Full screen Poweramp / Android Auto Coolwalk not working.

Halvard

Hi there

Since a few month back Android Auto have a new "coolwalk" screen  could Poweramp developers support the feature so we can have full screen mode in the latest AA application?  Waze Beta now supports it along with Google maps.  Just thought this would be a good feature to add for the paid version.

I'm not getting full screen with Poweramp and AA at all, it just stays as a split screen no matter what button a press. 

using Google Pixel 7 Pro (BUILD 13(TQ2A.230405.003E1)

AA version 9.4.631614-release

Poweramp build 957

Hense the request to coolwalk support

As I said, Poweramp has supported Coolwalk from the start. This is how full-screen should look when you tap on the audio player panel in the main multi-panel Android Auto screen, or on the Poweramp button in the taskbar (the exact layout will vary for different screen ratios):

image.png.4ebbb3f0f519151ae75f00e6b31107 

My AA version (dated 25 April) is 9.3.631434-release by the way, are you using some kind of test release or is that perhaps the default version number for Pixels? What does your screen show exactly? Is the screen so wide that AA already considers the half-width display to be as big as it needs to be? (Just guessing here, I didn't think AA could do that)

Thread moved to Bug Reports as this is definitely an issue regarding your setup, not a feature request.

Andre

in my view the widget icons are on the right hand side and not at the bottom.  I have tried numerous settings to figure out how to move the icons, but they are locked on the side.  I have also tried forcing different resolutions, but nothing seems to work.  I'll take some screenshots of settings later today.

PS. I have changed the topic title.

The position of the taskbar buttons is determined automatically by Android Auto, based on the screen ratio, and is not meant to be user-configurable as far as I know. Sometimes you can fool it by adjusting the underlying DPI settings, but that's a bit of a geeky trial-and-error process. You can edit the order of the buttons you see there though, in the 'Customise Launcher' section of the AA app on your phone.

Is your display so wide that you already see the full-width navigation and media-player screens side-by-side? Or do you see the abbreviated overview media player panel, which generally will have a tinted colour effect over the whole panel.

I suspect you might get more answers from a more specific Android Auto discussion forum, as this isn't anything Poweramp has any control over. Perhaps Google's or for more technical discussion, XDA.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Navigation is not full screen when side by side. It's more 30/70 Poweramp/Navigation.

The screen is 10.25" as far as I know. When I tap either the Google maps navigation window or the navigation icon on the right, then Google map goes full screen.

In the 30/70 view if I then tap the Poweramp window or the Poweramp icon the Poweramp moves to the right to become the 70% of the screen and Google maps is 30% if that makes sense ...

Still sounds like this might be a very wide screen ratio (wider than regular 16:9 for example) for which AA has determined that it can fit everything that it would want to show in a normal-ratio screen onto just a section of the wider screen area. It would be up to AA or the head-unit to make that decision though, not Poweramp.

I you'd post a picture though, that might help. Do you see the full Poweramp content when it is using 70% of the screen - i.e. background is not colour-washed, and it shows the full 5 buttons below the song info area, the scrollable seekbar, and the library access options at the top? If so, what do you expect to gain from using 100% other than spreading the existing content out sideways?

Andre

On 5/10/2023 at 5:49 PM, andrewilley said:

Still sounds like this might be a very wide screen ratio (wider than regular 16:9 for example) for which AA has determined that it can fit everything that it would want to show in a normal-ratio screen onto just a section of the wider screen area. It would be up to AA or the head-unit to make that decision though, not Poweramp.

I you'd post a picture though, that might help. Do you see the full Poweramp content when it is using 70% of the screen - i.e. background is not colour-washed, and it shows the full 5 buttons below the song info area, the scrollable seekbar, and the library access options at the top? If so, what do you expect to gain from using 100% other than spreading the existing content out sideways?

Andre

Here are the screenshots 

Standard view when AA loadsPXL_20230512_062648119.thumb.jpg.f7c2052abc1aefb1047efa154a2be36e.jpg

Google maps in full screen mode when I tap on the maps icon.

PXL_20230512_062657733.thumb.jpg.4df9825eb135f4bf24cb2885500ef60a.jpg

When I tap the Poweramp icon on right hand side, Poweramp moves to the right, but not full screen.

PXL_20230512_062709527.thumb.jpg.0a4bf0a37c3a2008d5963ee0d74dcd13.jpg

Hope that explains my situation.

Edited by Halvard

@Halvard That shows exactly what I was expecting. Your head-unit screen is such a wide ratio that the entire normal 'full size' media panel can be displayed completely within that 70% portion of your screen. There is no need for it to be any wider, as even if it did that would just result in the existing items being padded out horizontally so you wouldn't gain any extra extra content anyway.

I guess 100% width might help with grid view library contents, where you could perhaps see a few extra covers displayed, but otherwise AA has decided that to make the view any wider is unnecessary. Unlike the maps view, where you do see useful extra content. So as far as I can see it's an AA choice which has nothing to do with Poweramp, and you'd need to discuss that in an AA forum. Out of curiosity, do any other media apps (e.g. Spotify) show anything wider?

Andre

Tried Spotify but had the same issue.

I initially suggested this as an issue as Waze do e the same thing, I til an update was released which made it full screen too.

Anyway thanks for clarifying that AA coolwalk now affects most 3rd party apps(full screen mode)

I guess it's rather as I rather suspected, instead of being a bug this is actually an Android Audio Cookwalk Feature. Why stretch a fixed-content interface all the way across a wide aspect ratio screen when there isn't really enough content to fill it. The current 70%/30% display shows all of the media interface, plus allows enough spare screen real estate to display something else too.

Andre