Embedded album art is sometimes corrupted

pafb

Hello,

In some cases, embedded album artwork is displayed corrupted inside of Poweramp, even in when I have not transcoded the file for use on my phone.

The very same files display their album art correctly within foobar2000, but in Poweramp, the embedded album art only renders the first few rows of the image before it turns into blank grey. In this particular case, every file of a MP3 album has the same embedded image (manually via mp3tag) and each file shows the same corruption. There is no front.jpg or similar in the directory that they reside in.

Perhaps Poweramp has issues reading ID3v2.4 tags? I've experienced this before in the past and cannot recall if those files were also ID3 (MP3) or VorbisComments (FLAC/OPUS).

After a bit of further experimentation, it seems the problem is more to do with the actual transferring process, as deleting the files, full rescanning, and re-transferring the files seems to have fixed the problem. I'm not sure if it's Windows' fault for transferring poorly or something to do with Poweramp reading incorrectly. I did resave the tags (without changing them prior to re-transferring) in mp3tag to rewrite/refresh the tags and perhaps that helped too, but all this time foobar2000 has had no issue displaying the artwork as it should be. It's a bit unclear what the issue is, all I know is that on occasion, I've experience corrupted embedded album art in Poweramp. I haven't thought to test albums that exhibit this bug in another player but I will do so next time.

Is this a known issue? I would submit a test file but after re-transferring the files, the bug is no more. Screenshot of corruption (notice the rows of pixels stop rendering).

Thanks.

Moto G4, v3-build-820-play

In this case, an embedded JPG at 1200x1190 with a filesize of 245 KB. For MP3s I embed however large (pixel-wise) of an image I can as long as it's under ~250 KB. For FLACs I typically just embed the original artwork which is normally above 1000x1000 and around 1–2 MB.

I wonder if the JPEGs are encoded with the Progressive display option? Just a thought anyway. Clearing the cache and/or Full Rescan seem to have helped in your case anyway, but if it persists then a few sample files might help to see if other people find the same issue with your files.

Andre

They may be. I know that JPG album art that I edit myself I re-save using the Progressive option with the maximum of 5 scans. The album art for the album in question was not edited by me so I cannot say. The source image. Also, I strip the metadata from artwork that I embed to save on filesize.

Archived