playback garbled (too fast & choppy) on .m4b audiobook (tempo adjustment no effect)

As you say, there is a Tempo control (mainly used for spoken word material) but that should not come into effect unless you manually adjust it.

Could you upload a sample file for testing please, as PA is optimised for music rather than audiobook file formats?

Andre

If 10 seconds of a mono voice recording at 65kbps is 30Mb, something could be wrong with the file. I would have expected that to be well under a Mb. Audacity may be re-encoding though rather than losslessly trimming, better to provide a whole sample file (I assume it's in chapters rather than one huge 12 hour file). 

Andre

more than likely i'm doing something wrong in audacity.

it is in 1 x 12 hr file rather than chapters. i tried again to create a smaller sample using lossless - and that just wouldn't play.

don't worry about it - i like the app, but if i just need to use vlc for the occasional poorly ripped audiobooks - it isn't a big deal.

Regards

Simon

Do you have a PC available? If so get ffmpeg and do

ffmpeg -hide_banner -loglevel fatal -stats -i "input.m4b" -c:a copy -ss 00:01:00 -t 00:00:30 "output.m4a"

This will seek to around 1 minute and get a ~30 second sample from there without reencoding, which should be pretty small in file size

M4B is a weird extension, don't usually see it, thats why the output is m4a instead since I dont know if ffmpeg would complain about it

Or if you prefer audacity you're probably exporting the file from as lossless, be sure to change it when exporting to some lossy format. Though the reencoding process could mess things up by acidentally fixing it (the ffmpeg command doesn't reencode, it just cuts a section of the audio without doing anything else)

Audacity will be simply loading the audio content into its buffer (as uncompressed/PCM) and then re-saving it into the format of your choice, it won't retain the original binary source file data.

Even the ffmpeg solution might not provide a perfect reproduction of the issue as it will probably have to write new header data out even if it keeps the accurate binary content of the audio segment, and the issue could be in the header.

Certainly playing a 12-hour mono lowish-bitrate AAC file is an unusual requirement for an app designed to play music...

Andre