back to my initial comment, what I actually mentioned is the ability to display results in a more organised way. So using "Beatles" as my example. If I set my search list options to only Artists, when searching for "Beatles" I would only see in the results the artists containing the name "Beatles". I would then select the artist named "The Beatles", and I would expect to see all "The Beatles" songs organised by Album, in the same way as if I had opened "The Beatles" from the Artists option in Library view. What currently happens when using the search functionality is all songs and albums are returned when clicking on the artist, with no grouping -  You can sort the results, but the main issue is that the search results shows "All Artists songs" rather than being possible to customise how you want the results to display.

Unless this is introduced in a newer PA version, I dont think that's possible to do as of today.

Have we got any updates on this one would you know please? @andrewilley 

I would appreciate both arranging search results and seeing albums instead of songs when searching for artists.

When looking up artists in the library, I get the following (image), which I personally like much better than the list of all songs I get in search results, because i can still get to all the songs quickly.

Screenshot_20200903-190653.thumb.jpg.11a22e1841ef06497ecffb0b1ec607e9.jpg

Archived