Local license verification

I use Poweramp almost exclusively on Transpacific or Transatlantic flights, and start the software after the aircraft has pulled away from the gate.  For the third time I have received a message "Failed to Verify License" or words to that effect, making the software unusable for a 12 hour flight.  Why does the software keep having to verify the license?  It is absurd that the software can only be used when there is an internet connection. This is the only software that I'm aware of that requires this.  Why isn't the license resident on the hardware on which the app has been downloaded?  The app is otherwise good, but unfortunately useless.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the forums, but I work as a software engineer for a company. It's extremely common for Digital Rights Management to be always on. I've never had the problem on my app, (purchased through the play store), but I can understand your frustration. 

A really horrible case of this is Sim City from EA. 

Poweramp isn't even close to that. I do disagree with always active DRM and would prefer less frequent checks if they happen. Use Wireshark capture packets maybe of the app startup, but I'm guessing it doesn't check often. I have it installed on an old phone in my car that's always on airplane mode, never connected to the internet lately, and it runs fine. 

I think you should mention the app version and where you got it from. Maybe it's specific to non play store purchases. 

Again, I'm a noob on the forum, but I want this app to be the best. 

-Paul

• 1 month later...

I returned today from a trip to London. An hour or so into the flight Poweramp again stopped working with the usual message about being unable to verify the license without an internet connection. So for the remaining nine hours of the flight to Los Angeles I couldn't use this app.  I don't think that I have ever completed a transatlantic or transpacific flight and not have PA stop working once disconnected from the internet.  Other users must be using  PA on airplanes, so why does it always happen to this installation?

For the record, the hardware is a Zenfone 2 running Android 5.0.  The Poweramp Version/Changelog shows "2.0.10-build-860588-x86-play (Full Version)". Now that I'm connected to the internet, the Poweramp About page also confirms with a check mark  "Purchase Verified   Store: Play".   I have never reinstalled PA (although at this point maybe I should), installed a new ROM, or reset the system.  

Hoping that the problem might go away is obviously not a viable solution, so what is the next step?

- Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I knew why some people seem to be affected by this issue and not others. I've just come back from a UK > USA four-flight trip and Poweramp worked perfectly for the whole journey time, including rebooting the phone during landing/takeoff, and without any in-flight internet (mine is just a regular Google Play licence).

Andre

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

"Failed to Verify License"  happened to me today,  for the second time. Both times I was in a state park, without wifi access.   Played fine for 30 or so minutes then stopped with the license error.  This happened with the thePoweramp unlocker  app on my phone.  The phone is the Moto X Pure  Android 6.0 .   Poweramp version 2.0.10-bundle -588-play(Full Version) .

How does one avoid this license problem?

continuing from my previous post....

I just read help text that say license is only checked  once,  unless the app is re-installed, or a ROM update occurred.  

For this second fail, There was maintenance security release update about a week ago, while it kept the same Android release 6.0 level, I'm guessing that qualifies as a ROM update?  I guess that must be what triggered the recent license fail.  Currently Poweramp say's Purchase Verified Store:Play  under settings-about.  So this license problem should not re-occur, right? 

I don't remember the details of the first fail, it did happen when the phone what fairly new, so maybe the app timed out trying to confirm the license. I most always use the Poweramp  where there is no wifi, and I keep my cell data turned off which must aggravate this license issue..

The official stance is that after being checked online and approved within 24 hours of install, PA never needs to verify the licence again unless it is re-installed, you install a new ROM, reset the system, etc.

However I do see this sort of issue reported quite regularly in the forums (at least once a week) and Max has said he suspects that some devices (he thinks most likely ones with custom ROMs) are not saving the licence state correctly to allow it to survive a basic restart, causing some people to get this problem after simply turning their device off and on again. This of course is bad for airplane travellers who will have no internet connection when they restart their devices after take-off.

Andre

Archived