Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Today my Galaxy S8 was updated from Nougat to Oreo.  I've been running PA 703 on the S8 and on my old S5 without any issues. 

After the update, Poweramp would only open up right after a restart of the phone for a few times and now it won't open at all.  I just get a black screen even after a restart.

I backed up the presets and my ratings prior to Oreo update.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled  Poweramp three times, twice through the Play store and once on this site. Onsite I tried version 704 but it does the same thing.

Is Oreo a major problem? All my other apps are not affected.  I'm hoping somebody with some Android savvy can give me some tips to get my beloved Poweramp back to a working state.

Edit: The Oreo update is the official Verizon version.

Edit: After doing what I should have and done a search, it looks like I'm far from the only one with Oreo issues. Reverted back to V2 and am back in business. It won't import my eq settings but another app successfully restored all ratings. Now I join the others who are waiting for V3.0 to be finished.

Update: Forgetting I had automatic updates set for apps, Poweramp went ahead and updated itself back to 703. It has been working very well except that sometimes won't open and goes to black screen. When that happens, I just restart the phone and all is well.  This happens about half the time.  Before, it got to where it wouldn't open at all.  I'm thinking (dangerous) maybe installing/updating on top of Oreo is a more compatible sequence than updating to Oreo on top of Poweramp.   May be good until V3.0 now.

Edited by Zeem
more info
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 7:27 PM, Zeem said:

Today my Galaxy S8 was updated from Nougat to Oreo.  I've been running PA 703 on the S8 and on my old S5 without any issues. 

After the update, Poweramp would only open up right after a restart of the phone for a few times and now it won't open at all.  I just get a black screen even after a restart.

I backed up the presets and my ratings prior to Oreo update.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled  Poweramp three times, twice through the Play store and once on this site. Onsite I tried version 704 but it does the same thing.

Is Oreo a major problem? All my other apps are not affected.  I'm hoping somebody with some Android savvy can give me some tips to get my beloved Poweramp back to a working state.

Edit: The Oreo update is the official Verizon version.

Edit: After doing what I should have and done a search, it looks like I'm far from the only one with Oreo issues. Reverted back to V2 and am back in business. It won't import my eq settings but another app successfully restored all ratings. Now I join the others who are waiting for V3.0 to be finished.

Update: Forgetting I had automatic updates set for apps, Poweramp went ahead and updated itself back to 703. It has been working very well except that sometimes won't open and goes to black screen. When that happens, I just restart the phone and all is well.  This happens about half the time.  Before, it got to where it wouldn't open at all.  I'm thinking (dangerous) maybe installing/updating on top of Oreo is a more compatible sequence than updating to Oreo on top of Poweramp.   May be good until V3.0 now.

I'm having the same issue, except reverting back to an official build of Poweramp doesn't work either. I'm on beta Oreo but I suspect an official update won't resolve it. I'm hoping it does though. How did you get it to work?
 

EDIT: I take that back, V2 works fine. When I update to v704 though, it goes back to the black screen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of differences: You're on Oreo beta, I'm on official Verizon Oreo just rolled out late last week.  Yours updated to 704, mine 703, why I don't have a clue.

Mine opens fine about 80% of the time now and functions perfectly including proper notification function.  It's doing better as time goes by for some reason. When it doesn't and goes to black screen, I just restart the phone and open Poweramp first thing and it hasn't  failed me yet.

Reading other threads suggest that when V3 is released, the Oreo issues will be resolved.  If I were you and was on beta, I would definitely revert back to Nougat if a safe way to do it is available. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Zeem said:

Yours updated to 704, mine 703, why I don't have a clue

704 is only available here on the website as a download, it is not on the Google Play beta programme.

If PA is important to you, I agree that rolling back from a beta Oreo to Nougat in the meantime (if that is easily available to you) might be a prudent option.

Andre

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2018 at 2:56 PM, Zeem said:

A couple of differences: You're on Oreo beta, I'm on official Verizon Oreo just rolled out late last week.  Yours updated to 704, mine 703, why I don't have a clue.

Mine opens fine about 80% of the time now and functions perfectly including proper notification function.  It's doing better as time goes by for some reason. When it doesn't and goes to black screen, I just restart the phone and open Poweramp first thing and it hasn't  failed me yet.

Reading other threads suggest that when V3 is released, the Oreo issues will be resolved.  If I were you and was on beta, I would definitely revert back to Nougat if a safe way to do it is available. 

 

 

14 hours ago, andrewilley said:

704 is only available here on the website as a download, it is not on the Google Play beta programme.

If PA is important to you, I agree that rolling back from a beta Oreo to Nougat in the meantime (if that is easily available to you) might be a prudent option.

Andre

At this point I might as well wait. The official build should be released anytime now as it is hitting the carrier-locked S8 and S8+ in the United States.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I knew how to revert back to nougat without destroying my Samsung galaxy s8 plus, I'd definitely do it.  I'm a little nervous about that.  I just get the black screen too.  This is my favorite and most used app.  I'd hate to lose it.  The other closest app is jet audio but it just not the same.  Been using Poweramp for many years without a problem until this damn oreo installed on my phone. Using ATT if that helps any.  I'm driving myself crazy trying to get it to work.  It may be redundant, but any other suggestions would be awesome.  Thanks fellas! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dooly said:

Typo

I finally got it to open after performing multiple installs.  Disabled auto app updates and notifications.  Using beta pa.  Hope it doesn't crash again.  I'm nervous about that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dooly,

I'm sure you have tried what I wrote about previously in this thread, but just in case:

On my S8 with Verizon Oreo update, if Poweramp won't open I restart the phone then before doing anything else open Poweramp.  This has worked every time for six days now.  When I first had problems, I was going through settings taking shots in the dark hoping to tame the issue.  Only when I did a clean install of 703 from the play store running the default settings did things start to work.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I'm not going to even think about working settings until V3 comes out hopefully next month.  One other thing, to avoid having to restart the phone so often, I just don't close Poweramp so it's still open and ready to go.  Just have to be careful not to select the close all button.

Hope you can get things rolling and am interested to see if you can get good results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dooly said:

I finally got it to open after performing multiple installs.  Disabled auto app updates and notifications.  Using beta pa.  Hope it doesn't crash again.  I'm nervous about that.  

Did you keep uninstalling it and then reinstalling?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2018 at 11:36 AM, johnbyebye said:

Did you keep uninstalling it and then reinstalling?

Yes.  Many times.  Not too many issues now.  No idea how it finally started working.  Crashes from time to time but I'll restart my phone and it seems to fix it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Martin Medrano said:

I have the same issue how do you go back to v2

Just download the .apk file from the tab at the top of this page and install it (after uninstalling the v3 alpha build). If you backed up your settings before starting as suggested, re-install your old settings (same goes for any internally-created Playlists, Export and then Re-import after rolling back).

If you subscribed to the test version visa Google Play, you can unsubscribe the same way (https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.maxmpz.audioplayer

Andre

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Martin Medrano said:

I reverted back to v2 and it works fine but I went back to the beta and it gave me a black screen 

Are you using the APK or installing the beta via the play store?

I got it to work by using the APK's only. Uninstall v2, restart the phone then install v2 588 APK again. Install the v3 703 APK on top of it. It should still be working at this point. You can then install v3 704 APK if you like. I did it this way and it's been working.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I kept uninstalling beta with oreo multiple times.  Finally it worked and has been pretty stable level for the past few days with several hours of use.   Reinstalling the beta is definitely possible.  It took me almost 10 attempts to work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Martin Medrano said:

I installed the v2 apk and the 703 alpha apk but it still gives me the black screen 

Then best to stick to the release build for now until the next beta release of v3 which should include better compatibility with Oreo devices. 

Andre

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...