• Announcements

• andrewilley

Poweramp v3 Project Update   03/22/2017

As you may be aware, the Poweramp developer has been working hard on an updated material design user interface for Poweramp v3 which required a full ground-up rebuild of the code. It's not quite ready for open testing yet, and although he would like to be able to get it out by the end of the March it may just drop over into April. See forum thread for more details and to discuss.    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
w3wilkes

New Poweramp v3 / KitKat?

13 posts in this topic

Will the new Poweramp v3 with Material design be backward compatible for those of us stuck on Android 4.4.2 KitKat?

Yes. In fact I run KitKat 4.4.2 on my main device and use the v3 alpha-test on it. I could upgrade, but the hardware is still great and I'm just hoping that at some point Google will get over their Material Design dalliance... :( One day I'll have to 'upgrade' though I guess, as there are a number of apps that I use which I can no longer be updated to their latest release versions.

Andre

I thought that Material Design wouldn't be available until the beta we're waiting for this month. Does this mean you're running an alpha of v3 beyond 704 with the new Material design implemented?

1 hour ago, w3wilkes said:

Does this mean you're running an alpha of v3 beyond 704 with the new Material design implemented?

No, why?

Andre

I thought the Material Design functionality was implemented in Android 5.0 Lollipop (API Level 21). This is why I asked the original question about the new Poweramp v3 with Material Design being backward compatible to Android 4 KitKat. When you said your Alpha level is running fine on your current Android 4.4.2 it made me wonder if you had the Poweramp with Material Design and your were saying that the new Material Design Poweramp would be fine on Android KitKat.

Material Design apps (i.e. ones that follows Google's look and feel guidelines) don't necessarily need to run on a recent OS, although they would match the look better if they did of course.

Andre

Based on this reply it sounds like there has been nothing said that the app will be backward compatible to Android KitKat.

What part of "Android 4.1 minimal version" above is unclear? It should work fine on KitKat as far as Max has stated so far. Material Design was introduced for the OS's look and feel with Lollipop, but an app can just as easily be written based on the same visual guidelines for any version of Android.

Andre

Thanks, I was not aware that Max had stated that the new Poweramp v3 would be KitKat compatible.

I've checked this with Max. The current v3 alpha-test build 704 should be compatible with 4.1 upwards. However the next beta-test version, which will include the new user interface, and the final v3 release will be Android 5+ only (so Lollipop and upward). The old v2 version will remain available for older devices, but will not see regular updates.

Andre

Looks like I'm not the only one that will be buying new hardware to be able to run the new Poweramp v3 with Material design.

9 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

Looks like I'm not the only one that will be buying new hardware to be able to run the new Poweramp v3 with Material design.

Yes, me too in fact. Which is a shame as I really prefer the look and feel of KitKat, but it's getting to be necessary to 'upgrade' for a number of apps nowadays. :(

Andre