Artist Aliases

Posted (edited)

Option to add one or more aliases (possibly different names an artist goes by) under an artist. You could have the main name that they go by, then once you click onto their page there could be list of their aliases in there (or something along those lines). And all of the other aliases would essentially link back to the main page where all the albums and songs would be shared collectively, basically in a group/folder. I just want to be able to group stuff together better (or at all) and have less clutter (specifically in the artists section).

Edited by J2w4A8

Not quite sure how that could work? Artist names are solely derived from the relevant tags embedded within the music files (TPE1, or 'ARTIST'). You can have multiple Artist names within each tag (for duets, contributing artists, etc) but they are then treated as separate unconnected entities in terms of sorting - so "Under Pressure" might be tagged as being by "Queen ; David Bowie" or "Queen ft. David Bowie", and the song would thus appear in both of their song lists.

The only way I can see your concept of dual names for one artist working (other than by creating two separate entities, as described above) would be if you subtitled an Artist's name within the embedded tag itself. e.g. "Cat Stevens (aka Yusuf)" would be treated as one artist. But you would need to be consistent in your naming approach, as "Yusuf (aka Cat Stevens)" would be considered a different artist.

Could you explain a bit further about how these alternative names might be stored in the music tags?

Andre

Posted (edited)

I think it could be as simple as using a specific splitter in artist tag. The splitter could literally be "alias" and the name that directly followed populates the alias.

Edited by Ash Roarshock

@J2w4A8 what you are proposing can only be done when AI have been added to to Poweramp, because asking Poweramp to remember AKA is not possible right now, likewise any other music player, in the info/tags options, there is no place provided for other Artists Name or AKA.

If you really want to input any extra information about an artist or song, I suggest you use the comment column in the info/tags. 

Bencherished 

On 5/10/2024 at 11:33 PM, J2w4A8 said:

Option to add one or more aliases (possibly different names an artist goes by) under an artist. You could have the main name that they go by, then once you click onto their page there could be list of their aliases in there (or something along those lines). And all of the other aliases would essentially link back to the main page where all the albums and songs would be shared collectively, basically in a group/folder. I just want to be able to group stuff together better (or at all) and have less clutter (specifically in the artists section).

There are plenty of tag fields already in the spec for additional Artist info like Performer, Soloist, Band, Conductor, and many more. If you are using a desktop with library management software like Foobar or MusicBee you can highly customize what you see and how it is sorted.

But on a mobile device your choices are much more limited. The sheer power and space required to manage extra tags that wouldn't be used by the majority simply makes it unreasonable to add to PA or any other player.

To have a cleaner list, consider using the AlbumArtist category.