Very slow Full rescan

I am having issue with first/full rescan of library on my Hiby M300 (last firmware, android 13).
I have around 8000files, most of them FLAC.

With the playstore version, the full rescan was too slow i could not even wait for.

With the web downloaded version, with legacy mode ON, it’s taking less, but still around one hour to complete which is much more than even my old Sony A105 with Android 9.

Is it normal?

Anyone sharing their experience?

Edited by Daniele Martire

1 hour ago, Daniele Martire said:

I am having issue with first/full rescan of library on my Hiby M300 (last firmware, android 13).
I have around 8000files, most of them FLAC.

With the playstore version, the full rescan was too slow i could not even wait for.

With the web downloaded version, with legacy mode ON, it’s taking less, but still around one hour to complete which is much more than even my old Sony A105 with Android 9.

I'm assuming these are on an external SD card, given the Hiby doesn't have enough internal storage typical for 8k audio files.

Have you tried a different card to make sure it isn't an issue there first?

Do you have these files in a Structured folder/filename format including a main library folder that isn't a standard OS name? A folder like "Music" may have the OS scanning it while you are also trying to scan with your Hiby player app. Try renaming it to something the OS won't try to steal, like "Daniele Tunes" or anything that Android won't take over.

3 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

I'm assuming these are on an external SD card, given the Hiby doesn't have enough internal storage typical for 8k audio files.

Have you tried a different card to make sure it isn't an issue there first?

Do you have these files in a Structured folder/filename format including a main library folder that isn't a standard OS name? A folder like "Music" may have the OS scanning it while you are also trying to scan with your Hiby player app. Try renaming it to something the OS won't try to steal, like "Daniele Tunes" or anything that Android won't take over.

1. Correct, they are on an external microSD

2. I did not try, as the same card is fairly new and was working much faster (in terms of Poweramp full rescan) on the older Sony A105.

3. In the SD root, the structure is MUSIC/ARTIST/ALBUM. They hiby player app is force stopped.

thanks

3 minutes ago, Darkaeden said:

3. In the SD root, the structure is MUSIC/ARTIST/ALBUM. They hiby player app is force stopped.

I suggest you try changing this to something like TUNES/ARTIST/ALBUM as Android sees the MUSIC/ folder and is trying to read it as well.

Edited by MotleyG

1 minute ago, MotleyG said:

I suggest you try changing this to something like TUNES/ARTIST/ALBUM as Android sees the MUSIC/ folder and is trying to read it as well.

Ok, i’ll try tomorrow! Thanks!

even if i don’t understand which concurrent android tasks would be using the music folder (as Hiby music is stopped forcibly).

@MotleyG ensure that Poweramp itself is installed on the internal storage (not moved to sdcard/external storage). Other than that, scan reads minimum amount of data from the files and if the device file subsystem can't handle reading few kilobytes per file, it's slow. Try different/recommended file system / ensure storage is not corrupted by checking for errors on PC or (better) reformatting it fresh as bad sd cards blocks cause massive unavoidable on app level lags on Android.

I tend to pop a .nomedia file into my top-level music folder, which stops Android from checking that entire folder for any music content.

Legacy File Access Mode will probably be faster than the normal Android 13 Storage Access Framework, but not all devices are made equal in terms of directory crawling and reading speeds.

I agree that it could be worth doing a clean reformat of the SD Card and then copy all of the contents back from a backup store, just to optimise any fragmented layout a bit.

Andre

@andrewilley Legacy File Access in the new Poweramp may be potentially faster and is fast for old Androids (5-10), but for the older Poweramps and/or Androids with legacy file access emulation via SAF (e.g. 11-12-13) it may be slower and may hide file formats not supported by the Android itself.

Sometimes it's quite hard to describe the situation with the file access in Android, as each major release seems to change it radically internally, with various layers of emulation for the "older" APIs. Poweramp SAF scanner should be fast for fast storages anyway. If you have slow or bad storage, it may be slow, esp. on the concurrent access with other apps/system media scanner, freeze on some bad file, or crash player on bad block access.

10 hours ago, MotleyG said:

Tried but it’s still slow. As I speak, 3000songs found out of 8000 in 20minutes…

guess I’ll have to format the sd and check how it will go.

not sure if I shall keep the legacy ON or OFF though.

43 minutes ago, Darkaeden said:

Full rescan

There are two phases within a Full Rescan. The first phase crawls through all of the directories that you have set as 'Music Folders', and it simply finds any audio files (e.g. *.mp3, *.flac, etc). That should only take a few seconds. The second phases starts again and checks the contents of every one of those found files for Title, Artist, Album, etc tags. The second phase takes a lot longer as it has to access every file directly, and slower file systems will show up most at that stage.

Andre

48 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

There are two phases within a Full Rescan. The first phase crawls through all of the directories that you have set as 'Music Folders', and it simply finds any audio files (e.g. *.mp3, *.flac, etc). That should only take a few seconds. The second phases starts again and checks the contents of every one of those found files for Title, Artist, Album, etc tags. The second phase takes a lot longer as it has to access every file directly, and slower file systems will show up most at that stage.

Andre

The second phase of the full rescan is the one that takes long for me.

im currently backing up all my micro SD, so that i can format it and check if it helps.

any other suggestions on how to speed it up? File system you mean the one of the micro SD?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

On 1/4/2024 at 5:27 PM, andrewilley said:

I tend to pop a .nomedia file into my top-level music folder, which stops Android from checking that entire folder for any music content.

Legacy File Access Mode will probably be faster than the normal Android 13 Storage Access Framework, but not all devices are made equal in terms of directory crawling and reading speeds.

I agree that it could be worth doing a clean reformat of the SD Card and then copy all of the contents back from a backup store, just to optimise any fragmented layout a bit.

Andre

I have noticed a difference of behaviour between legacy Android and Android 12/13.

I have a Sony NW-A105 (android 9) and a HiBy DAP like the original poster. On the Sony, Poweramp ignores .nomedia well during scans. On the Hiby/Android 12, with file access legacy mode enabled, .nomedia files are parsed so the media inside the folder ignored.

Edited by karry

Poweramp should not be checking for the existence of .nomedia files at all. Any folders chosen via the Music Folders menu should always be scanned by PA even if a .nomedia file is present. The file is purely to prevent the Android system media scanner from also scanning the same folder(s) if you don't want it to.

Andre

I can't seem to reproduce the scan behaviour on my phone either, FALM or not, but it doesn't have a sdcard slot. .nomedia files are always ignored as intended.

So either sdcards are treated in a different way, or more probably it is a HiBy ROM thing. I can't scan library without legacy access mode on it at all.

Edited by karry

Sorry for double post.

Found something on the  Hiby r6 gen 3.

The scan without File legacy access mode is working properly by turning off "All files access" for external storage (apps > special app access > all files access> show system).

All files are found correctly unlike in legacy mode in which module files are ignored. Song count is identical to other DAPs (I have cloned microSDs for different devices beforehand).

Playback works correctly except for modules which would fail to play. Giving file access back to 'external storage' system app makes playback of module files working.

Full rescan takes around 10 minutes for ~15500 songs, ~300 videoclips and ~150 modules.

Quick scan only takes 15 secs (much slower in legacy mode).

Poweramp full rescan requires reading tags from each song you have in the Poweramp library. The tag can be as small as 1 kb, or it can be many MBs, if the file contains huge album art, for example. In any case, tags must be read. The overall speed is defined by the speed of the storage AND the concurrency for the storage access (meaning, system and/or other player(s) may scan same storage at the same time, reducing scanning speed). AFAIK Poweramp scanner is the fastest on Android, but it can't overcome your storage reading performance limits.

35 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Hence my earlier suggestion of using a .nomedia file to hide your Poweramp music collection from the Android scanner, at least that's one less thing trying to access the same storage anyway.

Andre

This is what I have tried before finding the external storage trick. Renamed the Music folder into my_media and put a .nomedia file. Scan without Legacy mode was stuck at stage 2 with 80/16289 for 20 minutes and device became warm. Decided to abort it and reactivate Legacy mode and it found only 36 files in a full scan because somehow, .nomedia was not ignored. So I decided to play with parameters to find a satisfactory state since Hiby's implementation of Android seems dodgy.

I wanted to try the playback of .s3m/impulse tracker module files that is a quite niche thing. Without that, I would be quite satisfied with the legacy file scanner which detects all the other audio files but it was a bit slow in a quick scan. As using a DAP from a chinese brand is already a niche...

Anyways, props to @maxmp for implementing libopenmpt into Poweramp 😃