Battery drain/heat

Poweramp was working like a dream until a week ago. I wish I knew what caused the change. After listening to music for about 5 minutes the phone becomes very hot and the battery drains rapidly. 

I've had to change to lesser music players for the time being but I badly want Poweramp back. How to fix?

Build-976-bundle-play-[976004-c2601e58]

Galaxy s23+

Android 14

15 minutes ago, Morbidpale said:

I did do a reinstall. There hasn't been a recent update. 

I tried the reset on audio outputs but the problem still remains.

Added any new apps about that time? Changed settings on any already installed apps about that time? Have you actually checked that PA is the cause of the overheating/CPU drain?

Edited by dvhttn

No recent changes. I did check the battery stats and it is Poweramp. I tested it over several days. Totally pa that is the problem. I use it everyday, all day without a problem. So weird that it changed suddenly. 

When you did a clean install, the problem still occurs even without restoring any settings? Try only assigning one small folder for music at that point in the Music Folders screen - just one album folder for example.

Andre

On 8/7/2024 at 1:10 AM, Morbidpale said:

After listening to music for about 5 minutes the phone becomes very hot and the battery drains rapidly. 

This would suggest that there is some intense processing going on in the background. Have you changed the feature Settings>Audio>Resampler option to SoX, while using lower resolution audio files? Or a similar issue could be you are setting the current output method (Hi-Res?) to resample the bit rate or format again from a lower resolution to a much higher format. These tend to consume the most horsepower on top of the standard playback features.

I would try resetting the output methods to default first. And if you did enable the SoX resampling, set that back to SW instead.

@MotleyG Hence my suggestion to do a clean install and try with the original default settings before trying to restore any settings. Something has clearly changed, just not sure what yet.

Is there any other audio processing going on? (external EQ app, Dolby processing, etc)

Andre

I did do a reinstall and went through to make sure everything was reset to default. 

I did Double check that I was on SW.  

Eq is even set flat with no extras turned on. 

I hard stopped all apps and let music play to the same results. 

Arg! Perhaps I should just get a music box and listen to three blind mice for the rest of my life. 🥴

On 8/7/2024 at 1:10 AM, Morbidpale said:

Build-976-bundle-play-[976004-c2601e58]

Galaxy s23+

Android 14

The only thing you haven't mentioned yet is what you are outputting your music to. Does this occur with wired output? Speaker? Or are you connecting to a USB DAC device of some kind?

There hasn't been a Poweramp update, or even a beta release, in quite some time. All of your PA output settings as suggested a couple of times here have been reset to default by now. Either a recent OS update is causing this grief, or there is some device conflict going on. There is no other explanation for the increased power and CPU consumption. 

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Hence my suggestion to do a clean install and try with the original default settings before trying to restore any settings.

Sorry for the repetition. I missed your post going back through this thread. The S23 is a common device yet it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue with PA.

5 hours ago, MotleyG said:

The only thing you haven't mentioned yet is what you are outputting your music to. Does this occur with wired output? Speaker? Or are you connecting to a USB DAC device of some kind? 

Good question. Only bluetooth. Ear buds, android auto, speakers. 

I've even tested it just playing through phone speakers. 

Very strange. So the problem is present with any output device, and also with the screen on or off I assume?

Could you post a pic of your system battery usage screen, as Poweramp is always around 1% of overall usage for me, even when I've been doing some testing.

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Very strange. So the problem is present with any output device, and also with the screen on or off I assume?

Could you post a pic of your system battery usage screen, as Poweramp is always around 1% of overall usage for me, even when I've been doing some testing.

Andre

Tip Try Using AccuBattery App For Detecting CPU Core Uses And Power Consumption of Poweramp

EDIT : It'll Also Shows Temperature.

Edited by Somnath Khole