Option to disable swipe navigation on cover art has disappeared

SerialK

Poweramp v3 has swipe-focused UI (there are even << >> buttons by default), it’s used not just for album art on main screen, but for miniplayer, in lists as quick return to parent lists, in equalizer pages, etc. Disabling this makes little sense.

9 hours ago, maxmp said:

Poweramp v3 has swipe-focused UI (there are even << >> buttons by default), it’s used not just for album art on main screen, but for miniplayer, in lists as quick return to parent lists, in equalizer pages, etc. Disabling this makes little sense.

I'm ok with swiping in general but I often listen to audiobooks with a couple of hundred tracks. 

It's no problem if I accidentally skip to the next track or something but it's quite annoying if you accidentally change to a different folder by one quick motion and you don't know which track you were at in your book..

so a specific option to disable album/folder changes would make much sense in my opinion.

10 hours ago, vAmp said:

How can I swipe to NEXT album?

Why are there so many buttons I don't need and therefore don't wanna see?

You can't, unless you are already at the first or last track of an album in which case a longer-than-normal swipe action will move to the next or previous album. I'm not sure why up/down swipes no longer have the facility to change lists like they used to.

Enable Pro Buttons in Settings > Look and Feel > Skins to get the old <<< and >>> buttons back.

@SerialK You can't disable gestures at the moment like you could on the v2 app. Hopefully Max might add that back in at some stage, as a number of people seem to want that (especially to disable the single-tap anywhere on the album art, which I must confess even I manage to trigger by accident on a regular basis). 

Andre

• 2 months later...
On 12/8/2018 at 5:16 PM, maxmp said:

@maxmp,

Swiping to navigate on mobile UIs has always been problematic for me, and I've never wanted it. I have accidentally changed tracks with a "swipe" dozens of times; I have intentionally changed tracks with a wipe zero times.

Why was this option removed? This was an actively used feature in v2. Please bring it back :) 

7 hours ago, danhash said:

Why was this option removed? This was an actively used feature in v2.

Because most users ( meaning most of those who participated in decision making ) decided not to keep the old UI and modify it but rather replace it with a completely new one using the latest technical features.

3 hours ago, blaubär said:

Because most users ( meaning most of those who participated in decision making ) decided not to keep the old UI and modify it but rather replace it with a completely new one using the latest technical features.

However the OP  does have a point that it's all to easy to throw out the baby with the bathwater in such projects.

Personally I can't see any reason why the original option to disable swiping cannot be easily implemented in the new UI too. Or better still, provide a few choices for what actions the different swipes produce - change tracks, lists, volume, disable, etc (although would be a bit more work for Max).

Andre

On 2/27/2019 at 11:24 PM, blaubär said:

Swiping isn't part of "the latest technical features". Removing a critical usability feature isn't a step forward.

On 2/28/2019 at 2:33 AM, andrewilley said:

However the OP  does have a point that it's all to easy to throw out the baby with the bathwater in such projects.

Personally I can't see any reason why the original option to disable swiping cannot be easily implemented in the new UI too. Or better still, provide a few choices for what actions the different swipes produce - change tracks, lists, volume, disable, etc (although would be a bit more work for Max).

Andre

I don't know why some people have such a bone for swiping. It's messy and doesn't work well. And it's confusing, now that there are several other places to swipe, such as swiping right on a track list to go to the album list.

I paid for this media player, and it's the best one I know of for Android. I would gladly contribute to a Patreon project or some other method of continuing revenue for the developer. I support the developer of my favorite podcast app this way. It's ridiculous to remove usability features with no option to get them back. I can understand that if you like swiping, it may be hard to understand why somebody else wouldn't. And I understand that the developer can't predict everyone's preference. But this media player isn't just another free app to me; I paid for it and would love the opportunity to continue to support the developer financially, and I would even support a "bounty" model for users to pay (vote with their dollars) to get certain features/bugs moved up in priority. I'd pay to fix this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just accidentally changed tracks via the swipe again:

To get from the Now Playing screen to the current artist's other albums, it's swipe down then swipe right, and it's easy to get these confused when swiping quickly.

• 2 years later...

I don't need the swipe navigation on cover art, please add an option to disable the left-right swipe as it immediatly plays the next or previous track, I'm ok with the swipe down as it shows the list of that folder