Poweramp Build 817

maxmp

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

I just looked at some of my MP3's and they are 44.1khz.   It seems common to me.   are you saying it's not common for mp3's to be 44.1khz or not common for it on android?

Uncommon for android. Stock google's android also upsamples to 48kHz, otherwise we all (atleast most of us) know that most mp3 files are @ 44.1kHz. Samsung in the past did implement native 44.1kHz playback when such a file is played, sadly that is removed now and that's what we discussed with max.

12 minutes ago, cha0z_ said:

Uncommon for android. Stock google's android also upsamples to 48kHz, otherwise we all (atleast most of us) know that most mp3 files are @ 44.1kHz. 

CD-ripped files will always be 44.1kHz, unless the ripper has decided to lower the rate for space reasons, DVD-ripped audio will more likely be 48kHz (or higher for special versions). Anything else is up to the originator to choose. Not sure what the iTunes/etc services tend to default to, I never use them.

I don't know why Android defaults to 48kHz these days, 44.1 would seem so much more sensible for most general audio work. I guess they figure that upsampling is rarely objected to, whereas downsampling is not good marketing.

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

CD-ripped files will always be 44.1kHz, unless the ripper has decided to lower the rate for space reasons, DVD-ripped audio will more likely be 48kHz (or higher for special versions). Anything else is up to the originator to choose. Not sure what the iTunes/etc services tend to default to, I never use them.

I don't know why Android defaults to 48kHz these days, 44.1 would seem so much more sensible for most general audio work. I guess they figure that upsampling is rarely objected to, whereas downsampling is not good marketing.

Andre

I always wondered myself for years why google decided to go that way. You reasoning seems plausible. Anyway, for the people that want the closest thing to not resampled sound on samsung android 9 - Poweramp+hi-res+24bit/88kHz(176.4,352.8), i.e. perfect rounding X2 44.1kHz. This should lead to a pretty close result. Also you can check out the default resampler as there are two options(sw, sox - the latter is famous one for really high quality).

Edit: actually no matter what you set beyond 48kHz, only 192kHz and 384kHz are actually used. I really think that samsung outdid themself on that android version. :D

1 hour ago, cha0z_ said:

I always wondered myself for years why google decided to go that way. You reasoning seems plausible. Anyway, for the people that want the closest thing to not resampled sound on samsung android 9 - Poweramp+hi-res+24bit/88kHz(176.4,352.8), i.e. perfect rounding X2 44.1kHz. This should lead to a pretty close result. Also you can check out the default resampler as there are two options(sw, sox - the latter is famous one for really high quality).

Edit: actually no matter what you set beyond 48kHz, only 192kHz and 384kHz are actually used. I really think that samsung outdid themself on that android version. :D

you think they will fix this in some of the next updates? 😅

6 minutes ago, ░▒▓█ クリス █▓▒░ said:

you think they will fix this in some of the next updates? 😅

From my years of experience with android and knowing samsung pretty well - no, they will not. Most likely for the next android version next year. The only hope is max to find a better workaround, but he is really limited to what he can do from the sound subsystem samsung implemented. There is no possible way to literally bypass everything and "talk" directly with the DAC. Same way as you can't play a sound via windows app from the soundcard without a proper driver (for simple analogy).

Archived