Android Auto bug - Playback resumes after plugging in, then pauses

duraz0rz

Car: 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 9 - Stock ROM
Poweramp version: 3.0 build 856

Music playback pauses after an arbitrary amount of time after resuming when plugged in. Tends to happen when the backup camera is on.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the same with my Hyundai Android-Auto head-unit, and I agree it's a bit annoying.

When I first press Play in the Android Auto interface (or when I select 'media' mode via the steering wheel controls, which should also start playback) I hear a very brief clip of music (less than a second) and then it goes back into pause mode again (and is shown that way on both the Android Auto display and the PA Player UI on the phone screen). I need to press the Play icon on the unit for a second time for playback to resume normally - and after that, the controls respond fine.

Andre

• 1 month later...

@maxmp can I send you any debug info, as this happens every time I first start playback via Android Auto (USB connection to Hyundai factory-installed head-unit) and it's obviously not just happening to me. I see the same as the others, the first press of the Play button in the Android Auto Poweramp interface briefly commences playback (half a second maybe) and then it pauses again. I have to press Play for a second time for it to start playing properly, and afterwards in that session I can play/pause/skip fine. There's nothing in the Last Processed Commands log by the way, just one BTReceiver headset connection event to the car (because BT is on).

Andre

14 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Plain BT works fine, play means play. It's only in Android Auto that this issue occurs for me.

Andre

Same here - and the same symptons described by you above with the brief music clip then pause. However, I'm using Android Auto for Phone Screens rather than AA as you seem to be. Dunno if that helps at all ...?

FWIW, the pausing happens to me, too. Regardless of settings in Poweramp; I can turn off "resume on xxxx" or enable, the result is the same. AA has introduced a lot of problems since its overhaul last year. My phone is a Samsung on Android 10, but this happened on Android 9 as well.

It doesn't happen when my wife uses her phone, also a Sammy on 10, in her car. Which is newer than mine. Both on the same version of Poweramp.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just sent @maxmp a log-file recording when this issue occurs. I waited until the recent AA update in case that fixed it, but the problem still happens.

The first time I press play after connecting my phone to the car head-unit (or the head-unit tries to auto-play), Poweramp plays for a fraction of a second and then pauses again. Pressing Play for a second time starts playback properly, and from then on play/pause works normally for the rest of the session. Problem does not occur with Bluetooth connections, only Android Auto.

Andre

Was that logfile any help Max? I've just found that the problem also occurs if you try to listen to music from PA via the Android Auto app on the phone too, so you can test it without needing a separate AA head unit. The first time you press the Play button in an Android Auto / Poweramp session, PA commences playing for a fraction of a second and then pauses again. If you press Play for a second time it works fine from there on.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add that I've recently started using (got working!) Android Auto on our works vans (new Mercedes box vans). I can confirm the play/pause issues mentioned above but also a different issue that's probably related. If the playing gets interrupted for any reason (for example, today my phone holder, and thus my phone, fell off the windscreen and broke the cable connection. Plugging things back in and everything was fine except that PA would only do the play/pause thing. But a subsequent 'play' only led to an immediate 'pause'. I tried play on the head unit and phone with the same results. I decided to leave it as it was and about 10 minutes later (when I could next stop and check) it started to play again when I hit the 'play' button.  

The playing has been interrupted for other reasons over the last week and a similar thing has happened.

Note 9 running a mostly stock Android 10 with the 864 version of PA.

@dvhttn how exactly your headunit / Android sends events to apps, including Poweramp is visible via Poweramp settings / Headset/Bluetooth / Last Processed Commands. I've seen cases when headunit + Android (failures like this are caused by playback state desync between those) are sending wrong commands to app.

You may get better results by using standard (AudioTrack / OpenSL) output instead of Hi-Res. You may try Settings /Audio / Advanced Tweaks / Emulate Media Stream if you wish to continue to use Hi-Res output. If your Android is recently updated with OTA, often old "descriptors" are wrong and unpairing and pairing the headunit again is required (though this affects all players on device, not just Poweramp).

@maxmp Did you have a look at the logfile I sent about three weeks ago regarding this issue?

For me, the bug recurs after every Android Auto connection. When you first press the Play button in Android Auto, PA starts to play for a fraction of a second and then it reverts back to the paused state. The next time you press Play, it works fine and continues to work normally for the rest of that session.

This also occurs when using just the stand-alone Android Auto app on the phone itself, with no connection to a car, so I don't think it's a remote pairing issue. It also occurs with OpenSL ES too, and there is nothing in the Last Processed Commands list as Bluetooth is not being used. However it does not seem to occur with other audio apps in Android Auto - I tested using Black Player and Rocket Player  and they both worked fine first-time.

Andre

@andrewilley Logs emails are heavily filtered and quickly deleted - I can't find it now - please resend. I certainly can't reproduce this issue on my phones, but I don't test AA on every possible Android + device combination (e.g. not tested on Android 10/R ATM), though I tested this scenario on Android 10 + Auto For Phone Screens + BT device.

• 6 months later...

This still happens to me. Worse still: of I try to resume through my car's infotainment screen, Poweramp "crashes" on it and says it can't load. But if I unlock my phone and press Play from Poweramp it immediately begins to play and feed playback info to Android Auto again.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure what I should be looking for but:

==================
21:40:27.361 BTReceiver headset event
connection BT=true am mode=0 Mazda
==================
21:40:27.454 BTReceiver headset event
disconnection BT=true am mode=0 Mazda no_keep_notif_on_dscn=false
==================
21:40:27.468 PlayerService onRoutingChanged
newDevice=bt oldDevice=speaker