Android Auto bug - Audio playback not matching timestamp

duraz0rz

Car: 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 9 - Stock ROM
Poweramp version: 3.0 build 856

I typically listen to very long DJ sets (think 4+ hour long MP3s) in the car when I'm driving to and from work. The commute is only 20-25 minutes, so I obviously can't listen to the whole set in one drive.

Something I've noticed is that, after a few drives, the audio playback does not match the timestamp in the UI. You can definitely tell by the "end" of the track, when audio playback continues while the UI reports that the song has finished (4:00:00/4:00:00 for a 4 hour set). I don't immediately notice it because I listen to a lot of trance; it takes me a few more drives to realize that I've listened to that particular section. I don't know how long of a set you would need to actually trigger this, but it usually happens around 1.5-2 hours in.

If you need an example of what should trigger it: 

https://soundcloud.com/bryankearney/bryan-kearney-open-to-close-button-factory-dublin-november-2019

This is probably not an Android Auto issue, it is more likely that the track does not contain enough seek helper information within its metadata. I've seen the same thing with other very long tracks where PA has to try to try to work out how to seek to part-way through several hours of data (especially if the track is saved in VBR mode). Have a check to see if this is the case during normal phone use too (not in the car).

It might be worth having a look at some of the programs mentioned in https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/find-and-fix-damaged-mp3-files/ which could possibly rectify this issue for you? I've not tried any of them myself, so if you do find one that identifies an issue and fixes the file for you, could you post back here to confirm? (obviously try this on backup files first)

Andre

Archived